Wedding Etiquette Forum

Re: O RLY?

• Options
    For real? 
    Planning bio My DIY blog The Maine Bio

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Jaime has read 18 books toward her goal of 50 books.
    hide
  • Options
    That's something to proud about...?
  • Options
    Did you make that? P&Eisawesome.com is not real... correct?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Its from the bump too. "I'm proud that I made a bad decision and dragged my kid into it!"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The accent is over the wrong e, and it's the wrong accent mark too.  Fail.
  • Options

They are creative in what they choose to be proud of.
  • Options
    I actually feel really sad that anyone would want that in their signature.  I can see being proud of leaving an abusive situation or something like that, but to advertise it to people that don't know your situation? 
    Planning bio My DIY blog The Maine Bio

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Jaime has read 18 books toward her goal of 50 books.
    hide
  • Options
    Sweet! I'm proud of my bad financial decisions!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    errrr.....this is disturbing on many many levels. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would never put it in my signature, but for the record. I am "proud" that I made the decision to leave my first marriage. Proud because I stood up for myself and realized I was in a situation that was eating away at me mentally and emotionally, and I no longer knew who I was. Even when my former MIL asked me if I thought Jesus/God wanted me to divorce, I told her yes, because I didn't think He would want me to live in misery. Even when the ex told me I was going to go to hell because I broke the vows I made before God and our families, I told him that was my problem, not his.

I tried for 3 1/2 years to make it work because I DIDN'T want to be a divorcee - I didn't want to fail.  But, in the end, there were two of us failing at that relationship, and I needed to save myself.

Stupid, stupid badge. I have to think it was made to make fun of someone.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    ITA Missy. The badge bothers me because it seems like you should label/define yourself based on previous relationships.
  • Options
    FWIW, I still ended up feeling like a failure for quite some time, after the initial euphoria of being rid of the douchebag.  And, I still often feel like a failure for not realizing he was a douche in the first place.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    They have some weird things over in the nest/bump world.
  • Options
    Don't worry about it missy, we all make mistakes. Some mistakes just require more paperwork than others Laughing
  • Options
    Even more hilarious than those badges is that you dummies think they're all omfg-serious.

Are you serious???
  • Options
    Someone with a lolcat in her signature probably shouldn't call other people dummies.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    OMFG. You people are such N00bs.
    So it goes.
  • Options
    Does marriage make you more intelligent?  I hate to think I was this dumb before I got married.

I am really at a loss as to how someone could miss the sarcasm of so many badges.
    imageimage

Birthday
    Birthday
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    what does O RLY? mean, I guess my ignorance is showing....

ETA: WTH these are my old siggies
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_o-rly?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:115585d6-8234-46ba-af7f-e8ee0637e0f6Post:662e2417-7b9c-4015-99df-fb2406b66291">Re: O RLY?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The accent is over the wrong e, and it's the wrong accent mark too.  Fail.
    Posted by kate51485[/QUOTE]
    Understanding satire fail.
    "I?ve got magic. I?ve got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time (and this includes naps) I?m an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground." - inspirational words from Charlie Sheen
  • Options
    I understand the satire, I just don't find it funny. Is the woman with the 'divorcee' badge divorced? Not a good first impression, IMO.
  • Options
    talltalltreestalltalltrees member
    First Comment
    edited November 2009
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_o-rly?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:115585d6-8234-46ba-af7f-e8ee0637e0f6Post:e7ba0b80-ec0f-4fe4-abf7-e0ee83fa238f">Re: O RLY?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I understand the satire, I just don't find it funny. Is the woman with the 'divorcee' badge divorced? Not a good first impression, IMO.
    Posted by jessjo04[/QUOTE]
    Why is it not a good first impression to let people know you're divorced? Why is it any different from being a "budget bride" or "summer bride"?

The point of these satirical badges is to make fun of the pointlessness of the badges in the first place. Nobody cares that you're getting married in the summer any more than they care about whether you're divorced or not.

And yes, that badge was specifically requested by a divorced lady. With no kids, not that it's any of your business anyway.

FWIW, I don't think anybody with the "foreclosed!" badge actually foreclosed. I'm not actually expecting octuplets either, in case you were wondering.
    "I?ve got magic. I?ve got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time (and this includes naps) I?m an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground." - inspirational words from Charlie Sheen
  • Options
    I'm wondering how those badges are any different really than the ones we did with the silly bride badges?  I found them humorous, in the sarcastic commentary on society way.
  • Options
    Because no one here made a sarcastic badge? Hmmm?

There really was a gold digging wife?  What about the shotgun wedding ones.

Yeah.  The nest/bump are awful.  For doing what P&E did.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    Actually I did compare it to the P&E ones. I just thought it was odd. And I dont care whoTF is divoced, and of course your divorce is none of my business, but youre sure trying to make it.
  • Options
    Again, it was fine here then?  And you think that the person who called themselves a gold digging wife really was that AND proud of it?

For the record, "Gold Digging Wife" is more offensive that being divorced.  Seriously.  I think it's more telling that you judge someone harshly for being divorced.

It's certainly nothing to be ashamed of. 

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_o-rly?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:115585d6-8234-46ba-af7f-e8ee0637e0f6Post:bba09acf-733a-465a-b3a1-0f86502f23ba">Re: O RLY?</a>:
    [QUOTE]ITA Missy. The badge bothers me because it seems like you should label/define yourself based on previous relationships.
    Posted by jessjo04[/QUOTE]

As opposed to labeling/defining yourself based on your current relationship?
  • Options
    Really folks? I just thought it was odd. Way to take things too seriously.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    When seen in proximity with the other badges, you still don't get that it's meant as a commentary on the Nest's lame "serious" badges?

ETA: Maybe it would be clearer if Knot signtature formatting worked the same as Nest formatting. Regardless. I am a divorced lady who has that badge in my signature, along with some others, including one that says "No Skittles for Poor People." You could surmise that I don't think poor people deserve skittles, and that I think being divorced is awesome. Or, it could be an attempt at humor. You might not think either are funny, and that's totes fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards