Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Olympics!

Is anyone else as excited as I am?

If nothing else, it will be something entertaining to watch at the gym for the next few weeks. 

Favorite sports?  Athletes you love?  Athletes you're already sick of?  Theories on where Bob Costas disappears to in the off years? Random country you root for?  Country of primary loyalty?  Opinions of Vancouver?

two years!
after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
Pregnancy Ticker
Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart

Re: Olympics!

• Options
    I'm totally pumped to watch the Olympics this year, especially since DH and I will be moving to Victoria in July (he got his orders last week, yay!!) so it's getting me excited about BC.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_olympics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:11782aae-fa2f-40c1-9dda-e3e211d71b8bPost:51ac5cb8-6671-4270-ab27-383d57b5bbaf">Re: Olympics!</a>:
    [QUOTE]And I'm still paying for my gymnastics days. I never had any serious injuries, but my joints hate me now. I can predict the weather with my knees.
    Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]

I pay for it with my right shoulder and both my ankles. I literally can not run. It's not 'cause I'm outta shape or lazy, it's because I physically can't. I try, but I can't. These days I'm trying to easy my way in to running...by doing "clinics" at home. Run one minute, walk one minute...that seems to work for my ankles. I used to run a lot during my gym days.
  • Options
    Morfudd, I have serious doubts about the Canadian men winning gold this year, I think the team has some extremely weak spots, but I am hopeful. I think the women - as usual - have it in the bag though.

I think my favourite events to watch are skeleton (because those peeps are crazy!), downhill skiiing, hockey and the figure skating.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_olympics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:11782aae-fa2f-40c1-9dda-e3e211d71b8bPost:7409bbb3-20a6-4139-a485-0b479a114a2e">Re: Olympics!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Olympics! : I pay for it with my right shoulder and both my ankles.
    Posted by pumpkinpumpkin[/QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth. So yours crack, pop and crunch with almost every movement? It grosses Jay out to no extent.
  • Options
    ac - that's awesome!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_olympics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:11782aae-fa2f-40c1-9dda-e3e211d71b8bPost:3818e85d-359f-417c-81fa-5fbb2193bb8e">Re: Olympics!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm totally pumped to watch the Olympics this year, especially since DH and I will be moving to Victoria in July (he got his orders last week, yay!!) so it's getting me excited about BC.
    Posted by ac_in_dc[/QUOTE]

That's exciting! I've never been past Kelowna. But next January I get to go to a conference in Victoria.

Also - whoever mentioned chinese cuisine and hong kong....Vancouver has a bit of a nick-name. Hongcouver, so I don't doubt that at all.
  • Options
    ac: Moving to Victoria is exciting! (my fiance's family is from there, and it's where he went to undergrad.) I always want to move there whenever I visit. I'm jealous.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_olympics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:11782aae-fa2f-40c1-9dda-e3e211d71b8bPost:4837e599-4fc4-4ce6-be20-18a3c926325c">Re: Olympics!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Olympics! : Ain't that the truth. So yours crack, pop and crunch with almost every movement? It grosses Jay out to no extent.
    Posted by alixzafiris[/QUOTE]

Yep, and my right shoulder dislocates itself periodically. I know how to pop it back in to place, which freaks Mark out even more.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_olympics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:11782aae-fa2f-40c1-9dda-e3e211d71b8bPost:5e1884bf-360a-4420-aadf-dafefb585c7f">Re: Olympics!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Olympics! : Yep, and my right shoulder dislocates itself periodically. I know how to pop it back in to place, which freaks Mark out even more.
    Posted by pumpkinpumpkin[/QUOTE]

My left hip does this and Jay has to leave the room, it's hilarious.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_olympics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:11782aae-fa2f-40c1-9dda-e3e211d71b8bPost:d10617d0-7dc2-41c4-a042-6561c9e5a966">Re: Olympics!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Morfudd, I have serious doubts about the Canadian men winning gold this year, I think the team has some extremely weak spots, but I am hopeful. I think the women - as usual - have it in the bag though. I think my favourite events to watch are skeleton (because those peeps are crazy!), downhill skiiing, hockey and the figure skating.

Yeah, I have my doubts, too. But hey, I'm from San Francisco, we had an ill-fated hockey team (for maybe three months), I'm used to hoping for improbable and seriously unlikely outcomes in this sport--especially when it will really, really suck if they lose.
  • Options
    Where is Sarahnumbers?  I want the speed skating dirt from her.
    two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am so rediculously excited, it's irritating FI.  Highlight of EVERYTHING for me.  I particularly like the skiing in the winter Olympics.  I wanted to go for my 30th, but it was not feasible with the wedding this year.  Otherwise - I'd be there for sure.

I cheer for the US.  And then Japan and Canada.  And sometimes Australia. 

And, I hate that I have to go to work and miss stuff during the day.  Fortunately, we have 2 DVRs with 2 tuners apiece in them.  :D
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_olympics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:11782aae-fa2f-40c1-9dda-e3e211d71b8bPost:e4ffc805-c18d-47d9-8c88-64e1a8798956">Re: Olympics!</a>:
    [QUOTE]  And I lthink Vancouver is beautiful and would love to visit it someday.
    Posted by baystateapple[/QUOTE]

DO IT!!!!!!! I'm not from Vancouver, but its beautiful and definetly worth going there!
    <*>My Blog<*> Updated Sept. 20 My BFP Chart
    Started TTC July 2010 ~ Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism April 2011 ~ BFP 5.10.11 EDD 1.16.12
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am an Olympic sports junkie. I will watch it all. My least favorite is probably curling, but that's because I don't fully understand the sport. Since I was a swimmer and cross-country skiier in high school, I like both winter and summer games. 3/4 of the reason we broke down and got cable back last week was so I could watch the Olympics. Since prior to last Tuesday we had nothing, I'm not OD'd by the commercials. Yet.
  • Options
    Also, totally irrelevant, but the mascots are adorable.  And one of them is a Sasquatch.
    two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_olympics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:11782aae-fa2f-40c1-9dda-e3e211d71b8bPost:df360da4-48fa-4236-aa75-1971876e7941">Re: Olympics!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, totally irrelevant, but the mascots are adorable.  And one of them is a Sasquatch.
    Posted by Brie2010[/QUOTE]

I swear to god, you can neither walk down a Toronto street, go into a store or turn on the tv without seeing the damn things ;)
  • Options
    I'm with Ringpop on this.  I was excited, now I'm just tired of all the Olympic advertising.  We get it.  The Olympics are in Canada this year.  No, that doesn't mean we're going to win more medals.  That might happen if you funded Olympic athletes more, but it's not going to happen because we have "home field advantage." 

Favorite sports:  Curling, skiing, figure skating, speed skating, and (fine) hockey.  I think Canada will be disappointed once again in curling - Britain is going to win for the men.  Murdoch is pretty strong right now.  I'm not sure how Cheryl Bernard will do for the women, but I'm not holding my breath.

I cheer for Canada.  Outside of that, the swiss are awesome and so is GB.  Oddly, I'll find myself cheering for the US even though I really don't care one way or the other if they win and I get tired of the rah rah America feel to the Olympics.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    I'm definitely excited about the Olympics!  I'm more a Summer Olympic person (I swam competitively), but I love to watch the skiers.

I met Bob Costas once.  He was incredibly nice.  His wife, on the other hand... oh god.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_olympics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:11782aae-fa2f-40c1-9dda-e3e211d71b8bPost:6c625917-8f1c-4f75-b8ba-abceefb2b24a">Re: Olympics!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Olympics! : I swear to god, you can neither walk down a Toronto street, go into a store or turn on the tv without seeing the damn things ;)

This.  Dear god, This.  It was awful when I was in Victoria. AWFUL.

PS.  P2 and I will probably be closer in proximity next week than ever before :)

• Options
    Haha, I'd be annoyed if I saw it all damn day, too.  I don't really feel bombarded with Olympics this year like I did with Beijing--it was only a few days ago when the Today show went to Vancouver when I was like, "oh, hey, that's coming up, sweet."

I am totally biased because my ridiculous pet name for FI is Sasquatch.  And its various derivatives.
    two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    There's even a "which mascot are you like?" quiz. http://www.vancouver2010.com/mascot/en/game_mascotquiz.php

I'm really tired of those Bay Olympic mittens that everyone, their mother-in-law, and their purse dog is wearing these days. Yes, we get it, you're proud.
  • Options
    Also, I am curious about curling now.  I don't think I've ever seen it on any of the major US Olympic broadcasts.  I get annoyed at the constant figure skating coverage, because I'm not a big fan.  I'd love to watch the more random sports from time to time.
    two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I don't get the rah rah rah over the mitts either. annoys the crap outta me. I mention I'm going to Winnipeg, and half the office says, "oh if you go to the bay get me those mits". Go fuckyourself. If you want red fucking mitts, go get them yourself. They don't even match the white and blue and green torch running uniforms.
  • Options
    Those mittens are the ugliest things I've ever seen, and they resemble oven mitts more than winter mittens. Canada won't ever top those Roots hats they had in... hm... Nagano? Salt Lake? I can't remember. I think Nagano.

And the commercials! Moose (and P2) do you get that Olympic commercial with that chick singing that godawful song that's on literally every commercial break and lasts like, two minutes? Gah it's irritating.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm a huge sports fiend and I LOVE the Olympics, but I don't need to be reminded that it's coming every time I open my eyes.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_olympics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:11782aae-fa2f-40c1-9dda-e3e211d71b8bPost:b2ffa91e-6f27-403a-80a7-49dbc2b00913">Re: Olympics!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Moose (and P2) do you get that Olympic commercial with that chick singing that godawful song that's on literally every commercial break and lasts like, two minutes? Gah it's irritating. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm a huge sports fiend and I LOVE the Olympics, but I don't need to be reminded that it's coming every time I open my eyes.

That "Believe" song, it's always on CTV?
    We get it, CTV. You got the Olympics. WE GET IT.
  • Options
    YES! That one. My god it's bad...
  • Options
    *waves from Vancouver*

it is starting to look pretty cool here.
    everyone is fairly jacked about the opening ceremonies.
    i'm letting everyone go early tomorrow so that we don't get stuck in all the traffic that will be going on in the afternoon.

the weather blows, and we're salvaging snow.. it's been clearing up in the afternoons however which has been nice.
  • Options
    wadingmoosewadingmoose member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2010
    I've seen that song once, Alix.  H looked at me and asked if I thought she was lip-syncing because the chick really singing it is too fat for Olympic committee :)

• Options
    *waves from Vancouver too*  It's raining and quite warm here, true.   They've been trucking snow to one of the mountains to make a ski course.  I was at Whistler a couple of weeks ago, and it was better there, but pretty foggy.

Crocuses are up, my tulip bulbs are blooming.  Ah, "winter" in Vancouver!

The torch is making it's way all over the city.  I was kind of burned out from all the hoopla, but I'm enjoying it now that things are actually underway.

Vancouver is a beautiful city!  Ordinarily I wouldn't recommend coming in February though...  :  )
  • Options
    we went hiking over on the shore a couple weekends ago and there were tons of pussywillows out.

it feels like it has cooled down a fair bit this week though, compared to last.  Might have to take the scarf out again. hehehe
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards