Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Reception

Hello, I am working on finalizing a rough timeline/order for reception stuff. What was yours?We are mostly stuck on where to do cake cutting. DJ said right after dinner, but my mom thinks that is too soon into the reception.Thanks for the help!
BabyFruit Ticker < br > Visit The Nest! Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Reception

• Options
    Usually you open up the dancefloor after dinner to get the party going. I understand people want to offer dessert to their guests right away which is maybe why you put out a pastry or cookie tray in the meantime. The cake cutting should be towards the end of the night but certainly not too late. Wedding days can be long for people with kids and elderly adults and since it is viewed as rude to leave before the cake cutting you don't want them to feel like they have to stay.We finished dinner around 6:30 and did the cake cutting at 8:00.
  • Options
    If you're serving that cake as dessert, the kitchen will need time to cut it... Depending on the amount of guests and/or size of cake, that could take 30 minutes. I don't think your guests should have to wait longer than that for dessert... Also, your older guests will definitely want to see that part, so don't do it too late in the evening.
  • Options
    I am thinking maybe:dinnerspeaches (at the end of dinner)first dancecake cuttingfather daughter dancemother son dance
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We had an hour of dancing in between dinner and cake cutting. Cake cutting, IMO, should be the last event because it signals the end of the night.
  • Options
    Here's what we did: IntroductionToasts (I've never seen them done after dinner, seems odd to me to toast after dinner)Dinner (buffet) Cake CuttingSpecial DancesAll dancing.Several people actually wanted us to cut our cake before dinner to give them time to cut it, and apparently this is becoming more popular since this has happened at the last 2 weddings we went to, but it just seems backwards to me (along with dancing before or toasting after) to do anything with dessert before dinner, particularly since so many people consider that "the end." I don't think a single person left right after we cut the cake though, since it was at about 7:30.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    (I've never seen them done after dinner, seems odd to me to toast after dinner)Interesting how things change by territory I assume. I've never seen them before dinner except for this past weekend it was so odd to me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think you can cut the cake whenever you want - some ppl do it earlier if their photog is leaving. But I've heard a few times that most ppl see the eating of the cake as the time they can safely leave, so if you do it too early, you may lose some of your older guests who don't plan to stay for the dancing. Which is why ppl often do it after speeches/toasts and the first "special" dances.
  • Options
    In our area the cake cutting never signaled the "end" of the reception. For us it worked best in our timeline towards the beginning of the reception and it was served to the guests as one of our dessert selections. Our general timeline was:IntroductionsToastsCake CuttingBenedictionDinnerFirst DanceOpen Dancing (specialty dances mixed throughout)Candy Bar unveiledOpen DancingLast Dance  
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • Options
    I've never heard of cake-cutting signaling the end of a reception. I've also never seen it done at the end of the night... Must vary according to where you're from. If your DJ seems competent, I'd listen to his advice as he's probably experienced with weddings in your area...
  • Options
    I don't think it signals the end of the reception as much as it signals that from that moment forth guests are free to leave without seeming rude. I almost never see any one leave but it is nice to keep the guests in mind... in my area at least
  • Options
    Thats for all the posts! Seems like it varys a lot from person to person. The only reason I'd like cake cutting before the parent dances, is so people can be eating cake as we are dancing. I hate all eyes on me:) I'm just concerned because around here it does signal the end of a reception for odler guests to leave. I don't want to do it too soon. Oye, I hate all these little details:)
    BabyFruit Ticker < br > Visit The Nest! Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    East coasters sometimes do the first dance as soon as they are introduced, the dinner, then some dancing and mingling, our cake cutting came at like 8:15, the dinner started at 6:30.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We cut ours right after we ate.  That gave the venue time to bring out the cookie tray, that was being served concurrently with the cake as dessert.I also have never been to a wedding where the cake cutting is done at the end, though.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    We did it after dinner.  Not right after dinner, but it was 7pm in the evening when we cut the cake.  Then our caterer had to cut it up so most people probably didn't eat it until 7:30pm.
  • Options
    We did it during dinner. We wanted teh dance floor open ASAP. I hate when people break up the party by cutting the cake late. People are having fun dancing, then they clear the floor for it. Bleh.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards