Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

WWYD? Somewhat WR

So my friend was telling me about some of her wedding plans, and she was talking about where they were staying the night of the wedding.  They are getting married in our hometown, but the bride and groom have decided to stay in 1 of the 3 hotels they have blocks at.Ok here's what I call the problem lies.  The groom's mom is wanting to stay in the same hotel as the couple the night of because she just wants to be near the couple.  My friend finds this a little weird, and I can't really say that I blame her.  How would you feel about it?If it matters, the reception isn't at any hotel.

Re: WWYD? Somewhat WR

• Options
    I wouldn't tell groom's mom where we were staying. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Does she want to stay in the next room to them? Or just in the same hotel? Same hotel, I wouldn't care really. I would imagine there will be other guests there too if they have a block there. Granted, the FMIL's reasoning is a little strange...but I don't think it's anything to be upset about.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yep, weird. I'd get a room somwhere else and not tell her. Time to cut the cord.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Options
    Ummm...yeah, that's creepy.  I wouldn't tell them, either. 
  • Options
    My mom tried to do that. I told her our hotel was way too expensive. It actually was, but even if it wasn't, there's no way I'd want my parents or ILs at my wedding night hotel. Space is necessary sometimes.
  • Options
    I don't think it's weird for them to stay at the same hotel, but I think it's super weird that she "wants to be near" them. Eww!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Creepy. I mean, you know what will be going on that night. What parents want to be near that? :S
  • Options
    My Ils stayed in the suite right. next. door. to ours.  Awkward. and when we extended our stay an extra night so did they. WTF?  we even requested that our parents be on a different level,not sure how ILS ended up next to us.  I can only imagine. CUT.THE. CORD!!!! 
  • Options
    Eh, as long as she's not wanting to stay in the same room as them I don't see what the big deal is.  Our parents and our kids will all be in the same hotel the night of the wedding.
  • Options
    I don't think it's weird for them to stay at the same hotel, but I think it's super weird that she "wants to be near" them. Eww! I agree with this.  I understand wanting to be wherever you feel will be the "activity center," but hopefully she isn't thinking that she should share a 2bedroom suite with the bride and groom.
  • Options
    The logic of that is so flawed.  "I just want to be near the couple while they have married sex."  Awkward!
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    I think it's kinda weird.  If they really want that hotel, make sure they tell the front desk that they aren't to give their room number to anybody AT ALL.
  • Options
    Eh its not too weird for me, but then again I know that my mom wouldn't want to share a wall or come find me that night. They may just want to do a brunch the next morning? If that is her intention, and the B&G don't agree with that, then maybe I see some concern.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Options
    We were all in the same hotel in Las Vegas, with two exceptions. Now, we were in different parts of the hotel (in fact, I think J and I were the only ones in the pyramid), and that was a PITA when it came time to get ready for the wedding and when we left the reception/after party etc. It was a long walk.No one expected us to but up next to them, though. I'm glad we were all close by - it was nice to  be able to visit.  Disclaimer - I live 700 miles from my parents and 1200 miles from the rest of my family and friends. Only family near is DH's sister, nephew, and aunt.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    Oh she's definitely not sharing a suite or room.  Even if the mom actually wanted to, my friend definitely would never let that happen.  I can't actually see the groom wanting that or even the mom.  Actually the "being near" them, may not be the whole reason (this is coming from the friend after all). But yeah I'll definitely mention to her to talk to the hotel about keeping her room separate from theirs.  I just thought it was weird and could help spice up the board a little.
  • Options
    I see some problems with this MIL.  Absolutely weird.That said, I had to organize 20 odd suites at the reception site for family. I was the only one who knew where B&G that night.
  • Options
    Whoever mentioned the going to brunch, I think that may be what she wants.  I just think my friend got caught up in the idea that she wants to be near them.  This is the lady's first born so I'm sure she'd like to do a late brunch or at least make sure to say good bye before they leave for the honeymoon.
  • Options
    Hide from the Groom's mom, and possibly inquire about a restraining order for the big day....
  • Options
    Maybe a little creepy? It sort of depends on how people get along. If they're always at arms length that's a little odd, but if they spend a lot of time together I could see it being not such a big deal.Oh, and if she wants to stay in the next room over, definitely creepy.

1st year anniversary in Victoria with a killer whale topiary!
  • Options
    Yeah it definitely sounds creepy at first.  But now I've heard a couple of different takes that give me a different view point, so I'm sure the bride would definitely like to hear the mom isn't trying to ruin the night. From what I understand, it would really be out of character for the mom if that was what she was trying to do.  Normally my friend probably wouldn't have cared so much about this, but she's been a little stressed lately so I think this was almost like the straw that broke the camel's back.  I kind of thought it was funny, but I'm sure I'd act the same way at first.
  • Options
    I wouldn't tell anyone where the b/g were staying at. Everyone called us all hours of the night, and wouldn't stop. We had to shut our phones off.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards