Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Please tell me this is good...

DH met with his boss today and asked him for a letter of rec. 

(For those who don't know, DH has been doing post doc research for 2 years and the time has come for him to look for a 'real' job, so his boss is there to help him out.)

Boss said that DH needs to write the letter about himself and also said that he was going to post DH's current job so that he can get a new post doc. 

That's good, right?  If he didn't think he'd get a job, he wouldn't tell him about posting his position, right?

Reassure me here, please.  :)
BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Please tell me this is good...

• Options
    Sounds like a good thing to me. He obviously has faithin your husband and feels he's ready.
  • Options
    It will probably take a while to fill, I guess, so maybe the boss is just getting prepared.

Yes its good if he is willing to sign whatever your H writes about himself.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_please-tell-this-good?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:11b61e22-ef92-4231-be28-57830e0ba496Post:e0e596d8-d2de-4c20-8f0b-9ac65a8fe82f">Please tell me this is good...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Boss said that DH needs to write the letter about himself and also said that he was going to post DH's current job so that he can get a new post doc.  
    Posted by sucrets4[/QUOTE]

<div>This concerns me a bit--not posting his position, but ask him to write the letter of rec himseld? That shitpisses me off. </div>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, it's a good thing! Doesn't sound like your H is leaving on bad terms or anything. Don't worry. (I'm also reassuring myself as FI is also in the process of finding a new job.)

P.S. Hi!
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    I hope something good comes of this.  Sounds reassuring. :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_please-tell-this-good?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:11b61e22-ef92-4231-be28-57830e0ba496Post:f0f26a51-7f4e-4d95-9ba3-581777a26e16">Re: Please tell me this is good...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Please tell me this is good... : This concerns me a bit--not posting his position, but ask him to write the letter of rec himseld? That shitpisses me off. 
    Posted by RachNRich[/QUOTE]

Yeah, B said he gives him a draft and he edits it from there.

Honestly, I think it'll be better because his boss is UBER busy and probably doesn't really realize the minutae that DH does on a daily basis.  His boss is pretty famous in his world and usually pulls in millions in grant money.

• Options
    Oh, I didn't notice the part about writing his own letter. It sucks when employers do that.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_please-tell-this-good?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:11b61e22-ef92-4231-be28-57830e0ba496Post:81315646-9289-49d9-aeb1-c6c3c4a660d1">Re: Please tell me this is good...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, it's a good thing! Doesn't sound like your H is leaving on bad terms or anything. Don't worry. (I'm also reassuring myself as FI is also in the process of finding a new job.) P.S. Hi!
    Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]

Hiya Lauren!

The reason I mentiond what he's doing now is because he's expected to leave after about 2 years, so it's not like he's screwing anyone over by leaving.

• Options

Sounds good to me. 

Want me to light a candle on Sunday?
  • Options
    oot - we would be honored if you thought of us.  Who knows, maybe we'll see ya in Boston!  I don't know if you read, but there are openings at Suffolk University and Worcester State.  My bro and sil live in Clinton, so it would be great if we could wind up around there!

Lauren - good luck to your FI as well!

• Options
    There's no chance he'd make B leave if he found someone before B found a new job, right?  As long as that's the case, sounds good.
  • Options
    I think it sounds like a good sign, I'll keep my fingers crossed!
  • Options
    I don't think so, Julez.  He has previously said that he can stay as long as he wants, but it's in B's best interest to get a 'real' job.  His boss told him just so that he wouldn't freak out, plus his boss lost another post doc a few months ago and he hasn't replaced him yet.

• Options
    Thanks, laine!

Oh, and Julez - I LOVE that you have a ticker for moving!  Yay!  How are things going with that?

• Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm starting to look for a postdoc right now.  I was told the process from looking to starting in the new lab takes a year on average.  It sounds like the PI in question has faith in your husband and thinks he will find a new position within a year.
  • Options
    Things are going good.  I go back and forth between being really excited and then being curled up in the corner worried about getting a job.  But, the good news is DH just got a freelance gig that will earn him enough that we'll almost be at the same point moneywise as we would have been if we'd stayed here and saved until August. 

Also, we booked a trip to Austin at the end of February and hoping to meet with some people for informational interviews then and find an apt!  I think I'm still a little disbelieving that we actually get to move in 2 months.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_please-tell-this-good?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:11b61e22-ef92-4231-be28-57830e0ba496Post:5b6965fc-fc55-4fae-8103-b63d8100c21a">Re: Please tell me this is good...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm starting to look for a postdoc right now.  I was told the process from looking to starting in the new lab takes a year on average.  It sounds like the PI in question has faith in your husband and thinks he will find a new position within a year.
    Posted by hoshiku[/QUOTE]

I don't know much about it, but I know DH met his current boss at a conference and he was basically offered a job then and there.  He then applied and came down here to interview, but I think it was pretty easy for him. 

What field are you in?

And thanks for the faith!  :)

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_please-tell-this-good?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:11b61e22-ef92-4231-be28-57830e0ba496Post:7b0b7f38-7b1d-4f23-8a0a-28430a253db5">Re: Please tell me this is good...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Things are going good.  I go back and forth between being really excited and then being curled up in the corner worried about getting a job.  But, the good news is DH just got a freelance gig that will earn him enough that we'll almost be at the same point moneywise as we would have been if we'd stayed here and saved until August.  Also, we booked a trip to Austin at the end of February and hoping to meet with some people for informational interviews then and find an apt!  I think I'm still a little disbelieving that we actually get to move in 2 months.
    Posted by julezlee[/QUOTE]

Yay for the job for H!

I would assume that the cost of living there is significantly less than NY, so if you had to use some savings, it would go further?

• Options
    Precisely.  Our rent will be less than a 1/3 of what it is here!  For a bigger place.  Plus everything else is cheaper out of NYC, as you know.  We've gotta buy two cars though (my dad's currently looking) so that's gonna take some money.  DH used to live in San Antonio and already has some of contacts for work down there who've said they'll throw him stuff once we're down there.  And the gig he just picked up here he could actually do down there as well.  He's such a good provider :)  Thank God since I have no idea what the hell I should be doing!
  • Options
    Julez - it honestly sounds like things are falling into place really well!  Yaaaay!

• Options
    Sucrets, it sounds like an okay situation to me too. Also, it seems as though people typically anticipate post-doc positions to start in the fall, or at least no earlier than June, to correlate with graduations, etc. So I think they'd have a hard time filling the position mid-year even if they did post it now.

Your H having to write his own letter is a PITA, but kind of a good thing. Sounds like his boss trusts him enough to sign off on anything wonderful thing he may write about himself. :)

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    Yeah, I feel like we're doing the right thing.  Thanks for asking!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_please-tell-this-good?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:11b61e22-ef92-4231-be28-57830e0ba496Post:1c8e167b-8e64-4d30-aff0-392faea29353">Re: Please tell me this is good...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sucrets, it sounds like an okay situation to me too. Also, it seems as though people typically anticipate post-doc positions to start in the fall, or at least no earlier than June, to correlate with graduations, etc. So I think they'd have a hard time filling the position mid-year even if they did post it now. Your H having to write his own letter is a PITA, but kind of a good thing. Sounds like his boss trusts him enough to sign off on anything wonderful thing he may write about himself. :)
    Posted by beatlesgirl25[/QUOTE]

Well, we're here through at least May/June...first it was my school year, now it's the baby.  I think he just gave B a heads up on posting is so that he wouldn't worry...I don't think he plans on hiring anyone for a few months.

I'm glad it seems to be as good as I'm thinking it is.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_please-tell-this-good?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:11b61e22-ef92-4231-be28-57830e0ba496Post:594e8d40-d8d2-4063-a406-a418ccb52dd3">Re: Please tell me this is good...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I feel like we're doing the right thing.  Thanks for asking!
    Posted by julezlee[/QUOTE]

Yay!  :)

I would love to put a moving ticker in my sig (once we know), but then I'd have TWO and that's just too much for me.

• Options
    I hope it continues to work out well. Whatever gets you to MA sooner... :)

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_please-tell-this-good?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:11b61e22-ef92-4231-be28-57830e0ba496Post:c13c5815-cff6-4e31-9d6a-362bc093da16">Re: Please tell me this is good...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hope it continues to work out well. Whatever gets you to MA sooner... :)
    Posted by beatlesgirl25[/QUOTE]

Oh god, IhopeIhopeIhopeIhope....*crosses fingers*

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards