Wedding Etiquette Forum

Thank you gift for throwing shower?

I am having my bridal shower in a couple weeks and I just realized that I don't know if there is any proper etiquette for saying thank you for the people throwing it.

Do I give them a gift?  Just a thank you in front of everyone to them? 

Thanks for the help, I want them to know I appreciate it and don't want to do something wrong and offend anyone
Anniversary

Re: Thank you gift for throwing shower?

• I'd give a gift.  Maybe a bottle of wine?  Have flowers delivered?  One poster put together a "breakfast in a basket" with fresh bread and jams and that sort of thing.  I thought that was cute.
  • I got my FMIL and FSIL a gift and they thought it was REALLY weird that I did that.  I just got them fancy fragrance diffusers (mosiac glass bottles with dried/preserved flowers). 
  • I gave my shower hostesses bath gel of Philosophy's scent called With Gratitude, and gave them a little card saying something like, Here's a Little Something To Make Your Next Shower as Lovely as Mine Was
  • That's cute, Melli!
  • I think it is always proper to bring a "hostess gift." It doesn't need to be something big. Popular gifts in my circle are the monogrammed throw-away cocktail napkins and monogrammed styrofoam cups in cellophane with a pretty ribbon and bow.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_thank-you-gift-for-throwing-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:168b2ec8-dcc8-43f1-a6cf-0323e322879aPost:01c21b5b-6bc9-4275-b399-5c8085444d9a">Re: Thank you gift for throwing shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I gave my shower hostesses bath gel of Philosophy's scent called With Gratitude, and gave them a little card saying something like, Here's a Little Something To Make Your Next Shower as Lovely as Mine Was
    Posted by mellimel19[/QUOTE]

That is a great idea.

I gave my aunt a gift card to Amazon, since she's addicted to shopping there.  I actually sent it to her right after the shower, because I'm retarded and a hostess gift slipped my mind.  Luckily, she overlooked that and liked the gift.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • kfraskfras member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    What is a "Hostess gift" ? Like you bring it with you when you go to the shower? My shower will be a surprise, so I am not sure how I would be able to make sure I have gifts for my bridesmaids with me. In my family, I have never received a gift for hosting a shower. With the exception of my cousin's baby shower, when my aunt gave me a gift card in a thank you note, because she was the official host but I had done so much to help her plan it that she wanted to thank me.

Mellimel, I LOVE your idea.. that is the cutest thing ever. I will have to do that for mine. How did you deliver the gift? Did you give it to them in person? At the shower (like I said, I don't know how I would guarantee I'd have the gifts on me)? Since I have never received a gift for hosting, I usually just get a thank you note, thank you for the gift and for hosting the shower. Maybe with the gifts at the rehearsal dinner? Or should you keep them separated? My BMs and mom will be hosting, so it's a little different if someone like an aunt or FMIL is hosting and you want to give them a thank you gift. I will have all my BMs at rehearsal, so maybe then... 

Would it be too weird to mail it to them in a box when you are mailing out thank you cards?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    I've hosted a couple showers, the one I hosted for my cousin's wife, she gave me a box of Godiva chocolates.  I liked it a lot, it wasn't something I was going to purchase, but I do love candy.  The other two I didn't receive anything, one was a surprise though.

Kfras- keep thank yous for the shower separate from the rehearsal.  You can either mail them/give them to them after your shower, or go ahead and get them now, put them in a box, and let your mother know you want that at the shower, how much you tell her is up to you. Typically I wouldn't give it to a host to have it there, but I feel like your mother is okay.  But I would also tell my mother what it was and what it was for.
  • kfraskfras member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Maybe I can do just that. Put them in a box and tell her whenever they do have my shower, just make sure that she brings the box. Although I feel like I would want to include a heartfelt note with the gift, and that I should save it for after the shower. I'd like to point out something specific I loved about the shower and how much I appreciated what they did. So maybe I'll just wait then.. haha ahhh I don't know. Too much to think about!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I gave each hostess a little something--for instance, for my work shower, the two co-workers who threw it, I gave them each a neat plant for their desk at work along with a TY note. I would not give it to them in front of everyone else. You could get there early and hand it to them before guests arrive or give it after the fact (I gave the plants to my co-workers when I saw them that Monday at work).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • I gave each hostess a little something--for instance, for my work shower, the two co-workers who threw it, I gave them each a neat plant for their desk at work along with a TY note. I would not give it to them in front of everyone else. You could get there early and hand it to them before guests arrive or give it after the fact (I gave the plants to my co-workers when I saw them that Monday at work).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards