New York-New York City

Dress alternations needed in Brooklyn

Hi ladies. I will be moving to NY in January (wedding in April) and I am looking for a place to get my dress altered. I got my dress from the Filene's sale so there was no chance of getting alternations done there so now I am on the hunt for someone in the NY area.

Any suggestions will be welcomed. Thanks.

Re: Dress alternations needed in Brooklyn

• subdolasubdola member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The White Gown in DUMBO will alter dresses purchased outside of their salon, but they have bridal salon prices.  I was happy with their work for my dress but would have taken it elsewhere if I had found a cheaper rec.
    We're currently on a 15 month trip around the world!
    **Check out our travel blog**
    Planning Bio Married Bio
  • edited December 2011
    Nelson Tailor Shop!
    It isn't in Brooklyn, but on the LES (Lower East Side) so, not really out of the way... anyway, it is the most reviewed and highest rated tailor in the NYC area here's a link to the yelp page:

The very first review on here says 

"WEDDING:
    Saturday
    TRY 
    DRESS TO SEE and BREAK ZIPPER:
    Monday Night
    DROP TO NELSON:
    Tuesday
    RETRIEVE IN SPLENDOR:
    Thursday

He was a godsend - Not only did he fix my 
    dress to perfection within 2 days but he assured me it was the zipper and not my winter-weight fat ass that broke it! Go to Nelson, he will treat you right! 
    Wooo hoooo!"

Hope this helps! Good luck! Enjoy Brooklyn it's amazing here!!

• edited December 2011
    depends on where in brooklyn you are. in bay ridge (93rd st?) there's a woman stella who works most of the time at kleinfelds but does additional alterations on the side. she altered a bridesmaids dress for me a few years ago. let me know if you want her info and i can find it.
  • edited December 2011
    I'd be interested in her info; I am meeting with one person but depending on her quote, may want someone else.  slbrizard at yahoo - thanks.

I am slated to meet with Susan Ruddie (I believe her info is on The Knot).  I think she's a former seamstress at Kleinfeld's.  She lives in Brooklyn and will travel to you.  Check her out.  I meet with her next week, so I'll let folks know what I think, at least about her professionalism.  Wedding isn't until May, so it'll be sometime before I can report on actual work done.
  • suseehumansuseehuman member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also got my dress altered by Susan Ruddie of The Wedding dresser.    She did a great job.     She was a costume designer which I liked because she knows how to work with corsets - my dress had one built in which hit me at all the wrong places.   She did a beautiful bustle.   She comes to your apartment which saves loads off stress.     I think she charges a bit more  than RK and Bridal garden.   My alterations was $500, but she itemizes and charges by how much needs to be done.     I found her on wedding wire.  Reach her at theweddingdresser@earthlink.net

• jlstewartjlstewart member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the information ladies. I will have to check Susan out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards