Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NWR skin questions/I need a food fairie.

A few NWR questions: 1. I'm 24, and wondering what I should be doing for my skin.  It is for the most part clear, but all I do on a daily basis is wash it either with face or hand soap, put on some generic pink face moisturizer, and some benzoyl peroxide zit cream on problem areas. I feel like I should be doing more in terms of preventing wrinkles and such taking better care of it.  Also, I'm poor, so please don't recommend daily facials. :)  Any suggestions? What is your skin care regimen?2. DH, however, does nothing at all to take care of his skin (he barely shaves and washes his face on a regular basis), and his skin isn't really clear.  I know it bothers him, but he just hasn't ever really known what to do about it. It wouldn't be a big deal if he wasn't a picker, but he's already got a few small pock marks/scars on his face. I've slowly convinced him that it's not girly to wash your face, and now he's curious what else he can do to help his skin and asked me to ask you guys if you had any hints :) . I keep telling him he just needs to wash his face and use some kind of zit cream with any amount of regularity, plus drink more water, but I think he's convinced you guys will have a miracle "guy face cream stuff" that won't require any work.  Any tips? 3.  There is nothing in the world that I want more right now than a huge halloween themed bag of mini reese's peanut butter cups. Someone stop me from going to buy some, seriously.  Can anyone think of a healthier replacement that would still satisfy my craving? Thanks bunches!
Leo says hi. He's...special.
Married
Planning

Re: NWR skin questions/I need a food fairie.

• Options
    If you check the skin care and shaving aisles at your local Target/Walmart/Walgreens, they're making some stuff that is geared more towards guys.  Maybe something like that will work for him.  Otherwise, I use PanOxyl bars on my face.  It's a benzoyl peroxide facial cleanser that comes in either 5% or 10% strenghts, and it's a bar.  Bars are inherently more manly than tubes of face wash ;)How about an apple or banana with a little PB and some chocolate chips?

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    2. We got Fi one of those vibrating washer things.  we got the clean and clear one, not the pink neutrogena one.  When he uses it, his skin is in better shape.  Also, salicylic acid is a good spot treatment,  too3.  What about a single pack?  Just buy one and the craving is fulfilled.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    1. My skin sucks I don't know that I could help you. Nuetrogena skin id does work awesome though...I typically wash morning and night and use spot treatment. 2. T is very serious about his face care. He washes morning and night, uses toner, moisturizer and spot treatment. He really likes beuticontrols "All clear" and they also have man line if that would make your husband feel better about it... 3. A spoonful of peanutbutter (just ONE spoonful!)
  • Options
    My dermatologist recomonded fish oil, zinc and folic acid. She said they work as well as a perscription at a fraction of the cost. I have definitly seen results. Then all he has to do it pop some vitamins. You can just make sure he takes them at dinner and he doesn't have to worry about a thing!
    siggya>
  • Options
    It may help if he just starts washing with a cleanser regularly.  A lot of the common brands of face wash are virtually the same, either using benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid as the active ingredient.  Ones using salicylic should be 2%.  Currently all I do is wash once or twice a day and moisutrize, and my skin is clear.  If you think the problem is worse than what regular washing/on the shelf creams can handle, ProActiv does work very well for more serious acne.  And if it is really extreme, Accutane also is a miracle drug.  I used to have bad skin and it did the trick for me.  
  • Options
    I'm of no help with 1 or 2, for 3 I would probably just offer you validation because you are planning on getting the miniature ones (that makes them healthy!).What I did want to come in here and says is:You're going to be a home owner tomorrow!!!!!!! Are you super insanely excited???? No last minute surprises I hope?
  • Options
    Oil of Olay is amazing. My grandma and mother both have been slathering on their face every night since their early twenties and their skin is flawless. I have begun the tradition and I hope my skin follows suit.Ponds Cold Cream is also the best make-up remover. It's not harsh and it's moisturizing.
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I guess no one but me is worried about preventing wrinkles? Actually I guess my skin is good enough that I'll keep doing what I'm doing, and I may have to break out the nag card for DH if he's going to complain about his skin, but thanks for all of the advice!lp-- YES YES YES YES I'm super excited. We had our final walkthrough yesterday and everything looked fine, but all of these "little" projects are starting to add up :P I'm nervous about how much time and money this is going to take. We got our ginormous cashier's check today, that's the scariest part so far!
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Mandybear that makes me feel better, I use Oil of Olay :)
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    1. I am 30 and still have acne. I have determined that it gets more inflamed with fragrances and harsh cleansers. I use an unscented, sensitive skin wash twice a day (grocery store brand of Cetaphil daily wash, as their facial wash has a scent), and an unscented light moisturizer to even out the oliy and dry spots. It seems to work pretty well except for one week of the month.. imagine that! 2. FI is eastern european and has very sensitive skin, so it has been very hard to get him to use soap at all (he does shower daily and does not stink). He has very oily skin, but the condition and acne have improved since he started using the Cetaphil knock-off. He rarely uses the stuff his dermatologist gave him, which is some sort of antibiotic. (I use it sometimes, though). If your FI uses zit cream, it may be too harsh for him and might actually cause more harm than good. Try to get him to use an unscented cleanser. It wont make his face feel all tight afterwards, but it will get it clean. 3. Nope. I bought a bag of Brachs Autumn Mix on my way to work this morning. I am not one to be giving advice on willpower ;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    The Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask in Walgreens is only like $3 for a giant tube (I'm poor and don't have perfect skin, too). I use it a few times a week, and it HAS made a difference. I've still got some issues to work out, but I did see an improvement w/my pores when I got into a regular routine with it.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    I'm slightly worried about wrinkles (my mom has none, grandma has very little) but I'm more concerned with my acne so I have no suggestions for wrinkles yet
  • Options
    I bought Guerlain skin cream last year just to try it, but I didn't see or feel any difference from Oil of Olay. I will stick with the drugstore prices ;)
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • Options
    I ended up with wrinkles around my eyes early because I wore contacts for so long and I rubbed my eyes a lot (big no no), but I am now using the Loreal Regenerist fragrance free version as the light moisturizer and I like it. Ill have to see if Oil of Olay comes fragrance fee and if my skin likes it.. I need to start worrying about wrinkles on the rest of my face. Thanks PPs!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    1. Cetaphil or Clinique cleansers. I use the Clinique at night (a redness solutions one) with a makeup remover built in, then cetaphil in the shower in the morning. Clinique moisturizer, and on dry spots (but usually on my hands) Cetaphil moisturizer.2. DH uses Neutrogena Acne wash. OCCASIONALLY he'll tolerate me using a toner on his face (and make a big scene about it), and I'll dab a tiny bit of moisturizer on his cheeks - the Clinique.3. I say get a single pack; maybe even splurge on the "double thick" kind. But not a bag..... that's a binge waiting to happen.....As far as worried about wrinkles, I've got a couple at the corners of my eyes when I smile. I'll take 'em. I earned 'em.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    Yay, that's very exciting!! The best advice I can give you is not to get overwhelmed, you're not going to get everything done to the house right away and that's ok. When is move day?
  • Options
    I use Neutrogena Skin ID.  I love it.  It lasts forever, too, if you have decent skin to begin with.  I only use it every other day and one package of your regimen (costs about $45) will last me at least 4 months, usually more.  On the nights that I don't use the skin id products, I wash with a gentle Dove cleanser.For other skin care concerns, my suggestion would be to wear some kind of sun protection.  Don't rely on the SPF in makeup because few people actually wear enough of the product to get the quoted SPF.My FI is a picker but he won't do anything about it.  Sometimes, he steals my face wash.  I'm no help there.
  • Options
    I think we're moving furniture on Nov. 6, so we have a while to do stuff, but I keep thinking about silly things like spray painting the cabinet hinges to match the new knobs, and cleaning out dusty drawers, and spray painting the screen door since it's waaaay to expensive to replace since it's rounded, and tearing down ivy, and omg alllllll the paint...I'm still excited about everything, but now that it's so close (I'm starting to paint on Friday) it's freaking me out.  That plus we'll be poor for a month or so.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    We prioritized work so things that would be really difficult to do after moving in were done before (like painting rooms). So I think it's definitely smart that you're starting on that first. Have you painted before? I hadn't and I got to learn that painters tape is a giant rip off.
  • Options
    Ha yeah I've painted before, I'm just going to invest in a good paintbrush for cutting in I think. Also, our parents and a few other people are coming over on Sunday to help paint and stuff, and as grateful as I am really, I just know they are going to mess it up somehow.  And then I'll have to fix everything.  I wish I wasn't so OCD. By Friday afternoon I'm going to have a detailed list of who has what job every single day until we move in.  I just know Bryan's dad is going to make fun of me for that :P
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    I think a work schedule is brilliant! Unfortunately the majority of our friends, and pete's family suck, they were all like "I love to paint! I'll come help!" until we moved in and asked them to commit to a day. Cutting in worked much better for us than using an edger or the stupid useless painters tape. One of the big lesson I learned: Don't let everyone start drinking right away, you end up fixing more mistakes later than it's worth.
  • Options
    Great advice :) Too bad I'll probably be the one drinking if I have to spend that much time with BIL and my mother!
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Bad news: I'm giving in and going to buy reeses.  Good news: I'm going to work out first! I have to stop doing this, but I guess maintaining is at least better than gaining weight. Right?
    Married
    Planning
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards