Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Coworkers

I work for a small business with only 18 employees.  We only had around 10 when i first started around a year ago and have grown a bit since then.  My question is, since its such a small company, if i invite people from work, do i have to invite everyone?  There is a group of about 8 that i would like to invite.  I really can't afford to invite everyone and let them have a guest since that would add about 36 people to my guest list.  Would it be rude to just invite them and not let them bring their SO? 
Wedding Countdown TickerLilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: Coworkers

• Options
    JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_coworkers-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:19ff21c9-02dd-4bd6-b709-3f376ba55496Post:8dce94f3-c7d8-4ad5-b16b-fb8dcca90ac7">Coworkers</a>:
    [QUOTE]I work for a small business with only 18 employees.  We only had around 10 when i first started around a year ago and have grown a bit since then.  My question is, since its such a small company, if i invite people from work, do i have to invite everyone?  There is a group of about 8 that i would like to invite.  I really can't afford to invite everyone and let them have a guest since that would add about 36 people to my guest list.  <strong>Would it be rude to just invite them and not let them bring their SO? </strong>
    Posted by sarahaleen[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Yes, all SOs need to be invited.</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: I invited two coworkers (with their SOs) that I socialize outside of work with.  We didn't feel obligated to invite everyone in our work groups because that would've sent the guest list in overdrive!  I also kept wedding talk at work nonexistant as much as I could.

</div>
  • Options
    This is a sticky one... I work in a similarly sized agency (16).  I've decided to take the lead of a coworker who got married 3 years ago and only invite the women in the office (and their significant others).  The men in the office could care less about the wedding, one of which being my supervisor, but the ladies are always talking about it.  In general, I'm not giving +1s to my wedding guests who are not in a relationship so that applies to one of my coworkers...  
  • Options
    It's not necessary to invite the whole office, but you need to invite any SOs. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    You should not break up social units.

Consider an all or none strategy if you feel that some may be offended if they were excluded or if they would make your worklife more difficult.  Stop all talk of the wedding at work.  

Keeping it out of sight, out of mind may help if you choose not to invite.  

As someone who wanted no one from the office that I worked in most of my engagement, at our wedding, I barely talked about the wedding and provided minimal information when asked.  
  • Options
    You can't leave out SOs but you don't have to invite the whole office.

That said, if you don't invite the whole office, don't discuss the wedding at work or work-related functions.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I'm only inviting the 3 girls and SOs that I actually deal with outside of work.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards