Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Question for those who get migraine headaches

To those of you who suffer from migraines: have you ever experienced numbness of parts of your body in the lead-up to a migraine?

Re: Question for those who get migraine headaches

• Options
    Yes. Generally in fingers or toes... it doesn't last long but apparently is a common symptom of migraine and cluster tension headaches.

Why?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yes, very common. I have epilepsy and my migraines follow my seizures accompanied by numb limbs.
  • Options
    Personally, no - but my coworker who gets migraines says this has happened to her.
  • Options
    Alix and Sarah, do you ever experience the numbness without an eventuating serious migraine?
  • Options
    Yeah it's not unusual. I generally only get it in my fingers/toes and it's accompanied by partial loss of my periphals and general vision fuzziness as well as nausea and on occasion, nosebleeds.
  • Options
    i dont think so...but i definitely get an "aura" and know its coming....i usually get tunnel-vision beforehand, which is weird....

as an aside, i hardly ever get them anymore after switching birth control pills....
    226 Invitedimage 153 Are Ready to Partyimage 68 Are Washing Their Hairimage 5 Better Not Make Me Hunt Them Downimage RSVP Date: June 15
    July 10, 2010
    imageimage
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    On occasion, but that may stem from me being anaemic Tongue out
  • Options
    Yep.
    Face and hands mainly but also one side of the body numbness. I actually thought that I was having a stroke the first time I had that!
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    When I do experience visual disturbances, it's usually a flashing light which begins in the center of my vision and gradually moves to the side. If a major headache does eventuate, I usually end up throwing up and huddling in a dark corner, willing myself not to cut off my head. Thankfully, that didn't happen, but I'm gathering that this probably was related. I'm glad I'm not the only one- for a minute there I was like, my god, am I having a stroke or something? It was really bizarre.

H was a sweetheart and as soon as I called him and said I wasn't feeling well- before I could even tell him what was wrong- he was calling a cab to get here (our car was parked here at my work).

I've never heard of nosebleeds with migraines. That would be rather distressing, I'd imagine!
  • Options
    I usually do no get them unless I seizure so, no. I have had experiences similar to what you described but mine are classified as incomplete seizures.

Alix, I am also anemic and I occassionally experience numbness in my toes and fingers, especially if I am standing for lon periods of time.
  • Options
    Oh yeah. It's actually apparently a common symptom, I know a few people who get them. First time it happened to me I thought I was having an aneurism or something, I was terrified but after checking with my doctor once it had subsided it's apparently not unusual.
  • Options
    FI gets horrible migraines, he gets violently sick, shaking and vomitng.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_question-those-migraine-headaches?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1b6b6944-a53f-4599-bf9c-c8012be4a16cPost:20d41b14-f6cd-4d43-9cf4-be8261d2c386">Re: Question for those who get migraine headaches</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yep. Face and hands mainly but also one side of the body numbness. I actually thought that I was having a stroke the first time I had that!
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I experienced yesterday. I seriously thought that perhaps I was going to have a stroke or something, it was rather scary!

Ok, so I am feeling more relieved now and less like an idiot for not presenting at A&E as soon as that happened. When I first looked online, everything was saying that it was a stroke symptom, and H was asking me if I wanted him to take me to the hospital. I didn't really like the idea of waiting around for hours in a bright room whilst feeling dizzy and sick, only to likely be told to go home and monitor the situation. I'll talk to the doctor today, but it sounds pretty typical of a migraine given that others have experienced the same thing.
  • Options

Migraines are usually the result of pain/abnormalities elsewhere in the body so it wouldn't hurt to get it checked out.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_question-those-migraine-headaches?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1b6b6944-a53f-4599-bf9c-c8012be4a16cPost:632be334-49ff-4663-94d1-d9dca53e44ee">Re: Question for those who get migraine headaches</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI gets horrible migraines, he gets violently sick, shaking and vomitng.
    Posted by SarahnVinny[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm like when the headache does eventuate (which it always used to, but only recently have I experienced the aura with only a vague headache rather than a serious one). I end up rocking back and forth like a child with autism- I'm not sure if that actually helps at all or not, although at the time it feels better than laying still with my head throbbing. I always throw up and feel better for a few minutes before getting it all back again. If I can get to sleep between throwing up and it coming back, it dulls the headache... thus, I tend to try and sleep as soon as I experience the aura now, even if I do feel sick, to try and prevent a full-blown headache.

The annoying thing for me with migraines is that people presume it's 'just a headache' and don't get how severe they can be.
  • Options
    The second fi gets the "aurora" he goes straight to bed. He has spent as many as 3 days straight in bed because of them. He says they are crippling. He curls up in a ball and rocks himself to sleep.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_question-those-migraine-headaches?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1b6b6944-a53f-4599-bf9c-c8012be4a16cPost:e6206075-ab43-4a48-a1f8-128079161423">Re: Question for those who get migraine headaches</a>:
    [QUOTE]The annoying thing for me with migraines is that people presume it's 'just a headache' and don't get how severe they can be.
    Posted by thesuninherhead[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It makes me so angry. It is not <em>just </em>a headache. It's like... a whole body ache with a huge amount of severity in the head and neck. Jerkasauruses.
  • Options
    My little sister also gets migraines with extreme light and sound sensitivity. After her mri, we found out it was because her lower jaw is not connected to her upper.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_question-those-migraine-headaches?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1b6b6944-a53f-4599-bf9c-c8012be4a16cPost:4787d36b-b269-4f1e-9b02-4ad4ef396d60">Re: Question for those who get migraine headaches</a>:
    [QUOTE]My little sister also gets migraines with extreme light and sound sensitivity. After her mri, we found out it was because her lower jaw is not connected to her upper.
    Posted by SarahnVinny[/QUOTE]

I have TMJ on my right joint from falling on my face when I was three (I was holding a present to take to my newborn brother in the hospital and decided to save it rather than myself so I smacked into a curb with my chin) and it's apparently a major contributer to my migraines so I can totally sympathise with that.
  • Options
    * that would be my left joint. I have no sense of direction...
  • Options
    Alix, ouch! We were pretty surprised to learn she was getting headaches because of a problem in her jaw. Like I said migraines are usually the result of problems elsewhere in the body. I am glad I do not get them often.
  • Options
    Not numbness, usually, but I do get tingling in my hands and arms sometimes.  I don't always get a migraine after--but it usually comes with an aura and other symptoms too so I take my medication right away and go lay down if I can, and sometimes that keeps me from getting them.  So I wouldn't know if I was going to get the full blown migraine or not.

I also have a lot of anger towards people who think "it's just a headache." 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_question-those-migraine-headaches?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1b6b6944-a53f-4599-bf9c-c8012be4a16cPost:a690f4dd-0d4f-4ae5-8fb5-bcf5f11d8cc2">Re: Question for those who get migraine headaches</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also have a lot of anger towards people who think "it's just a headache." 
    Posted by JK10910[/QUOTE]

OMG THIS.  Or when people offer Tylenol.  Seriously?  Might as well offer me an M&M for the amount of good a Tylenol will do.
    226 Invitedimage 153 Are Ready to Partyimage 68 Are Washing Their Hairimage 5 Better Not Make Me Hunt Them Downimage RSVP Date: June 15
    July 10, 2010
    imageimage
    Planning Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards