Wedding Etiquette Forum

POLL

Every year there seems to be talk about how parents have stopped taking thier kids door to door for Halloween due to safety issues. When you have kids, or if you do have kids, will you let them dress up and go door to door trick or treating? Are you worried about potential safety issues?

Re: POLL

• When was the last time there was a story about an injury from halloween candy?  The late 70's?  A big portion of my brain is telling me that this is just another case of parents today hyper-insulating thier kids.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I personally never got to trick-or-treat as a kid, because we lived in the middle of nowhere.  We went to the church Halloween party, which is where all the other families were that my mom would otherwise have driven me to for trick-or-treating.  When we have kids, I'm ok with taking them to trick-or-treat in a neighborhood where we know the people.  I'm not ok with them wandering about just anywhere.  It's clearly not necessary to be a happy child.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Hi BGB!  Long time no see!
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Hi BGB! Yes, if I were to ever have kids I would take them.
  • My kids will go trick or treating.  Of course, I will check out all the candy before they can eat any.
  • Hi Mrs. B. A lot of parents are taking kids to the malls. I'm taking Zane and his friend to the mall and to a few nicer neighborhoods. I refuse to have that fun kid activety taken away because of a few nut cases. Hiya Ricksters.
  • I take my kids door to door.  I go with them and I examine all their candy before they are allowed to have any of it.   Not that you can really tell anything about the people, but I stick to nicer neighborhoods as well.
  • What's Zane dressing up as?

• Zane is a werewolf and his friend is a vampire. Mrs. B.. what is new and are you on fb?
  • My kids are, and always have gone, trick-or-treating door to door.  We always stick to neighbourhoods that are familiar to us and they always have either me or my xH with them, even now at 11 and 13. Once we are home, all candy is looked over for open packets and such.
  • Werewolves are cool.  Especially if their in the movie New Moon.  ;-)I need to set up a knot FB account.  Maybe I'll tackle that later tonight?  We're heading out for dinner at my folks' now.

• *they're inwhat the heck's the matter with me?  I know the difference between their and they're (and there)

• I was always allowed to go trick-or-treating door-to-door, and I will let my children do the same as well unless we live in the middle of nowhere. Of course, I will go with them. If I didn't think it was safe enough to let my kids wander around our neighborhood with me for an hour or two, I wouldn't be living in that neighborhood anyways.
  • Mrs B. When you finally get oin FB, there is a P&E on Facebook group you should join.
  • No kids yet, but when I'm a mom I will definitely let them go trick or treating. I truly believe that today's parents are overly-protective and are raising incompetent weenies as a result ;) Oh, and yes, I was allowed to trick or treat in the 80's and I survived...
  • I miss the good ol' days when little old ladies were able to give out popcorn balls, candied apples and other homemade goodies.
  • OMG y'all, funny story. Our local paper ran an article yesterday with every single pedophile's name, address, and telephone number so parents wouldn't let their kids go there.Um, hello? They probably have their doors shut and lights off anyway, as they'd rather not go back to JAIL over Halloween!Anyway, I think it's silly and I will always let my kids go trick or treating and dress up. Halloween is a really fun holiday, and I dressed up at work today because I still like Halloween.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • The whole candy poisoning issue has been proven false by Snopes... The one time it actually happened, it was infanticide by the child's own father. No actual cases involving strangers have ever been proven... So let the kids trick or treat ;) [url]http://www.snopes.com/horrors/poison/halloween.asp[/url]
  • expat, do they celebrate Halloween down there?  Or just the day of the dead?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When I was a kid, we used to trick or treat at an infamous murderous couples house (he was a murderer and a rapist, she was just an accomplice apparently), always door to door. Supervised until I was around 12 and then my friends and I started going alone in big groups. I would probably do the same if/when I ever have kids.
  • We lived in the country and my dad always drove me around from house to house. My mother always made me be a ghost since it was easy to use a white sheet and cut eye holes in it. I don't remember getting much candy. When do kids stop wanting to trick or treat? Isn't anyone over the age of 12 seems weird to me. Lik they are too old. Is that weird of me?
  • Of course the kids will be able to. We hope to live in a neighborhood where we know the people, so that helps.
  • aMrs - Since Monterrey is only a few hours south of the Texas border, they've picked up a lot of our traditions... The kids dress up and are driven around to relatives' and close friends' houses for trick or treating. Costumes + visits to family = Halloween. My niece and nephew are four and they're going as Wonderwoman and Superman :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards