Wedding Etiquette Forum

So the anti abortion commercial

Re: So the anti abortion commercial

• Pam Tebow contracted amoebic dysentery in the Philippines.  The illness caused her to fall into a coma- doctors placed her on high doses of antibiotics to cure the disease- when they discovered she was pregnant.  Due to the illness and the medication, both her life and her baby's life were in danger.  Medical professionals informed her that abortion was an option- to save her own life, as having the baby in the state she was in was life threatening.  She chose not to abort the baby and, luckily for her, both she and her son lived.

My issue with this commercial is that it's promoting Tim Tebow as the result of not having an abortion.  Pam Tebow has been really outspoken in regard to the whole "right to life" thing, so anyone with background on her knows her stance.  She benefited from the definition of choice- she chose to keep her baby. 

I'd imagine if Tim Tebow were born crippled and mentally retarded due to the antibiotics his mother was on during her pregnancy, Pam Tebow wouldn't be nearly as thrilled about the "miracle" he turned out to be.

Sorry, friends... but this really, really bothers me.
  • Fishy, I agree with you and don't know if I could do it.  If it came down to it, I don't know what DH and I would decide to do. 
  • I think its pure luck that the medication didnt negatively affect the baby, and thats surely not the case for everyone.
  • So, because it turned out perfectly for them, it will for everyone?  That's a GREAT message. *facepalm*  To me, it reads like, "I was willing to kill myself or seriously disable my baby because God doesn't like abortions." 
  • They are going to air it during the SB too, right? Funny thing is I just talked to N about this and asked if he had heard about it. And then I popped on here and saw that you had posted about it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anti-abortion-commercial?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:113f7e55-85fe-4a6c-8d3c-72c36ee6d770Post:0de86c60-dbe6-4a45-bb60-f41c6da91273">Re: So the anti abortion commercial</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, because it turned out perfectly for them, it will for everyone?  That's a GREAT message. *facepalm*  To me, it reads like, <strong>"I was willing to kill myself or seriously disable my baby because God doesn't like abortions."</strong> 
    Posted by AmoroAgain[/QUOTE]
    Thats what I get too.
  • Yeah, like I said. I respect that people take that stance. That is certainly their choice, and I'm not one to judge, really. I mean, I do, but I know that isn't my place.

But it just seems like a really horrible message to send to people.

Can we please see a pro life commerical with the mother who is struggling to make ends meet, who is searching for government programs that don't exist, and who goes to the grocery store with her food stamps and gets judged for that?

Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • GG they have been playing it all day.

The commercial doesn't bother me but I will say that I am pretty indifferent when it comes to abortion. It's just one of those issues I don't take interest in either way.

• Exactly.  Not only did she risk the baby's life, but hers as well.  To me, it's the equivalent someone that survives a horrific car crash telling people, "Well, I survived and everything is fine.  I chose not to wear a seatbelt and look at the results!  So, consider that next time you drive."

I just don't think it's a terribly responsible message- especially given the likelihood of anyone popping out a professional athlete.  Not to mention those who are already at-risk.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anti-abortion-commercial?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:113f7e55-85fe-4a6c-8d3c-72c36ee6d770Post:2c925667-8853-4faa-97ef-c0b5d047b14f">Re: So the anti abortion commercial</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, like I said. I respect that people take that stance. That is certainly their choice, and I'm not one to judge, really. I mean, I do, but I know that isn't my place. But it just seems like a really horrible message to send to people. Can we please see a pro life commerical with the mother who is struggling to make ends meet, who is searching for government programs that don't exist, and who goes to the grocery store with her food stamps and gets judged for that?
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]

My sister and my niece would be this example.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anti-abortion-commercial?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:113f7e55-85fe-4a6c-8d3c-72c36ee6d770Post:2c925667-8853-4faa-97ef-c0b5d047b14f">Re: So the anti abortion commercial</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can we please see a pro life commerical with the mother who is struggling to make ends meet, who is searching for government programs that don't exist, and who goes to the grocery store with her food stamps and gets judged for that?
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]

Yes, please.

I'm on the PP listserv, and they wrote a great response to the commercial, basically saying "We think this is a great commercial because it's supporting what we've been advocating all along: that a woman should be able to make her own medical decisions."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anti-abortion-commercial?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:113f7e55-85fe-4a6c-8d3c-72c36ee6d770Post:a4459219-d62c-476e-a6cb-ef30e3099325">Re: So the anti abortion commercial</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: So the anti abortion commercial : Yes, please. I'm on the PP listserv, and they wrote a great response to the commercial, basically saying "We think this is a great commercial because it's supporting what we've been advocating all along: that a woman should be able to make her own medical decisions."
    Posted by sarahmk5[/QUOTE]

I just wish they would say something stronger, you know? I get the point they're making but there's so much more they could say.  It's like, in this fight, everyone's agreed to be polite ad naseum and nothing of worth ever gets said.
  • That's true. I'm very glad she had the choice to follow what her beliefs were and not be forced to keep or abort a child based on medical advice.

I don't agree with her, but it was her reproductive choice.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Or what about a commercial where a young girl was raped and forced to keep the baby (if abortion was illegal). There are many sides to things, and in Tebows case it worked out great. I'm betting in the majority of cases, especially when it comes to medically encouraged abortions, it doesn't turn out so great for anyone involved.
  • But if they say something stronger, they come off as being crazy left wing liberals who want to kill babies. I think they are doing what they can.

The Margarita Evolution
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anti-abortion-commercial?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:113f7e55-85fe-4a6c-8d3c-72c36ee6d770Post:daa3736c-304f-42fd-bb35-38955da1d385">Re: So the anti abortion commercial</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: So the anti abortion commercial : I just wish they would say something stronger, you know? I get the point they're making but there's so much more they could say.  It's like, in this fight, everyone's agreed to be polite ad naseum and nothing of worth ever gets said.
    Posted by AmoroAgain[/QUOTE]

I agree.  I can see why they would want to tread lightly in this case, though, since their opponent is, too.  Why come out gun a blazin' if they other side is trying to play nice?  They don't want to become the overbearing bad guys.
  • I agree Amoro. The commercial was super ambiguous.
  • I'd feel a lot better about the whole "choice" message if it weren't coming from Pam Tebow.  She's done numerous appearances at Right to Life events, etc.  I just feel like it's choice in sheep's clothing, so to speak.  You're free to choose, so long as you make the "right" choice. 
  • Wait I am lost lol!
  • Ang - Ah, okay. I just turned the SB channel on a little while ago. I was under the impression that it was just going to air during the actual game.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anti-abortion-commercial?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:113f7e55-85fe-4a6c-8d3c-72c36ee6d770Post:0fe22da9-4dfa-43fb-a7d2-84dc57150389">Re: So the anti abortion commercial</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ang - Ah, okay. I just turned the SB channel on a little while ago. I was under the impression that it was just going to air during the actual game.
    Posted by ggmae[/QUOTE]

I was too.
  • Well, here's the ad that DIDN'T make it last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2CaBR3z85c

• No, no.  Don't get me wrong.  I totally understand WHY they're treading the way they are, but it's like a pillow fight where everyone's using a feather.
  • OOOHHH Banana. That one is bad. Very bad.

The Margarita Evolution
  • That commercial wasn't bad either. IDK I guess I expect the poster anti abortion type commercials YKWIM?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anti-abortion-commercial?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:113f7e55-85fe-4a6c-8d3c-72c36ee6d770Post:ac4f2cf7-cd6c-4c04-961d-71cb8a8a8b0c">Re: So the anti abortion commercial</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, here's the ad that DIDN'T make it last year: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2CaBR3z85c" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2CaBR3z85c</a>
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

1) I'm guessing Obama wasn't loving that he was the poster boy for that commerical.
    2) I feel like this is just like the Tebow's ad so I'm not even certain what the difference is.
  • OMG.  That commercial is waaaay worse than this one.  I'm glad they didn't air it.
  • Hmm. I have heard a lot of hype about this commercial over the past few weeks, but it wasn't what I expected at all.
  • I really don't see why that one is worse.  Perhaps with the blatant use of our President in a campaign that he didn't sign up for, and doesn't support, but it's pretty much the same message to me.
  • I think it's just more blatant than the first. The agenda isn't as hidden.

The Margarita Evolution
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards