Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Recycled E-ring?

2»

Re: Recycled E-ring?

• Options
    well she won't know unless one of you guys tells herHah! Like that won't blow up. FI ex best friend tried to make a huge scandal by secretly telling me that my ring was the same exact one as his exs. I mean, I could see it, it was the exact style, but not the same one. But still, it was really douchy of him to try to screw FI like that.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    I think it's more the intent that makes me all sweemy.  If it was a heirloom or even some random ring he bought in a pawn shop it would be a completely different animal.  But it's not.  He designed/bought it with another girl in mind, and that just doesn't sit right with me.
  • Options
    Oh, and I don't have the e-ring from my ex-FI.  I broke things off with him (for a whole host of reasons), so I wouldn't have felt right keeping it.  Plus, I never would have worn it.  As any other piece of jewelry, either.  Andplusalso, he took it.  As in, it wasn't on my hand anymore so he picked it up and took it.  I wasn't going to fight him for it.  I just wanted to move on.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    Well now reading this, is it bad that I wouldn't want that for myself, but can see the practicality in it? Scott put in A LOT of work to get the right ring for me, which he would take no hints about ever. He just said that when he found it, he'd know it. He's weird like that. So I can see how if I found out that he just had it lying around and thought it was good enough for me and everyone else that that would suck. However, I would venture to guess that he's like that in many arenas and I would probably know what I was getting into with a guy like that. AND if I chose to date a douche like that, I probably wouldn't be suprised.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I was told that since I was "attacking him" about this, I wasn't invited to the guy's hypothetical wedding with this hypothetical chick who's getting a recycled ring. I'm crying into my handkerchief and clutching my pearls at the moment.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If the ring was my style, hell yes, I'd take it.  I don't care if 10 other women wore.  A diamond is a diamond is a diamond.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    He's just using the diamond...not the whole setting? I wouldn't be thrilled about it. However, a loose diamond really has no true chacter or distinction until it is set in a setting. That's the part that really reflects someone's taste. I absolutely adore my ring and my diamond. It would certainly be possible however, to reset the diamond and for me to hate it. It the setting that my diamond is in that makes my friends and family look at it and say, "That's Christie's dream ring. That's what she'd pick."
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The fact that she never received the ring, means it has never been anyones ring technically. Thats my opinion at least.I completely agree with this. And I have it hard to believe that it's a "custom designed" ring. Things like that usually take more than 6 weeks and if they were only dating that long..well then yeah.
    Oh no we dropped the groom!! imagePlanning Bio UPDATED
  • Options
    Yeah, perhaps if he took the time to match the new setting to my personality, I wouldn't care as much about the center stone. The part that I love most about my e-ring is that every time I look at it I am reminded that FI spend hours at the jeweler finding the right stones and designing the setting especially for me. The center stone is gorgeous, but it is the whole package that makes it "my ring." If the center stone was in a different setting, I don't know if I would like it as much. With that said, it is still a douchey thing to do to his hypothetical future gf!
  • Options
    A diamond is a diamond. The girl never had it on her finger. It sounds like he would re-do the setting? That would not bother me at all.
  • Options
    Since she never wore it and he is going to remake the setting. I think it is fine, I would not have a problem with it. As long as it is a normal shape.My problem would have been that it is a diamond, I always wanted a sapphire, which is what I got. :) I love my DH. But I guess it seems most women would not like it, so probably safer for him to use the diamond in some other jewelery and give it to her later.
  • Options
    If the diamond is what I would have wanted anyway -- cut, color, clarity, etc. - I don't think I'd have a problem with it. But I would have had to see it first to determine if I wanted it. FWIW, my ex- and I got engaged, then chose the engagement ring together, which is the only way I would consider getting engaged. I would HATE to be presented with a ring, whether the diamond was originally chosen for me or not.
  • Options
    I agree ten! My DH was alllll about the solitaires when we started looking for an e-ring together. I love antique jewelry and I picked a sapphire in an antique looking setting. I friggin love my ering and I'm glad we did it this way.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If I knew it was a recycled diamond, I'd probably be pissed. Had he not shared his brilliant plan with anyone, no one would probably know/notice, though, and it'd be OK.My BIL was previously engaged and when they broke it off, he kept the ring. When he proposed to his wife, he traded the ring in and bought something twice the original value.SIL loves to brag to me about how much bigger her ring is, and it's so tempting to remind her that the only reason he bought her such a big ring was because of the trade-in on his failed relationship.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Congrats to both my TTC buddies, Amberley18 and sb2006 on their beautiful babies!
  • Options
    at least he didn't propose to her with that ring.  He just had planned to. I think it would feel worse if he actually proposed to her.
    My Fashion & Beauty Blog: www.veronikasblushing.com
  • Options
    I would be pissed for a minute but then realize that he took the time to make the setting different.  Now if he gave me the same ring, I'd be absolutely pissed and would not wear it.
  • Options
    My ring is vintage, meaning some little old lady probably wore it for 60 years, then her kids wanted to sell it. (It's from the 1930s.) But that's WAY different than the ring meant for an ex. I also picked my ring out, so I love it (round, not solitaire, platinum - just what I wanted). How does he even know his imaginary future fiancee will like the shape of stone or whatever?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    You know, depending on the state, the circumstances under which the ring was given, and the circumstances of the breakup, you MUST give back the engagement ring. It's a conditional gift. Keeping it to sell it or have it re-set into a different piece of jewelry isn't an option.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards