Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

I have really bad news...

Mark has cancer. He was diagnosed with Hodkin's Lymphoma yesterday. Luckily, it has been caught very early, and he is only stage one. He didn't really have any symptoms, he had just noticed a lump in his armpit one day. Generally not being worried about it, he made his regular appointment for his pysical, and just said he'd ask about it then. His appointment was last Monday. The next day he went to have the lump removed for a biopsy, and yesterday he was diagnosed. The doctors were very optimistic that it was just a severely swollen lymph node that was infected, as he was showing no symptoms, and his blood work came back clean, etc. So we weren't overly worried about it. So...we've decided to cancel our Hawaiian dream wedding. Luckily, the price of our trip included trip cancellation, so our guests will be able to cancel with no financial penalty. If he is well enough, we are planning to have a JOP ceremony on February 13th at the courthouse. I just wanted to tell all of you. I had yesterday off, and we spent the evening with our families and friends...and today I'm back at work. He has his first treatment next week on Wednesday.

Re: I have really bad news...

• Options
    Well, crap. I'm so sorry to hear that, P2.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Oh my god, Pumpkin. I'm so sorry. And so thankful he didn't wait longer and they caught it early. Many, many vibes to you and to Mark through this. If we can do anything, let us know.
  • Options
    Im sorry to hear that pumpkin. Hopefully his treatment goes well and he has a full recovery!
  • Options
    P2 I'm so sorry. That is good that they caught it early. Best of luck to Mark, and big hugs to you.
  • Options
    Oh wow, I'm so sorry to hear all of that.  What a shock to you and your families I'm sure.  I'm also sorry to hear you won't get to have your Hawaiian wedding.  I know you were excited about that.So are the doctors optimistic then about how he'll respond to treatment?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh my gosh...I'm so sorry to hear this P2. You guys will definitely be in my thoughts & my prayers. Let us know if there's anything we can do virtually :)
  • Options
    Oh no no no no no. :( Oh my god. I'm so sorry, sweetheart. At the very least this was caught extremely early. Please keep us updated as to what is going on and you know my email if you ever want to chat about this off here. I <3 yew and you guys are in my thoughts.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    P2,I'm sorry to hear this.  My thoughts go out to you and your families right now.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Oh Pumpkin, I'm so sorry.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    Oh, Pumpkin.  I'm so sorry to hear that!!  You're in my thoughts.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that, P2.  I'm happy they caught it early and wish him much success with treatment.
    Kailyn Jean Born August 6, 2011 (3w6d early) imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Planning Bio
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that, but I'm glad that they've caught it early. Good luck to you and Mark.  You'll both be in my thoughts.
  • Options
    I'll be thinking my best thoughts for you guys, P2.  I hope that you are doing okay.  Keep us updated.
  • Options
    Thanks...we're going to try to live each day as normally as possible. I know quite a few people who have had (and survived) Hodgkin's, so both of us are very optimistic. I don't think it's really set in yet...
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. You are in my thoughts. I have a friend who had this, and battled it very successfully. Best wishes to you.  I am sure things will turn out well.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    Sorry, P2.  :(
  • Options
    Wow, so sorry to hear about Mark, P2.  My estranged father was diagnosed this year, but it is definitely not stage 1. Unfortunately, due to our communication barrier, he can't tell me much about it's status. I just know it's not good. So I'm definitely glad to hear that he found out early. Sorry about the Hawaiian wedding cancellation too. 
  • Options
    P2, I am so sorry to hear about Mark, but I am happy that it was caught early.  This is great news.  Weddings can happen at any time and when you reschedule, it will be just as special.  JOP'in' it is no big deal, the important part is that you're with the person who will be your life mate. My prayers and thoughts are with the both of.  I hope you both have peace of mind very soon. This is one of my biggest fears, He didn't really have any symptoms, he had just noticed a lump in his armpit one day. After seeing Terms of Endearment, I always check just to make sure.  Kudos to Mark for not being a typical guy and putting this off.
  • Options
    So sorry to see the news, though thankfully, it was caught in the earliest stage.I hope all goes well with the treatments and my best wishes to you both.
  • Options
    P2, I am so sorry! You are both in my thoughts and prayers.  My best friends husband went through the exact same thing.  He was only 27 when diagnosed, and he is doing just fine now 6 years later.I will be thinking of you both.  Stay strong.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that, but so glad that they've caught it early... I hope he recovers quickly and comfortably. Is there anyway you can hold off on cancelling the Hawaii wedding? Maybe wait and see how he responds to treatment?
  • Options
    Oh my god, I'm so sorry to hear this pumpkin!  Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Mark!  You and your families will be in my thoughts.
  • Options
    Good luck P2 and Mark.That's the cancer my brother had so if you have any questions I'll try to answer.  For as much as my brother would tell me anything.Since his bloodwork was clean, is the surgery the end of treatment for now?

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    I'm so sorry, P2.  What a blow this must be.  I'm glad it was caught early and hope that he makes a full recovery. 
  • Options
    I'm also sorry to hear you won't get to have your Hawaiian wedding. I know you were excited about that.We promised each other that when he's better, we'd go to Hawaii and invite our friends and families to join us for a vacation (no wedding, just a fun vacation with friends and family). If no one wants to join us, we'll go on our own. So are the doctors optimistic then about how he'll respond to treatment?Very. Mark is generally very healthy (well, was very healthy). So, yes, the doctors are very optimistic. Being caught so early, he has a 90% survival rate, and his san showed that it hasn't spread at all. Mark is just trying now to get his insurances in line (long term, our mortgage, his trucks, tools, equipment, etc), as his job is VERY physical, the doctors have told him that he won't be able to work.
  • Options
    I don't really know you, Pumpkin, but I'm terribly sorry. I hope that Mark's treatment goes well, and that he is healthy soon. I wish you guys all the best.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Oh, p2, I'm so sorry for you and Mark. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Big virtual hugs!
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear that P2. Here's to a healthy & speedy recovery.
  • Options
    I'm really sorry to hear that P2. You both are in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry P2 =(  Sending lots of thoughts and prayers your way.  Please keep us updated
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards