Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Total AW for you

I have come to know, over many months, we have a brilliant group of knotties on here.

AW your intelligence. Anything goes. Really, I love you girls. Trivia, SATs whatevs.

Re: Total AW for you

• Options
    22 days until I'm sailing away on or cruise to the virgin islands for Christmas..
  • Options
    I'm giving up my PhD to move with FI (who will be my H in 3 months!!! SQUEE) to NC to follow his career. And I'm thrilled, and can't wait for NC GTG's!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    See now I feel dumb for not knowing what "trinia" is. I think I'm in the wrong post. Embarassed

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    Beatles - trivia. I am SMRT.

I am psyched about your decision Rach!! So exciting! You plan on continuing elsewhere?

Rox - I am going to FL and now you are making me all jealous :)
  • Options
    I play a shitton of instruments (flute, picc, alto flute, clar, all the saxes (alto the best), percussion - pitched) and am an amazing reed player because I'm really good at making the switches from instrument to instrument.  And I know how to fake the hard stuff, lol.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Seriously Sucrets?? That is the bomb. My dream is to either be able to sing or have a talent at an insturment. To have a talent at many is downright sick!!!
  • Options
    I completed my conservatory training in piano by 16. And I'm a wicked vocal sight reader because of the piano.

And I got my MBA by 26.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    I keep getting emails from all sorts of random grad school programs because I somehow managed to score a 770 on the GMAT while hungover and without having studied much.
  • Options
    Nicely done kati! I think that was my score too (though I did spend a lot of time studying), and the testing centre guy's eyes just about bugged out when he saw it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
  • Options
    Oops meaghan, I really thought I was missing something, haha! Well, we both feel SMRT then. :)

Rach, I totally thought you were kidding (the way you said all that). I missed the story, but you sound really happy about it. I have the same questions as M&M: how close are you to finishing? Can you transfer elsewhere in the future if you want? I think that's really selfless of you. :)

Sucrets is a one woman show! I can only play piano, but I can also play it upside down.

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    Oh, my standardized test scores!

3rd in my class
    29 on my ACT (97th percentile for that testing date...yes I still have the file.)
    164 on my LSAT (91st percentile)

And I feel about 50% super proud, and 50% like I am a huge loser for never utilizing my academic skills. My LSAT score expires in 3 days on December 4th.  I couldn't pull the trigger for law school. My work ethic is horrible, and I am easily overwhelmed.  But I am not supposed to talk about that in this post:)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I can also play piano, but not too well.  My brain and fingers don't work too well vertically, but they're pretty good horizontally.

Many of the reed instruments are basically the same...for instance, the fingering (teehee) of sax and flute and the upper register of the clar are very similar.

Okay, I need to get to bed.  I'll read about all you braggarts tomorrow.  Smile
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I, too, am very impressed by all the brilliant and witty knotties on here.

I am envious of the musical talent.  I am tone deaf.  But I will play the piano one day.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had a 4.0 in my major and got into/went Yale grad so yeahhhhhhhhh.

But I have to be honest, the most smart I have ever felt if doing well at my job and making people really happy about their special parties in their lives. That counts for more than anything in my book.

Ring you are ridiculous in the best possible way and Sascha, don't feel bad, you are still the bomb :)

• Options
    I like this thread.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
  • Options
    And thank you Meaghan!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
  • Options
    Sascha, the great thing is that intelligence is pretty much stable, so it's not like you lucked out on your standardized tests and will never get that back. If you ever decided to try school again someday, you totally could. You will be a smarty-pants for the rest of your life.

Meaghan, what do you do for your job? Also, Yale, wow... if you were a boy, my mom would have wanted me to marry you. :)

It's hard for me to brag about smarts, because I often feel like I miss things that my peers just "get." But I have excelled at my chosen specialty of behavioral health, which is behavioral medicine techniques like hypnosis, biofeedback, and relaxation training for anxiety disorders and trauma. It's really hands on and teachable, and concrete things come easier to me. I love it. I have actually had clients get better, and that is the most awesome feeling in the world.

• Options
    Wow Meaghan....my girl crush just got stronger...Yale...sigh.

I always wished I would have applied to Ivy League just to see if I would have gotten in.  Out of state was too difficult being a young mom, but I always wanted to know IF I would have been accepted.

I am proud of my U of Michigan degree though:)  I loved school.  I mean, LOVED, it.  I miss going to class and tests.  I wish I could just be an eternal student, but I can't handle not making money.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    hmmm...I got a 31 on my ACT. I didn't take the SAT because most colleges around here don't require it.  I graduated Cum Laude with honors (I was like freaking .10 points away from Magna Cum Laude...I was robbed!)  I got my college 100% paid for due to academic scholarships.  That's about all I've got.
  • Options
    Bealtes and Sashca, I promise it was not that glamarous. I went to the Divinity School, but for a public ethic degree (basically I wanted to do a lot of non profit fundraising). Think a lot of religion and kumbaya and socia justicel ethics (awesome but not totally relatable to real life). I mean, who are we kidding Yale is glamarous, free booze  everywhere and I personally met Mia Farrow, Steven Speilberg, Harrison Ford, Danzel Washington, John Grisham, Sophia Coppola and a million supreme court justices/amazing lawyers and Paul McCartney spoke at my graduation. However, it was a lot more low key than you would think.

Now I am an event planner at a country club here in CT. Very fun. I love it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_total-aw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1223e7b8-6399-4c31-b09a-694fd099111dPost:c7491688-bae5-4352-b1f1-ed3daa161544">Re: Total AW for you</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bealtes and Sashca, I promise it was not that glamarous. I went to the Divinity School, but for a public ethic degree (basically I wanted to do a lot of non profit fundraising). Think a lot of religion and kumbaya and socia justicel ethics (awesome but not totally relatable to real life). I mean, who are we kidding Yale is glamarous, free booze  everywhere and I personally met Mia Farrow, Steven Speilberg, Harrison Ford, Danzel Washington, John Grisham, Sophia Coppola and a million supreme court justices/amazing lawyers and <strong>Paul McCartney spoke at my graduation.</strong> However, it was a lot more low key than you would think. Now I am an event planner at a country club here in CT. Very fun. I love it.
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

Eek! I am jealous of your graduation. You're funny, in trying to downplay your Yale degree, it still sounds totally glam and amazing. ;) Just accept it. Plus, with all that celebrity exposure, it's almost like you were being prepped for a career in entertainment after all. Your job sounds really fun.

• Options
    ok ok, it was honestly a great life experience. Just not what you think when old men sit around and go, "so you're a yale man" blah blah blah.

Oh, and I totally won the medusa medal at my eleventh grade latin exam. HAWT.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Haha, I don't think anyone could confuse you with a stuffy old member of the ol' boys club. You probably don't even have a smoking jacket.

We should have a virtual (P&)E trophy room, so we can revisit our awesome accomplishments on bad self-esteem days, which seem to occur here like the flu... everyone feels crappy.

• Options
    Beatles...I think feeling like you are making a difference is definitely the best feeling:)  Book smarts do not always translate well in real life, and having real life skills that you are proud of in such a specialized and important field are awesome.

Meaghan...that sounds ridiculously fun. Both your job and your college years.  I was once told I would do well in that field in an aptitude test actually.

Even though I feel I lack in the work ethic and stress handling areas, I do feel like I have great skills in problem solving, diplomacy, and working well with the public, and making customers and clients happy:)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I feel like I AW myself all the time without meaning too. :-/

BUT the thing I'm most recently proud of is that I got a perfect score on the writing portion of the GRE last August.

I too am jealous of this musical talent. I quit both flute and piano at age 12. My mom was really upset about the piano thing. My grandmother was a very good pianist and originally majored in piano performance in college. We inherited her baby grand piano. I can still sort of read music, I've just lost most of the ability to play.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Thanks Sascha! And I think that recognizing your strengths and being confident is a true asset. That, coupled with your hotness, makes me wonder how any clients resist your skillz. ;) Btw, it was funny to read your declaration of strengths and then... "I pee when I am scared." Ever humble. Laughing

With that, I am off. Good night ladies! Thanks for the AW/kittens and cotton candy thread Meaghan! I always enjoy learning more about you guys.

• Options
    Aw shucks, thanks:) 

As for the pee...I love to admit my weaknesses as well:) 

I'm off too...movie time!  Fun thread meaghan!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Wow ladies! Everyone is so accomplished! I love it!

Hmmm...what've I got...

Stupid talent--I'll kick anyone's ass at TV trivia games, like SceneIt. I can name TV show theme songs in less than 3 seconds most of the time. It's a great party trick.

I'm very word-oriented. I'm pretty good at word games. I got a 30 on the writing portion of my ACTs. I've written a screenplay and will soon write another that I actually hope to do something with.

My best talent, though, is art. I'm pretty good at drawing--not so much from memory, but I can draw anything I'm looking at. I wanted to go to art school but practical life got in the way and I figured nobody was going to pay me to draw pictures, so I became a nurse instead! I draw portraits of my babies sometimes for the parents. =) I did get my graphic design degree so that's hopefully gonna serve me well in the future.

I think that's about it! =)
  • Options

I'm talented but also more modest than the rest of you biznitches! 

• Options
    edited December 2009

(and also good at Australian humour that most of you don't tend to get, so I guess I should make it clear that the above was a joke by gloating about the fact that I'm doing a PhD (although honestly, anyone can do a PhD (well, anyone who has the ability to write well and has sound comprehension abilities), it's really not as amazing an achievement as it sounds- the hardest part is having the motivation to finish the goddamn thing)).

I'm also really good at incorporating multiple open brackets into my posts. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards