Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

What to do in NYC?

I'm going to NYC for work, and I get to bring my H with me for a few days. Any recs for what we have to see while we're there? I've been once before, H has never been.

Re: What to do in NYC?

• Options
    I would just take a full day to walk around and explore.  I like to do that in every city I visit.  I research.  Pick a few specific places to visit, eat at, etc.  Then we explore in between and find places that you'd never find in a travel book or website.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    If the weather's good & you're there on a weekend, jog/bike/rollerblade the 6 mile loop through central park and check out all the freaky roller derby folks at the band shell around 72nd street.I think the Guggenheim museum is an awesome for it's architecture and the fact that you can cruise through it quickly (as opposed to the Met, the museum of natural history or MOMA). If you really like modern art though, definitely visit the museum of modern art (moma). When folks would visit me in NYC another thing I really liked to do was to get off of the subway at Washington Square Park and walk downtown from there. You can see Greenwich Village, Soho, Tribeca, Chinatown, etc, in one walk since all of the downtown neighborhoods are so close together.Any food imaginable is there, so eat whatever you want. I'd seek out good italian, though, along with bagels and maybe a kosher deli, plus a morning of dim sum in chinatown.Have an awesome time!
  • Options
    I went twice last year, once for work and then with my H for part of our honeymoon.  I really loved Little Italy.  There is a line of italian restaurants and the hosts stand outside and beckon you in with italian accents and promises of great food.  It's fun.  We also walked through about half of Central Park, it's so much bigger than you think!  It's really beautiful though.  We happened to be walking through when they were filming an Ugly Betty episode.For night life, go to Greenwich Village.  We just got out of a cab and started going into places, saw some great live bands, had drinks, it was a lot of fun.  One night we also went to Times Square and found a bar with a balcony overlooking the street and that was cool too.There's just so much to do there, you can fill up two days easily.  We were there for 3 days and two nights and still didn't do everything there is to do.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hi, In the city there are a lot of great On Broadway as well as Off Broadway shows that you can look into getting tickets for.  I hope it's ok to say which ones I feel are really good-  Avenue Q, Stomp, Blue Man Group, Wicked.  The matinee shows will save you some cost.  There are also some really great bars in Greenwich for bar hopping- Off the Wagon and Down the Hatch are a couple. Museums, the Empire State Building, Central Park are places that are frequented by regulars as well as tourists.  Also, there are plenty of stores to go shopping in all around Times Square down to Herald Square.  HTH!
  • Options
    Go shopping in SoHo!!! I miss SoHo. :(
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    The guggenheim is the best museum. Definitely walk around the Park and Rockefeller Center. The NY public library is pretty awesome, too. I was with a group from a conference and we had a guided tour (we're all historians/researchers), but they might have docent-led tours you can check out.We also made some restaurant reservations because we're big on nice food.We also went to a Broadway show. There's a discount ticket booth in Times Square where you can get day-of tix for about 1/2 off if you aren't picky about what show you see.I also have a bunch of friends who live there, so I usually hang out with them. Hmm. That's not helpful.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    The most unexpected experience I had there was when I went on a walking tour with the Big Onion Walking Tours.  It's operated by some ppl who are Ph.D. candidates at Columbia, and they pick different locations with rich histories on different days to explore.  I went to Harlem, and they pointed out really cool old buildings and neighborhoods and told us all the stories about what happened there.  It was amazing, and if FI and I were ever in NYC I know he'd love it.
  • Options
    Cool. Thanks ladies, this is really helpful.
  • Options
    FI and I saw Stomp, it was aweseome!  Attractions to see:  Time Square (at night is the best with all the lights)  Broadway, Rockefeller, Central Park.  If time allows, Statue of Libery & Ellis Island, especially if its your 1st time.We are going to be there for Thanksgiving and we are going to attempt the Macy's Day Parade! I love NYC
  • Options
    gr *awesome*
  • Options
    What kind of food do you like? There's an amazing, amazing tapas place just down the street from us called Tia Pol. So good. We took some people there the day after the wedding and they were all very happy. Salt, where I had my reception, is down in SoHo and it's amazing. There are a ton of other places we love, I"m just blocking right now... Ditto pp who said walk south from Washington Square Park. I love that walk. In the Village, I just went to a great bar a couple weeks ago called Bobo. Totally romantic. It's down in the basement so it's easy to walk by.
  • Options
    Thanks, Julez, I may attempt to find this Bobo place!
  • Options
    DH and I spent our min-moon in NYC.  We had so much fun just eating, drinking and walking everywhere.Visit the Boat House in Central Park - it's so beautiful and not expensive.  They filmed that SITC scene there where Big and Carrie fell in the lake :-)Have fun!
  • Options
    I know its illegal and all but my first stop and last stop is always Chinatown for the purses! It is such an experience like no other! I love taking ppl there for the first time and going in all the secret rooms and haggling with them! It is addicting! Also, you have to check out Little Italy...the bakeries are so good!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards