Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Can I be serious for a minute?

Did anyone get cold feet? FI and I got in a fight. And I'm having a moment of "OMG can I really do this for the rest of my life?" I'm not doubting that I love him. I don't know if I just didn't care about wedding stuff for so long that now we're 2 weeks out, it's hitting me? I mean, I'm still planning things. I just signed a contract. It's not like I've put a complete halt to everything.He's been trying to call repetitively, and I had to send him an email to back off, telling him I just needed a little time to myself.Did this happen to anyone else? Is this just nerves?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Can I be serious for a minute?

• Options
    Oh  Bel. I'm so sorry. I think the stress of the situation manifests as doubt and you just have to supress the misguided feelings. Can I ask what the fight was about? If it was of little importance in the grand scheme of things, let it go. You just need a break from the stress, not from him. Maybe take tomorrow and do NOTHING wedding-related. Just decompress and enjoy a day.
  • Options
    Yeah, that moment came after the wedding for me.  Only then it was "OMG, do I really have to do this for the rest of my life?"It's just a fight - it's affecting you now because you are so close.  Put the wedding thoughts behind you and deal with it as you always would.  The only reason that it should give you pause is if it is something drastic in terms of how the two of you view life, which, I would imagine would be something that you've fought about up until now, too.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It didn't happen to me, and if it had, I would have put the breaks on it. That said, we really don't fight much at all. The time leading up to the wedding, albeit stressful, actually brought us closer together because we were both supports for each other. In this case, though, I'd give it a little time and evaluate it in a day or two. If you fight frequently, perhaps it's something you need to give more thought to. If you don't, and this is just spurred by your emotional state right now, you don't have much to worry about- and you'll no doubt see that in a day or two when you've calmed down.
  • Options
    PS: I'm really sorry you're going through this right now, but do try to step back and not over-think it right now. You've got enough to think about already, by the sounds of it!
  • Options
    To be honest, this sounds like a case of stress more than cold feet. Maybe that is what cold feet even is. Things about weddings are very daunting. I hear you say you are not questioning your love and that is what matters. You guys are going to get through this ::hugs::
  • Options
    I think it's normal. You're about to make a very big life-changing decision. I had a moment in the middle of the night when DH was snoring and I thought "really? this noise? forever?" I know it's not the same as a fight, but I don't think it's unusual for your nerves to exaggerate the things that irk you. I think it's good of you to be honest with him and say you need a little space. But I think that when you're ready, you need to also be honest with him about how you felt. And don't leave him waiting - I'm sure he's feeling anxious too.
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Options
    It's ok, everybody fights at least once, it's natural.I'm sure the questioning if you can handle being in this "for life" is just nerves ... I mean, it's not like you're asking yourself "What do I see in him?". Look at it this way: would you really make any other decision knowing that you're going to have to deal with it for the next 80 years or so and not think twice about it? Just take some time for yourself, regroup, breathe deep, and try to work things out. Maybe take a day with your FI where talking/thinking/doing wedding stuff is just off-limits, just so you guys can remember there's more to your relationship than the wedding (Which, I'm sure lately, it feels like it's pretty much the ONLY thing to it).Cheer up! It'll be ok.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    I'm 10 days out and have noticed we've had more wee spats in the last couple of weeks than we normally would.  Nothing serious, mainly things getting blown out of proportion because we're both tired and stressed over WR and family shite.  So you're not alone :o)  Like pps said, so long as they aren't really drastic problems or fights, I'd write it off to stress.  Just be aware that you're both on a short fuse at the moment and try to respond calmly instead of flying off the handle if he makes a remark that rubs you the wrong way.  HTH!
  • Options
    I think it's mostly stress. I'm on a service that I hate. I still don't have my assignment squared away for the week before the wedding; the old one fell through. We still don't have all our vendors booked. FI is only home 36 hours per week. We don't usually fight. Not real fights, anyway; mostly bickering. We were fighting basically about him not "giving me what I need," if you catch my drift. He says I always exaggerate our problems when he's on the road. I think I just need a vacation, really.
  • Options
    Yeah, I think the concept of cold feet is so well-known because it's a very common experience!  I had the dumbest "trigger" for it, though.  Shortly before we were to leave to go home for the wedding, Mr. Gem was getting over a cold and kept clearing his throat.  I was stressed out with wedding stuff and preparing for the conference I was coerced into doing the week before the wedding, and I got to where I swore that if he cleared his throat one more time, it was all going to be over.    So yeah, I definitely agree with pp that cold feet is really just misplaced wedding stress.  I mean, if you have serious doubts then you owe it to yourself and to him to put the brakes on, but only you can decide how serious the concern really is. 
  • Options
    Like Brooke and Tide have said, everybody really has that one moment where it's like "Really? This?"For me it was one of the last parties we attended together about a month ago. FI is annoyingly punctual (Like if a party starts at 2, FI is parking the car at 1:55), and I'm quite the opposite. I forget what it even was, but he started hounding me to get ready like 2 hours before I needed to because we "had to be on time" and he "wanted to factor in traffic". And I couldn't help thinking "Really? I'm going to have him annoy the crap out of me to get ready for every.single.party. for the rest of my life?". And after I thought about it, I realized "Screw it, I'll just have to break him", lol.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    I think I just need a vacation, really.Or a creepy, huggy, arm pillow thingy.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    i freaked about an hour before my wedding. my dad brought me to the bar and boozed me up a little to calm my nerves, then walked me down the aisle.before/after that... no. sorry. if it helps, it really IS common to feel that way...
  • Options
    Tide - I actually LOLed. I'll get right on ordering that to provide comfort and peace of mind.
  • Options
    Right after FI and I got engaged, we had the biggest fight of our relationship. I was crying a lot. We had been drinking. But he told me then, "This isn't like we're breaking up or anything." And I totally believed him and felt better. Slightly. We live together, too, so it was hard.Good luck. You guys will be fine and the wedding will be awesome.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards