Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Would you use a volunteer wedding planner?

I have always been passionate about planning and decorating for any event and just recently [within the last few years] have become very interested in wedding planning.  I am a extremely creative and thoughtful person, with incredible problem solving skills.  Not knowing to much about the whole over all process I was thinking about offering to help brides plan and budget their weddings voluntarily.  I could use the exprience and it will help me too build a portfolio for the future if I decided this was what I want to do as a career.  Do you think it is a good idea? Honest opinions please!

Re: Would you use a volunteer wedding planner?

• Options
    I would start out with people you know. Also a lot of community colleges have classes.
  • Options
    I know some girls from college who loved palnning weddings, they all planned many weddings for freinds during college and they just started their own buisness. So I would say start out by offering to plan friends weddings and go from there.
  • Options
    Also you could try to work with a wedding planner. Just to get a feel for it.
  • Options
    I give you all sorts of credit.  I want nothing to do with wedding planning after Saturday!  Ha!  Actually it wasn't that bad, I just want my life back.  I feel like all I ever do is weding crap.  Good luck!
  • Options
    I think it's a good idea. I tend to shy away from mixing business with pleasure because I've seen too many friendships ruined over business related issues. I think if you have the relaxed bride type for friends, it could work well. Bridezilla types, not so much.
  • Options
    I wouldn't hire a wedding planner who made the spelling and grammar mistakes you did in this post, so that's something to work on.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    no, but i'd hire a volunteer doc.
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't trust someone who wanted to work for free, because I've seen too many slack off on free jobs.  Of course you slack off on a job you aren't getting paid for- that's why everybody works for money in this world.  I also think you're more likely to get taken advantage of by people who don't value your time because they aren't paying for it.  Maybe charge a very small fee.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Well, as a stranger I'd be reluctant to have someone on a volunteer basis, but I do advise starting with people you know. Even regular parties, if there aren't many getting married. If after a few goes at it, you decide it's really for you, look into classes for certification. You'll learn a lot of things you didn't know you needed to know. 
    Night swimming in the ocean= pretty sweet reception!
  • Options
    I'm using a volunteer DOC.  She's trying to build her portfolio.I would not use a volunteer wedding planner though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards