Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Planning on a budget....any suggestions?

My fiance and I are going to be getting married next year in Louisville, Ky. This is my first wedding and though I am completely exctied, I don't even know where to begin as far as planning, especially on a budget. Our original budget was $10,000 but since we have moved the date up 2 years, we plan on shrinking it to a $3000 maximum budget. I want my day to be special and unique and I don't know how much 'uniqueness' I can get for such little money. If anybody has any ideas as to how to plan on a budget or any ideas about the ceremony and reception, I would be eternally grateful. The only thing we've agreed on to cut the budget so far is to have family make the dinner instead of having it catered. That way we all know what we're eating ad we didn't pay extra money for a bunch of food that's not going to get us full. Again, any contributions you may have would be wonderful.

Re: Planning on a budget....any suggestions?

• Options
    Try the budget board too!
  • Options
    Well, the venue and food is generally the biggest chunk of a budget -- looks like you're off to a good start.  In Louisville, you should be fine.  What makes a wedding uique is the details.  Are you crafty?
  • Options
    My cousin also had a low budget for their wedding and catered it with the help of their parents.  They saved some money by having their ceremony and reception in the same hall.  The hall they rented was actually an old, historical building, so it was a bit different from a lot of places that would have similar cost.  I think the building only cost them a couple hundred, and they actually had it for a full 24 hours, so they were able to set-up and decorate it the night before.  They did beer and wine only, and had a friend do their photography. 
  • Options
    What specifically are you looking for? Are you wanting indoor or outdoor? You'll want to stay away from most places that people are going to recommend to you in terms of venue. You won't be able to go to Bernheim Forest or Yew Gardens or anything like that. You might want to check out Duncan Memorial for a ceremony venue[URL]http://www.kykinfolk.com/oldham/cem/duncanchapel.html[/URL]I think its 200 for 2 hours. They also have suggestions for places to have the reception. Basically, you want to stay away from any of the big names that people are going to recommend. You can email me with any specific questions at louisvillebride @ yahoo dot comOr you can look on our local board. Just find the click down menu, Kentucky and then Louisville.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    Oh, and if you are going to skip the alcohol, you can have the ceremony and reception at my church. It's 1,000 for the whole thing for pretty much as long as you need it. Check my bio for pictures. I think its one of the most beautiful churches in town.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
     FI had friends who did a low budget wedding and it was actually really cool. The DIY boards and Budget boards are also really helpful, and your local KY board will be able to help out with some details too.So these friends saved HUGE on using their friend's newly constructed garage and back yard to hold the ceremony and reception. Basically, they got their site for free, and there was free parking. Also:- FI's friend's bride had her dress made by her mother- each had only 1 attendant (saved $ on presents, etc)- DIYed makeup, hair and nails- The couple made their own food - chicken mole and tofu mole as a vegetarian option. They had a big chest freezer where they stored the pans for about a month. We also had salad, bread and wedding cake.- iPod for a DJ- had a decorating party the night before and served friends pans of lasagna for a "rehersal dinner"- They were able to put pics on the computer right after the ceremony for people to look at <-- cute idea.- Obviously, they bought their own alcohol. The groom also opened some homemade beer. A friend served as makeshift bartender- A friend got licensed to officiate the ceremony- Had some friends donate fiesta ware to use for china and used paper napkins and colorful table clothsThere are also a bunch of things you can cut out, depending on what's important to you. Most people on this board recommend that you go with cheap stationary or make your own invitations, since they just get thrown out anyway. Other things that aren't necessary (or may not be, depending on your situation):- Save the Date cards- engagement photos- videography (or just have a friend do it)- chair covers- champagne- wedding cake (do a smaller cake, or cupcakes)- floral centerpieces or ceremony flowers- limos, especially if the ceremony and reception are in the same location- petals, birdseed, rice, or doves for the ceremony- favors
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Oh, I also meant to say that there's a fine line between asking people for help and demanding that they work for you for free. But most people will be willing to help you pull it off.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I'm late to this, but I'm also in Louisville.  There are a lot of things you can do to minimize cost.  If you're up for it, Frankfort Ave. Beer Depot does very good, very cheap catered BBQ.  There are tons of other similar options -- just need to think creatively.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    I don;t really have any advice for you except that you should never refer to it as your "first wedding." That implies that you plan on having another one. ;) And the girls on P&E will beat you over this mistake....just warning you.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    Squirly, I got vetoed for Marks or Bootleg. Boo! They also vetoed it for the RD. Not cool, FMIL, not cool. Ok, not really, but I did toss the idea on the table. It would have been my first choice though, if we were going for a picnic type wedding.
  • Options
    DIY will be your friend if you want a unique wedding on a small budget. :)
  • Options
    Another tip is to be brutal with the guest list,  If you only have 20-30 close friends and family, your money will go a lot further than if you are trying to invite 100 odd people.Pick the day and time wisely as that will have a huge effect on prices. Work out when the off peak season is and go for that.Google the $2000 dollar bride blog, lots of good ideas and read through this post from a while back, which had loads of budget friendly tips for a bride trying to plan a $500 wedding!http://talk.theknot.com/boards/main_frame.aspx?page=ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=9
  • Options
    annoying, the link is wrong... anyhoo, it's on the budget wedding board, posted 9/4/2009, and it's entitled "in tears over the budget", posted by Mischa1
  • Options
    Ditto on the DIY budget-savers. You can do a GREAT wedding for $3K. We're staying under $5K when it's all said and done, and I'm doing almost everything DIY. I'd love to help if you need any ideas or tips. Just shoot me a post here on P&E.
  • Options
    Just got married in Louisville, so feel free to email me with questions too.  Lived here my whole life and I'm very thrifty.  There are a ton of budget friendly ideas in this city. kmp9922@yahoo.com  I also have a lot of items for sale from my wedding that you might be able to use and save money depending on your colors. 
  • Options
    tigger9922, what all do you have to sale and what were your colors? And louisvillebride21, can I get the name of your church so that I can look it up online?
  • Options
    here is the link to the photos, and the prices for everything is listed on the Trash to Treasure Board, but I can email you additional info on anything you are interested in.  I sold the tiara and earings, but I still have everything else as of right now.  http://s987.photobucket.com/albums/ae354/jimmy2383/Wedding%20Items/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards