Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Squee: Huge Donation to my High School

"Chatham Hall, an internationally renowned girls' boarding school, has received a $31 million gift from the estate of alumna Elizabeth Beckwith Nilsen, Class of 1931. This is the largest single gift to any girls' independent school." [url]http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS125128+14-Oct-2009+PRN20091014[/url] This is so exciting! I hope they'll use some of the money for more scholarships for deserving young women. Thank you, Ms. Nilsen!!!

Re: Squee: Huge Donation to my High School

• Options
    Squeeing is frowned upon.However, that is really cool.  I hope they put it to great use.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I think that's definitely squee worthy :)

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    That's amazing! I always thought if I was ever in the position where I could donate a large amount of money to something, I'd give it to my high school too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    Ooops, haha J&K :)

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    :) I don't mind "squee-ing" in the sense of being excited, but I really hate the word.  It reminds me of a pack of middle school girls that won't shut up and talk 10 miles a minute and scream and shriek.  We need a new word for squee.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I wonder if her graduated in 1931 influenced her amount of $31 million. Either way, that is a whole lot of money!!
  • Options
    That's awesome!
  • Options
    Wow!  I would love to be wealthy enough to give big to the places that have enriched my life.  I give to my college every year, but only a little bit for now.  I know every dollar counts, but it would be amazing to give something that would have such an impact.
  • Options
    Valley - Thank you for pointing that out ;) I hadn't even considered that! The gift really is a dream come true, especially since lots of schools are having to tighten their belts due to the economic downturn. We recently had a capital drive and raised about $25 million - but this is incredible. It couldn't have come at a better time.
  • Options
    I would probably give it to my sorority or my college, both of which do great things if I had that kind of money. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards