Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Have you ever...

Been "asleep" but aware of whats around you. And you try to move, but you cant. You sort of feel... paralyzed. And you have to use all your force to move and "wake up". that kinda sounds weird, but it happens to me probably 6 times a year. I want it to stop! I told one person about it and she said it meant there were ghost present in the room. hmm..
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Have you ever...

• Options
    Are you like, a jedi?
  • Options
    Nope.  Sounds pretty freaky though.
  • Options
    You have the force???
  • Options
    Yeah that's happened to me before.  I just think it's that in between state of being awake and asleep.  It happens to me more often when I'm taking a nap rather than at night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Not that I can recall, but I did have a dream last night that I was doing hot yoga in a wedding dress.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Yes!  It's like you're in such a fog, but you're aware of it and consciously trying to get out.  Not too often, but I get that occasionally.  Weirds me out when it happens.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    It happened to me once in high school and I freaked the fuuuck out.  It's an actual thing, called sleep paralysis.  I thought I was having and out of body experience or something.  It still happens to me, but I've noticed, only when I fall asleep on my back.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    Not that I can recall, but I did have a dream last night that I was doing hot yoga in a wedding dress. You should do a Trash the Dress session like this.
  • Options
    Lets replace the word "force" with strength"
  • Options
    I think that might be [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia]this[/url].My H gets this only at his parents house and swears it's ghosts.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had that happen the one and only time I took sleeping pills.  Scared the crap out of me!  Never again.
  • Options
    It's an actual thing, called sleep paralysis.I agree, this is probably what you're experiencing.  One of my old professors explained it like your mind is awake, but your body isn't.  Sometimes it happens because you're so exhausted.  I've never personally had this happen, but it would freak me out.
  • Options
    Only when I take a sleeping pill.
  • Options
    maybe the ghost just follow me.
  • Options
    Happens to me a lot too, but like one poster said usually when I'm napping, or if I am sick. It always freaks me out.
  • Options
    That happens to me a lot actually.  In phases, but fairly often.  I hate that feeling.
  • Options
    Ugh!  I thought I was the only one!Any time I nap I do that.  Maybe my subconscious knows I shouldn't be sleeping and tricks me?  I hate it so much!  It's very frustrating.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    2013 Books Read 11/52
    my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Happens to me a lot too. But I'm pretty sure my seratonin/dopamine levels are all fuucked up, which is why I need antidepressants. The whole thing seems to be related.
  • Options
    ... and yeah, much more so while napping.  During the night I'm more likely to open my eyes and sleep talk.
  • Options
    That happens to me whenever I take a looong nap after being really exhausted in the middle of the day. Sometimes I also have visions like of family members coming in my room and just sitting next to me, so I try to wake up more but that doesn't happen. It doesn't freak me out and I don't think it's ghost related, though I do believe in ghosts. They would have to have a hell of a lot of energy to do that to you, which I believe most don't have.
  • Options
    I also have visions like of family members coming in my roomYes, I'm always trying to "wake up" because my husband comes into the room.I feel a lot better knowing it's a real thing.  I tried explaining it to H like it was like waking up in layers and it seems to take a long time to wake up.  He looked at me like I had 8 heads.
    2013 Books Read 11/52
    my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    It is like layers now that you mention it.
  • Options
    This happens to me almost every time I nap. Sometimes I get my eyes open a little bit too. It still freaks me out when it happens.
  • Options
    So I'm not the only one! I have to add that this happens to me ALL the time. At least once a month and everytime it happens I freak out trying to wake myself up.One time it happened at FI parent's house. I was on the couch and fell asleep while everyone was watching TV. I wanted to wake up, but coudn't, and tried my hardest to scream and move so they could shake me awake. Apprently I did get a little groan out because when I did wake up they asked me what I was dreaming about. I have since warned FI to wake me anytime I do that again because it FREAKS ME OUT!
  • Options
    Used to happen to me all the time, though it's been a while. It mostly used to happen when I was physically exhausted and had been up working several nights in a row. It's called sleep paralysis and they don't really know why it happens -- explanations run the gamut from physical causes to astral projection. (I trend towards the latter end of the spectrum, but I'm not at all firmly committed to that as an explanation!) Never heard the ghost explanation before.
  • Options
    It's weird that it happens when people nap.  I used to happen only occasionally to me, but it happens to me just about every time I nap now.   It's really decreased my napping time dramatically.  Which sort of makes me sad...
    2013 Books Read 11/52
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    tried my hardest to scream and move so they could shake me awake. Apprently I did get a little groan out because when I did wake up they asked me what I was dreaming about.THAT is exactly what it is like! I just want to scream and cant. so glad to see its just not me.
  • Options
    Exactly to everyone else who has them!! People come in the room and stand over me and I try and try to scream and can't and many of the times I am having trouble breathing and feel like I am smothering myself but can't move my head to the side to get air. If I wake up and go back to sleep I fall right back into it. It is terrifying and happens a lot.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It happens to me a lot. Or I should say it used to in my old house. It has yet to happen since I moved in with FI (2+ years now). It used to freak me out a lot because I thought it was supernatural in nature. I did a lot of research and now I believe it's a condition called sleep paralysis. But if you look it up, there's a lot of stuff that comes up about the "old hag syndrome." A lot of folklore attributes it to a spirit/demon/witch (the old hag) that sits on your chest and doesn't allow you to move/call out. Creepy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards