Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

To those who had/are having kids at your reception...

Did this affect your music selection in any way? For instance: Were there any songs you would have wanted to be played if there weren't kids, but didn't play because of content? Did you play any songs specifically for kids, as in The Chicken Dance or Hokey Pokey? Any other tips on music selection? TIA :)
image"

Re: To those who had/are having kids at your reception...

• Options
    I know it's bad but we're not censoring our music at all.
  • Options
    I don't think its going to change it any. We hadn't planned on playing anything with explicit lyrics anyways and we actually are the weird people that like all the line dances and stuff. So it's staying pretty much the same.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    We had two kids at the wedding AND we had grandparents, etc. at the wedding... So we planned our music to be respectful of all ears. Just something to think about ;)
  • Options
    Nope didn't affect the music we picked in any way.  We didn't have anything that was offensive though.
  • Options
    nope.  Well I take that back, the DJ did play some line dance song from the Disney Channel.  I had never heard of the song before or even heard it since.  But all the parents with younger kids danced with my nieces and nephews (they were the only kids).  I didn't care he play it as the dance floor was packed.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Yes, unfortunately we had to go with an alternate for our first dance, which was originally going to be Closer by NIN.I'm still sad about that.
  • Options
    We're having I believe 5 guests that are children (Ranging from ages 1-11) ... we're not letting it affect the music selection.If the parents of these kids were more on the "stuffy" side, it might have changed things, but the parents are pretty lax themselves (Like, they don't change the radio station if a slightly inappropriate song comes on in the car while the kids are present), so why should FI and I worry about censorship if they don't?

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    I don't think so. I'm putting the kabosh on all rap, all r&b (unless specifically on our song list) and all disco. Not that disco contains explicit lyrics - I just don't want it.Most of the kids at the wedding will be under 8, some as young as 1, so I'd be surprised if they made it to the end of the reception. Depending on how many are coming, I'm probably going to look into hiring a babysitter and a room at the hotel we are reserving our block of rooms at. That way, the parents can drop them off and come back if they need to, or leave the kids there for the whole reception. And we might be able to play NIN or something later in the night.And there's no way in hell I would ever do the chicken dance, electric slide, hokey pokey, macarena, or any of that cheese shiit at my wedding!
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I'm not having kids at my wedding, but if I were I probably wouldn't change much.  We'll have our pretty straight-laced grandparents there, so we're not going to have anything offensive.  I doubt I would add anything.
  • Options
    What msmerymac said. We requested that no rap, R&B, disco/club music, etc. be played. About 70% of our guests were Latin, so we played a lot of Latin music along with American jazz, classics, etc. All of the music was respectful and everyone danced and had fun ;) Also, this is just my (probably very conservative) opinion, but whenever I've seen bumping and grinding at a wedding it has detracted from an otherwise elegant affair. It's supposed to be a wedding, not a frat party.
  • Options
    We're having kids at our reception but we're not catering to their musical preferences at all, and we're certainly not playing The Chicken Dance or Hokey Pokey. The kids will run around and have fun wether the DJ plays fun songs for them or not.
  • Options
    Well I definitely wasn't planning on having people bumping and grinding at my reception, but there were a few songs like "Sexy Back" that I was questioning might not be suitable for kids. Thanks for sharing your experiences! :)
    image"
  • Options
    No. We played no songs with offensive content, but it wasn't because there were kids there. We only had 1 group dance (The Cupid Shuffle.) My tip would be to choose a wide variety of songs that would appeal to people of all ages. Motown/"Oldies" songs are always great - at our wedding, they got everyone moving.
  • Options
    I'll probably have 40+ kids at my wedding and I have no intention of censoring the music.
  • Options
    We wouldn't want anything with questionable content being played at our wedding with or without young guests present. We don't want any organized dances like the hokey pokey, and having kids around doesn't change our feelings on that. I agree that it's not a frat party, but it's also not a children's birthday party either. Your DJ should be able to find a good balance of music that appeals to a wide range of your guests.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Planning Bio - A Total Work in Progress...
  • Options
    Ok, in Texas we do the Chicken dance for the adults.. the kids can join in if they want ;) I am not exactly censoring the music, but we are picking it according to what we think our guests will enjoy and dance to. The music I used to dance to in the club is defnintely not appropriate for this occaision, not do I want my grandparents to have to watch me dance to it. Most kids i know are more interested in chasing the lights around the floor than listening to the lyrics of songs, but that is beside the point. I want my guests to enjoy themselves, so we will be playing songs that we both enjoy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    We didn't give it a thought.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards