Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Favors-little alcohol bottles?

We'd like to give little alcohol bottles of home-made, traditional liquor to our guests...seems like there might be a legal issue of some kind involved, especially since the reception's at a hotel. Anybody have any ideas/thoughts on this? Maybe any ideas on where to get little bottles for this? We're expecting about 150 people. Thanks

Re: Favors-little alcohol bottles?

• Options
    It will likely be 100% against the hotel's policy. 
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    Sounds really cool. I have no idea about the answer to either of your questions though.
  • Options
    I would talk to your hotel first about liability (they may have to serve any alcohol on the premesis).Maybe they could make your recipe and serve it as the signature drink, instead of you giving it out?I have no idea where you would find the bottles though. What will you do for people who don't drink, have substance abuse issues, people under 21? It's a cute idea if you take all of that into consideration :)
  • Options
    Yeah, that would be my concern. Check with the venue about giving away liquor as favors. Sometimes they can't allow it out of a certain area due to licensing regulations and liability issues.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Have you checked with the hotel?  Sometimes they won't allow outside food/drink in, and I can imagine that would be magnified if it's alcohol.I would avoid it.  If there are kids there, they might get into it, and it seems kind of lushy.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    IS IT RED EYE!?!?! YUUUMMMMOOO. Anyhoo, I haven't been to a wedding in ND that didn't allow us to bring in Red Eye. The hotel was always asked. At one place, they charged a corking fee, but I'd just ask them and see what they say.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    A friend of mine did this at her wedding and it was a big hit. Check with your hotel before doing anything, but I dont see why there would be a problem.
  • Options
    Their license probably only covers alcohol served by their bartenders, but as PP's said- check with the hotel.
  • Options
    Our hotel doesn't allow alcohol at all on the premises, so you need to double check with the hotel.Also, you know your guests better than we do. Are they big drinkers? I wouldn't like that favor, I so rarely drink, and even if it is, it's not liquor that comes in a mini bottle.Anyway, I found several websites, but my school blocks them so I don't know what's good:[url]http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=buy+small+bottles+of+alcohol&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=74f5ed7994d722e7[/url]
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    I work at a Country Club and our liquor license prevents any one from taking alcohol products off the premises. Thus, aside from the issue of bringing in something sold to you by the hotel, there may be a real issue with taking liquor off the licensed premises.
  • Options
    don't assume that everyone wants alcohol. What if they're a recovering alcoholic, that would be a slap in the face. I think it's a touchy area for a favor. Also, ask the hotel what their policy is, not us.
  • Options
    Ask the venue if it's okay.  They are the only ones who will know.  I know people who have used wine before, but home-made liquor is totally different, since in most cases they have higher liquor content.  I would even be careful with your libility.  What if someone has an accident after the wedding?  The last thing you want is your liquor involved. As far as the little bottles.  Just google it.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Home made liquor?  Like moonshine?
  • Options
    What do you mean by home-made liquor? Do you mean flavoring existing liquor, like a cordial (berry vodka or the like) or do you mean distilled alcohol, like moonshine? One is legal in the US, one isn't.Check with the hotel, of course. And I will echo PPs that alcohol is not always a good idea as a mass gift. We have several recovering alcoholics among our family and friends and it would be in extremely poor taste to hand out favors that not all our guests could enjoy.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We gave out mini bottles of champange and our hotel was 100% OK with it as long as they were given to guests as they leave (not on the table or anything like that) and not opened on site. See pics in our married bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards