New York-New York City

W Hotel Union Square

Hi Everyone,

Im currently based in Texas & was trying to get some venue research done. Has anyone even held their wedding & reception at the W Hotel Union Square Location, or been to a wedding there? And & all opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch, Erica!

Re: W Hotel Union Square

• edited December 2011
    I'm having my wedding reception there this November.  I'm also planning from out of town.  I have found them to be very helpful.  When I was making the decision I had received great feedback about them.  I would strongly recommend.  Good Luck!
  • modernlove11modernlove11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much! I thought twice about it, because I emailed them for info before the holidays & no one has responded : ( I'll try giving them a call tomorrow! Good luck with your planning! And please keep me posted on your experience with them : )
  • koreana12koreana12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to my cousin's wedding there and it was great!  Everyone was very professional and the room that it was in did not have a "hotel" feel to it.  It was elegant and almost felt like a ballroom.  I think the room accommodated 120 people.  Can't say I remember much about the food though.  Good luck!  I think this is a very nice location.  
  • edited December 2011
    Modernlove11- I think they have been very busy lately becuase I've had some questions for them as well and it's taken a little while to hear back.  I've been working with John Benke there and he is great.  If you still haven't heard from anyone, send him an e-mail- john.benke@whotels.com.  The room is beautiful- have you looked at it yet?  I looked at a lot of places, and fell in love with it as soon as I walked in.  If you have the opportunity to view it set up for an event, I recommend that too, it really gives you the whole feel!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    koreana12 - thank you! We're having a small close friends/ v.i.p family destination wedding, about 40-50 people max. But we'd like lots of space for the ceremony, reception, an an after party.

mkossuth - I will email him 1st thing Monday morning. I havent had a chance to check out the room, but we are planning a trip to NYC within the next 2-3 months, so hopefully we will get to see them in action! If you dont mind my asking, are you having a large or small guest count? thanks a bunch!
  • edited December 2011
    When we booked the space, we were thinking the exact same thing- small with only family and close friends- max 80.  Our list has since grown to probably closer to 110- however I'm still hoping only 80 will be attending since it is pretty much a destination wedding for us as well.  If I remember correctly they typically work with numbers closer to 100, but I'm sure they would be willing to work with your number since the space isn't overly large.  I know when we signed the contract we committed to paying for 80 guests- so be sure to not over estimate too much or you will be stuck paying for more guests then are there.  When are you planning to get married?  
  • edited December 2011
    I got married there almost 2 years ago. Every detail was perfect, the staff was amazing, the food was delicious.

Keep in mind that the venue is small, and can only hold about 135 people. The dance floor is small, but my guests fit comfortably (129 including me and DH) and those that didn't, danced between the tables!

If you'd like in depth details, or have specific questions, just send me an email: crazyturtle327 AT gmail DOT com.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    mkossuth- I emailed them today, so hopefully they will get back with me soon! I will keep the head count in mind. I would really only like 50ppl MAX! Hopign that I can get away with that...now thats a different story! haha We both have HUGE families & thought we'd have our V.I.P in NYC, and do something low key & laid back when we return home. Has anyone else done that? We are thinking November 2011, I know its early but down here venue's & vendors get booked QUICK, not sure how it goes in NYC, but i'd rather be safe than sorry.

*city bride* - I will deff shoot you an email today or tomorrow! Im excited to hear that the food was delish, bceause that's one of the most important things to us Laughing
  • edited December 2011
    We are getting married this November and booked last March- so very similar time frame!  Definitely not a bad thing to start early in NYC.  We had the opportunity to taste some of the appetizers during a visit, and they were amazing.  I've heard the food is great!  city bride helped me make my decision :)
  • gigili007gigili007 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello Everyone,

I just got a email from John, i really like the W hotel, but it don't really give me a prices? It look like kind of expensive?  We were thinking only family and close friends- max 120pp. Hoping to go with 100pp!!! I'm excited to hear that the food was delish too! It's important things for us too...b/c

I did have dinner once at the Icon W hotel the court, the foods was OK. not the best!

Any advices?
    Thanks so much.

• edited December 2011
    Gigili- The food at each W Hotel is different. Try making a reservation for Olive's, downstairs in the hotel. The chef there is the same one that will  be preparing the food for your wedding. As far as prices go, yes, they are a bit expensive. Look at Friday or Sunday to see if it's less expensive.. And just ask outright for the wedding package prices.

Megan- I'm glad I could help!

Modern Love- I look forward to hearing from you!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    City Bride ~ Thanks so much for the info, I will look into it at Olive's. They only have Friday & Satursday rate, but i guess it's the locations and foods that make it expensive. Which location did you have your wedding at?

Thanks,
    Gigi
  • edited December 2011
    It definitely is a little pricey but the package (at least what I'm doing) includes open bar, 3 course dinner and cake.  I like that I won't have the unexpected bar tab at the end.  I was told by various locations that the timeframe I was looking at was one of the more expensive, and we had to do Saturday due to our church.  I know the prices for Friday were cheaper and there are definitely "peak season" months, and it isn't necessarily what you would assume.  
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Megan ~ yes, you are right, thanks for sharing. Please kept me posted on your wedding. I would love to hear more about it. We were thinking doing our wedding on next June 2011 or Fall 2011.

Gigi
  • eeeteaeeetea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     I agree with what is posted here but would just add the following - yes, W Union Sq is a great looking space, with windows (a pet peeve requirement of mine), not overpowering in terms of size, maybe even "intimate,"....but also not cheap, although lower than other high end Manhattan hotels (but thats not saying much).  I live & work in Manhattan, thought a local city wedding would be nice.  W was one of the first I looked at - my office is right down the block, I met John Benke (212-407-2983) in person & toured the space.  He is very nice, charming & accommodating.  Price of their package seems reasonable at first for what it is, but at the end of the day, once we added in all the extras & upgrades for a number of things we wanted/expected that are not included in their package (but are included elsewhere), it was way over our budget.  We ended up going outside Manhattan elsewhere in the metro NY area where venue prices more closely resemble reality and packages can better stretch your wedding dollars. I would caution the following - I'm sure W's min required guarantee is more than 50 people, and I would make sure who the chef actually preparing my wedding would be & have his food beforehand.
  • edited December 2011
    Olive's in the W Union Sq is fantastic. The food is so good. Enjoy and post pics!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards