Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

My brother...

...is planning to propose to his girlfriend of 5 months. As in, they've only known each other for 5 months and I've only met her 3 times. He said he plans to ask her "soon." I guess when you know, you know...right? How long did you know your FI/DH before getting engaged? DH and I knew each other for 7 years before he proposed.

Re: My brother...

• Options
    we knew each other for 7 years, dated for 1.5 before getting engaged. married almost a year later
  • Options
    Dh and I knew each other for...2ish years and had been dating for about 8 months.
  • Options
    Eeek. How old is he?We knew each other 5 years before he proposed and dated for juuust about 2 years before.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    If it makes you feel better, my parents only knew/dated each other for 5 months before dad proposed. 30something years later and they are still going strong.
  • Options
    3.5 years - But really, I think I knew we would marry on the first date.
  • Options
    Dated 2 1/2 years and got married 2 years after that.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Did he pick out a ring yet?We knew each other for a little less than 2 years...but it's SO different when you're in your late 20s.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    We had known each each other for a little over a year when he proposed.  By the time we get married, it will be almost 2 years.  He bought the ring after about 10 months of dating though.
  • Options
    Well, we started dating at 15 and we got engaged at 24, so about 8 1/2 years. 
  • Options
    Katie - My brother doesn't have such a great track record with relationships, so that worries me more than the 5 month aspect. Maybe it'll work out this time - I hope so! I do like her. I like hearing stories like that. My parents met and were married in about 14 months. They saw each other once during that time because my dad lived in Australia and my mom in the US. LVB - They both turned 21 in August.
  • Options
    We knew each other for four years, then dated for two months before FI proposed.  We've been engaged for 1.5 years and are getting married in March.
  • Options
    We got engaged after 9 months.  We knew a lot earlier than that.
    Planning bio My DIY blog The Maine Bio

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Jaime has read 18 books toward her goal of 50 books.
    hide
  • Options
    10 years :)
  • Options
    Knew eachother 6.5, dated 5.5... Is this your 16 year old brother?
    imageimage
    BFP 5/2/11, missed m/c, D&C 6/13/11
    BFP 12/8/11--Little Girl E Born 8/22/12
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have been with my BF for over 4 years, we knew each other for a few months before that. How old is your brother? We actually talked about getting married when we had been dating less than a year, but in a "in the future" kind of way. I turned 20 right after we started dating though, so I would have been pretty young to get married then.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Nevermind...we posted at the same time.  I was worried after your previous post :)
    imageimage
    BFP 5/2/11, missed m/c, D&C 6/13/11
    BFP 12/8/11--Little Girl E Born 8/22/12
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Cengle - DH bought my ring 6 months into our relationship. He said he had known for over 6 years that he was going to marry me. Aww! Sucrets - He did. He got a set (e-ring and wedding band) for $1100 at a local jewelry shop. He still hasn't sent me a great picture of it though, but it looks nice from what I can tell.
  • Options
    We knew each other for probably 5 years before he proposed.  We dated for 3.  Since we were so young at the time we got engaged, we also had a 3 year engagement.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    As in the 16 year old brotherr who has no interest in talking to you? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. It'll be over by 7th period tomorrow. We were together about 8 months.
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Options
    We knew each other for 10 years, but weren't close until almost 5 years ago when we started dating.
  • Options
    Well, I can't say much because I had turned 21 a couple months before we got engaged. But FI was 25 and it was after 5 years. But who knows. I'm certainly not one to knock young marriages. I wish them all the best.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    FI and I knew each other for 4 years when he proposed.  Although, we've only been a couple for 1.5 of those years.  We were friends a long time though.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    Blender - Oh hell no! I'd kick his butt. He's been dating a girl for a few months now and it's all puppy love. They say they'll marry each other but I said that about my boyfriend at 16 years old too!
  • Options
    We've been together for a little over 4 years, he proposed a little before 3 years. My sister-in-laws parents eloped after a weekend and they've been married for over 40 years. And goddamn are they cute together. One of my good friends got engaged after knowing her husband for about seven months. They got married a little over a year later. Still going strong.
  • Options
    We had known each other for 11 years, and had been dating for 5 years when he proposed.
  • Options
    LVB - Oh, I'm not one to knock them either. I was engaged at 20 and married at 22. But he's my brother so it's a bit different. He's also in the Army, so I think that is playing a role. I think they want to get married before he deploys next summer and honestly, I don't blame them.
  • Options
    FI and I have known each other for 16 years (kinda impressive, right?) and had been dating for a little less than 7 years before getting engaged (which was 2 months ago). Pretty much everyone's reaction to our engagement was "Finally." :)
  • Options
    Oh jeez, as much as I love many young brides on this board 21 and 5 months is a bad combination. My parents were...26 and 27 when they met!Maybe convince him to have a really long engagement in case it goes bad? It's easier to back our of that than a marriage.
  • Options
    Wow, I didn't know you were so young GG! People like us really dispel the beebee young bride thing.
  • Options
    We had been dating for 14 months when he proposed, but we were talking about "when we get married" by about the 2 month mark.  We will have been together a little over 2 years when we get married.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards