Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Knoxville, TN?

FI and I are going to Knoxville and Pigeon Forge this Thursday - Saturday for a job interview for him and to scout the place out in case he gets the job. Anyone from around there or been there and have any suggestions on must-see places? Thanks ladies! :)
ttc chart
BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12

Re: Knoxville, TN?

• Options
    There's ton in Pigeon Forge -- also Gatlinburg is a quick trip away.  I don't know about must-see, but there's an Aquarium, outlet shopping, a huge Christmas decoration store, taffy shops, etc.  You won't be wanting for things to be occupied by.  I'm no help with Knoxville -- I have just driven through.
  • Options
    I haven't been, but Dollywood is in Pigeon Forge.  Could be interesting....
  • Options
    Dollywood has started it's Christmas thing already, so that's kinda neat. Lots of crafts and food. I doubt the rides would be open yet. It's always nice to drive up to the top of the Smoky Mts, there might even be some snow on some of the caps by now. There's a ton of shows to go see, different activites, etc. My parents have a time share there so I'm really familiar with the area. You can email me if you want and I can suggest some specific places if you want. Louisvillebride @ yahoo dot com.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    Pigeon Forge can be a whole lot of tacky fun.  Just don't expect anything classy.  I'm sure there's a municipal law requiring you to check your class at the city line.  There are go carts, arcades, shows, Dollywood, & outlets.  There are no must-sees in PF, but if you go up into the mountains, they have some gorgeous trails to hike. 
  • Options
    There's not a lot of must-see stuff in Knoxville, unless you're a sports fan. The UT football team is out of town, but I think the men's and women's BB teams have their season openers this weekend.Fave places to eat in town: Calhoun's on the River, Downtown Grill and Brewery, Tomato Head, and Copper Cellar. Everything at Copper Cellar is delicious, but I'm especially crazy about their burgers, and on Saturdays you can get their burgers and fries for $4.99.I second everything already said about the Smokies and Gatlinburg. The view from Clingman's Dome this time of year is breathtaking if you're willing to hike it, and Gatlinburg is full of distractions and as my band director said, "ways to part with your money". Have fun!
  • Options
    I went to college at UT, Knoxville and I second ALL of Opalsky's restaurant recommendations!
  • Options
    There is a yummy restaurant in Pigeon Forge called the Apple Barn.  if you like apples, its the place to go.  its country cooking, and the apple dumplings are delicious!
  • Options
    Cade's Cove is my favorite Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge activity.  It's this huge park and you drive through and can see tons of wildlife--last time we saw 24 deer, 3 turkeys, and 2 bears.  There are areas on the drive that you can pull off the road and hike (not far, all less than a half mile) and see old houses, schools, and churches from the late 1800s/early 1900s.
  • Options
    I'm sure there's a municipal law requiring you to check your class at the city line.snort.  Pretty much.  Around here we call Pigeon Forge "Myrtle Beach without the beach part."  Of course, if you've never been to Myrtle, that probably means nothing to you.  Just imagine a lot of airbrush t-shirts, Confederate flag bikinis, and Spring Break t-shirts with misspelled words.But PF is fun if you know what to expect.  Oh, and I heard Dixie Stampede is super fun.  It's a dinner/theatre type thing; they divide the audience into the North and the South, and there's horses and stuff.  That's all I know, but I heard it's a blast, and it's always sold out when we're there (my inlaws have a timeshare in Gatlinburg).
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! I was thinking of Pigeon Forge kind of like a redneck Las Vegas. If FI gets this job we'll probably try to live in between Pigeon Forge and Knoxville and get our mountain experiences in PF and our "culture" in Knoxville :)
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards