Wedding Etiquette Forum

News: KKK Costume

Some people dressed up as KKK members on Halloween and now they have problems.  I'm really not surprised.  Half the people in a poll the news took voted that it was just harmless holiday fun.  What?  Am I wrong to think the KKK should never be harmless holiday fun?
my read shelf:
Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale

Re: News: KKK Costume

• I don't think you're wrong. I think you are RIGHT. Harmless WTF? I'm totally dressing up as Hitler next Halloween and seeing how that goes over. Oh, it's just for fun guys! It's not like I'm the REAL Hitler!
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • NO. Not harmless holiday fun at all.  I grew up in a place where the Klan still had an active chapter.  Nothing ridiculously crazy happened where I grew up, but even knowing that there were people around there that were part of an organization like that made me crazy.  Nothing about the KKK is humorous or harmless and it never will be. 
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Where did the dressing up happen and where was the poll taken?But no, NOT harmless. I can get a sense of humor about a lot of stuff, but nothing like this.
  • Whatever happened with rick's friends who dressed up as Hitler/concentration camp victim? I think anything like that, Hitler, KKK, whatever, is ridiculous and inappropriate.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Not harmless or funny at all. I spent enough time in contact with anti-racist action groups in college to know that there are white supremacist groups everywhere, not just in the South or in rural areas. There are plenty of groups in NJ, and I know there's a group of skinheads that is run out of a town 20 minutes from me in Delaware. They are out there and they are scary, and nobody should be dressing like them for fun. The two neo-Nazi rallies I protested were the scariest shiit I have ever seen.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • A small town in Iowa.  It is beyond stupid. 
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • ricks' friends decided not to do it since it bothered people.
  • Thanks anna. I didn't see an F/U.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • There were 4 of them.  They can't be well educated people.  The girl they interviewed had either missing teeth or really bad gaps in her teeth. 
    my read shelf:
  • ricks' friends decided not to do it since it bothered people. Probably the understatement of the year.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Whoa. Yea I don't find that funny at all either.
  • Wearing KKK outfit is not harmless. The school I student taught at in WV did not allow anyone to wear a costume because last year a couple students painted themselves black and wore a noose.  There are still racists around in this country you can look at the Maine results to see how backwards our country still is.
  • You're not wrong at all. I would find that beyond offensive. I don't understand those awful costumes like KKK and Hilter. BTW Night Sprite - you were in one of my dreams last night.
  • What happened in your dream?
    my read shelf:
  • Yeah, notsomuch at all.On a side note, when I was young and living in NC, there was a huge riot in Greensboro - KKK, Nazis, and communist labor party, if I remember correctly. It was ugly, historical, and bloody. The KKK and Nazis joined together to attack the anti-KKK rally.Here's a link to a video of news clips, if you're interested. I didn't want to link any of the other stories; couldn't tell which were subtle racist propaganda sites, and I don't want them on my computer or yours.[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmxdC_peeV8[/url]
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Yeah, um, I'm afraid of the KKK, skin-heads, etc.  Not funny at all.
  • Me, too, Money. Me, too.  I've always lived in the South and never understood that ridiculous mentality.I remember being terrified that day the riot happened in Greensboro. Come to think of it, yesterday was the 30th anniversary of that riot in Greensboro. We lived in a town about 20 miles from there.Sad to think it was also the town where one of the counter "sit-ins" happened less than 20 years' prior.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • I have no idea. I was so pissed because I woke up and couldn't remember a damn thing. All I know is that you were in it. I like to think we were skipping through a field or something.
  • Dressing up?  I bet they already had the "costumes" in their closets....
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Not cool at all. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • No, your not wrong! How can someone say holiday harmless fun?? WTF is wrong with people!?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards