Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

How did you meet?

13»

Re: How did you meet?

• Options
    Last summer (2008), a friend of mine from high school that I had recently gotten back in touch with sent me a text one day at work asking if I wanted to go out on a boat that weekend with him and a friend. I replied, "Hell yeah!" So my friend Caitlin and I met Phil (my friend) and Tommy (my fiance) at the dock that weekend and I told Caitlin that day that I was going to marry Tommy. We saw each other the next day and have been inseparable ever since :) Funny thing is, that day I got the text the two of them were sitting in a bar talking about how they needed to get some girls on the boat so Phil started texting girls and my name happened to be the first one in his contact list because my name starts with "A" Thank goodness!!
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    We met in 1990 when I was 14 and he was 18 at an air cadet summer training camp.  I was on course and FI was a staff cadet (though not of my course).17 years later in the spring of 2007 he found me on facebook.  I'd just done a search for him a couple of nights prior to that and came up empty because he hadn't set up a profile yet.  Our dating years ended that night.
  • Options
    We were actually in the third grade together. He remembers thinking I was gross because I licked a dried out marker to make it work again. Then I switched schools, but we ended up going to High School together again. We got along, and had the same circle of friends, but there was NEVER anything romantic on the horizon. He left for university in Denver, I went to university in Canada (we grew up in Norway). The summer after we graduated, he moved back to our hometown and got a really awesome job, I accepted a job in London starting that fall. At a night out with mutual friends, we got really drunk, and ended up making out. I went home with him, (underwear stayed on, though, we were both crunkville), but before he woke up I snuck out of his apartment. The summer was very fling-like - I was moving to a different country and all. Then the night before I moved, he called and asked if I wanted to come over (booty-call style, but in my head it's much more romantic). He came to visit me in London 3 weeks after I moved, and we decided we wanted to make it work then. Anyways, I stayed in London for a year, then moved back to Norway after finally finding a decent job here. Anyways, I've been here for 2 years now, and we're engaged - 17 years after we first met.
  • Options
    online. i didn't really do the online dating thing, but i WAS on myspace, and he had come across my profile, an while i didnt typically reply to messages from strangers, he sent me this message that was just too funny to ignore. I was about a year out of my last serious relationship, and had been on too many bad dates to count right around the time we started talking and i was really kind of fed up with dating. after a couple of weeks of witty email banter, i agreed to meet him for dinner, and seriously figured nothing would come of it - i expected one of those "you were better on myspace" situations, and on the way to the restaurant i told my best friend on the phone that "i'm sure this will go as terribly as every other date i've been on in the last 4 months - when this is over, im taking a long dating hiatus...." turns out i walked out of the restaurant with my future husband. also, my favorite part of our first date is that it was on the night that the time changed, and we were sitting at a bar when we realized it (they announced that the bar would be open an hour later because of it) and he looked at me and said "i'm really glad we went out tonight, because we get an extra hour together"
  • Options
    Craigslist.  Fer realz.
  • Options
    We used to walk home the same way in Jr. High. I walked passed his house to get to mine a couple of blocks away and then he started walking me home and playing basketball with me in the driveway every day. We dated a few months, broke up and got back together our Sophomore year in High School. We've been together 8 years now.
    June 2011 Siggy Challenge: My Dress
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Match.com.  FI has developed a lecture series on his thoughts on how to date online properly.
  • Options
    We also met on Match.com. Though I wish we had a more romantic story sometimes! I had been on it for about two weeks and just had possibly the worst date ever (when I showed up for dinner, this guy had already had two mojitos. He proceeded to get wasted and then mad when I wouldn't go home with him and wanted to leave the restaurant at 10 p.m. This was on a Tuesday.) So I was really not looking forward to my second date, which happened to be with FI. My sister made me suck it up and go, and the rest is history! I LOVE hearing other people's how we met stories though - so fun!
  • Options
    At work.   We had heard for awhile about this "whiz-kid" coming over to our department from another.  After a get-to-know-you staff meeting, we walked out together to the parking lot and and I thought he was really cute and introduced myself   He still can tell you what I was wearing that day.  I walk by the gate sometimes after a rough day and still smile to myself.  We worked together for about 2 years pretty closely before we actually got together though. 
  • Options
    We met at work.  He was my boss. We had to sign a "love contract" like Michael and Jan did on The Office.  Then he wasn't my boss anymore.Except in the bedroom.  Rawr.
  • Options
    I love these stories - especially the "I thought he was weird, he thought I was cute" ones. :) My closest guy friend had been trying for YEARS to get me to date his cousin.  I wanted nothing to do with it.  I just wasn't into dating cousins of friends for some ridiculous reason.  And really, I was having more fun being single and carefree *read: ho bag* to care about meeting anyone serious.  Finally, I agreed to meet him and we have been together ever since.  The moment we started talking, I knew I'd met my soul mate.  As I type that, I still gag a little because I think soul mates, etc, are pretty hoaky.  But he's the one and I knew immediately I was going marry him.  It's funny how you meet someone and you are as close to them instantly as you are your own heartbeat.  Anyway, ovulation and knowing other peoples egg release dates is disgusting. I gag even more knowing someone's bleeding pattern.  I wish her luck, but maybe that's something you shouldn't share with the masses. 
    ~ Missie

Welcome Baby Grace to the world! (via emergency c-section @ 38w2d)
    2/24/12 12:03pm 5lbs, 9oz Birth Story
    imageimageimage
    image image image
    Linky--> EP FB Group - March '12 FB Group <---Linky </b>
  • Options
    We met over 5 years ago.  I worked at 50s diner and was friends with his older sister.  I met him a few times but I didn't really notice him.  Once she quit the job and was an RA at school, he started to work there.  I flirted with everyone and eventually I realized I actually liked him. There you go.
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Options
    Craigslist. No, it wasn't in the casual encounters section.
  • Options
    Then he wasn't my boss anymore.Except in the bedroom. Rawr.DED
  • Options
    We met at work. Our industry, for being pretty extensive, is pretty small in terms of everyone knowing everyone else. I was the receptionist and he was an artist. I always thought he was cute but never said more than "Hi" because I was married and he was polite. After I got divorced I started talking to him, he showed me the work he was doing for the game he was on and we set up a date. After that we were inseparable.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    On Craigslist. I came home from a sucky date with a lame guy and decided to post a rant on my local Craigslist Rants & Raves. It was a list of Dos and Don'ts for men. I concluded my list with a quote from Say Anything ("Kickboxing - sport of the future") and said that if any guy met the requirements stated in my rant, he was welcome to respond - and that I'd give bonus points if he could name the movie featuring my quote. My fiance responded, with "Say Anything" in the subject line. We exchanged some emails, talked on the phone, then finally went on our first date. I realized after we scheduled our date that it was Friday the 13th. "Great!" I thought, totally sarcastic. I had low expectations, so imagine my delight when everything went so well that we closed the restaurant, then we weren't ready to go home, so he suggested a movie. "I hear Brokeback Mountain is good," he said, which impressed me because every guy I knew had refused to go to that movie. I thought, "Wow, this guy is really secure!" So we went to the movie, and all he says when we're walking out is, "Well that was interesting." Turns out he didn't know what the movie was about when he suggested it! The rest is history.
  • Options
    he suggested a movie. "I hear Brokeback Mountain is good," he said, which impressed me because every guy I knew had refused to go to that movie. I thought, "Wow, this guy is really secure!" So we went to the movie, and all he says when we're walking out is, "Well that was interesting." Turns out he didn't know what the movie was about when he suggested it!HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA that is really funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  you thought he was all secure.  hahahahah, too funny.  but obviously it worked out  haha ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards