Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Vent: Parents' Marriage Imploding

As some of you may possibly remember, I posted ages ago about my dad going through SRS, and how I would address that with people I might be inviting to my wedding who haven't been told ahead of time that I now have two "moms," especially those who knew my father before.My parents have not always had the best marriage, and I have been half expecting divorce for ages, but my mom keeps putting up with the most random crap, and what happened this summer cinched it (story too long to tell).  Mom decided to give Dad another chance, once the surgery was completed, to see if they could make their marriage work.More lies and other random bullcrap later, Mom is pretty much over it.  She is having Dad draw up legal separation papers, and is planning to move out of the house within a month or two.  My fiance and I will probably move out of the tiny place we're in right now to live with my Mom and brother.Mom has been really sweet about my engagement, telling the people she works with (at a school, who have known me for ages) and being excited, but I know it's going to be hard for her.  Dad, well, he dug his own hole.As for me, I'm feeling really... complicated. 

Re: Vent: Parents' Marriage Imploding

• Options
    Your mom is one tough lady. I couldn't even believe trying to make it work after the surgery.I really have no idea what to say, except to be grateful for her and strong for each other.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but what is SRS?I agree that you mom sounds like a tough cookie.  Just try to be there for her!  *Hugs*
  • Options
    SRS = sex-reassignment surgery.And yeah, I'll say she sure is tough.  I can't believe she put up with everything she put up with for 26 entire years, but I guess somewhere it just became too much.
  • Options
    Okay, that's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure I was clear.
  • Options
    Wow. That's a lot for you and your mom to be dealing with. I'm sorry things are so complicated for you right now.
  • Options
    I agree with pp - be as strong for each other as you possibly can. Vent any time you need to - there are plenty of us here to loan an ear . . . er . . . eyes.
  • Options
    Thank you guys.  The upside is, of course, that mom will be a lot happier.  My fiance and I will gain more space, pay less rent, and live in an area we will be a whole lot happier in.  And, it's only for a year.But meh, I can just see the day Mom moves out of their apartment is going to be emotionally draining for everyone, and she's concerned about Dad seeking spousal support (bc he hasn't worked for three years after quitting his job due to being unhappy in it), child support (even though my brother will live with my mom), and that Dad also has legal access to half of Mom's pension and retirement account (and probably will seek it because she spent her own on the surgery/who knows what else).Basically I'm also angry on Mom's behalf bc the whole situation sucks.  But I'm trying to be supportive without pushing her too hard.  It took a lot to even get to this decision.
  • Options
    I'm sorry. My parents divorced about 4 years ago, after 26 years of marriage. Even without dealing with the SRS, it's really... odd to have your parents divorce when you are an adult. If you need to talk about it with someone, email me at my user name at gmail dot com.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Wow. Your mom gets major props from me for being so strong through this. And you're a great daughter for being so supportive. I hope everything turns out good but I have a feeling this is for the best anyways.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards