Wedding Etiquette Forum

I can't believe my mother said this to me [vent]

My aunts asked me for a shower guest list, which I was reviewing with my mother beforehand because there were a few people in question, such as some of her friends that have known me for a long time. My mom asked if other people their age (which is her age, basically) would be there, so that they wouldn't feel out of place. I told her that a lot of people invited would be of similar age, including lots of aunts and uncles (it's a co-ed shower), my BM's parents, and some other family friends.

Then she goes on to say that older (read: more financially established) guests would be more likely to "shower" FI and me with gifts than would my friends who are on grad-school budgets -- implying that yes, I should go ahead and invite the older crowd, which I had intended to do anyway. This statement kind of rubbed me the wrong way, but I let it go because I understood what she meant.

THEN she says, "But I guess it would still be nice to invite your friends too, just like you're inviting them to the wedding even though they probably can't afford to bring much of a gift." I was floored. I really got the sense that she believed that only people who we presume can bring extravagent gifts should be invited to anything wedding-related, including the wedding itself.

I had to bite my tongue to not completely go off on the woman over the phone, and just dropped it, saying, "Yes Mom, of course FI and I are inviting OUR friends to OUR wedding. Have a nice evening and say 'hi' to Dad for me."
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I can't believe my mother said this to me [vent]

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cant-believe-mother-said-this-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bc69340-96b7-4378-8215-78c04b616df7Post:d143c573-83d3-4e06-b044-f3cbedc08ede">I can't believe my mother said this to me [vent]</a>:
    [QUOTE]My aunts asked me for a shower guest list, which I was reviewing with my mother beforehand because there were a few people in question, such as some of her friends that have known me for a long time. My mom asked if other people their age (which is her age, basically) would be there, so that they wouldn't feel out of place. I told her that a lot of people invited would be of similar age, including lots of aunts and uncles (it's a co-ed shower), my BM's parents, and some other family friends. Then she goes on to say that <strong>older (read: more financially established) guests would be more likely to "shower" FI and me</strong> with gifts than would my friends who are on grad-school budgets -- implying that yes, I should go ahead and invite the older crowd, which I had intended to do anyway. This statement kind of rubbed me the wrong way, but I let it go because I understood what she meant. THEN she says, "But I guess it would still be nice to invite your friends too, just like you're inviting them to the wedding even though they probably can't afford to bring much of a gift." I was floored. I really got the sense that she believed that only people who we presume can bring extravagent gifts should be invited to anything wedding-related, including the wedding itself. I had to bite my tongue to not completely go off on the woman over the phone, and just dropped it, saying, "Yes Mom, of course FI and I are inviting OUR friends to OUR wedding. Have a nice evening and say 'hi' to Dad for me."
    Posted by Mark&Steph[/QUOTE]

Yep. Had the same exact conversation with my mother early in the planning. She said the EXACT SAME THING your mother said.  As in, my friends can afford to give us the pillowcases, but her older relatives and friends can afford to outfit our apartment.  I dropped it the first time, and the second time, but by the third, I had to say something.   I just said (and tried not to snap) something along the lines of "my wedding and any events associated with it are for myself and my FI to build memories and celebrate our love and commitment to each other.  If we needed to have a fundraiser, we certainly wouldn't be having a wedding". 

She has since dropped the "issue". 
  • Is your mom usually like that or did her comments surprise you?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cant-believe-mother-said-this-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bc69340-96b7-4378-8215-78c04b616df7Post:6146c4a5-8608-4136-84f4-f085f7663e38">Re: I can't believe my mother said this to me [vent]</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is your mom usually like that or did her comments surprise you?
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]
    She's usually pretty by-the-book when it comes to etiquette, but we definitely don't see eye to eye on a lot of issues. This is about 6 months into wedding planning (5 months to go), and I'm learning very quickly that she is much more traditional than I am. I wondered if this stemmed from the whole, "Cover the cost of your plate at the wedding" notion of former years.<div>
    </div><div>It surprised me at the time, but really it's not that shocking. She just has no filter sometimes, and no forethought as to how her comments come across sometimes.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My mom told me I'd look better in my wedding dress if I lost five or so pounds.

So yeah, I can't be too surprised at what moms will say sometimes :)
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cant-believe-mother-said-this-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bc69340-96b7-4378-8215-78c04b616df7Post:1339fddf-1877-4f22-9159-3b00ee8dd169">Re: I can't believe my mother said this to me [vent]</a>:
    [QUOTE]My mom told me I'd look better in my wedding dress if I lost five or so pounds. So yeah, I can't be too surprised at what moms will say sometimes :)
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Oh dear. No one, especially a mom, should ever say that to anyone.

Given that my mom told me I'd look better if I dropped 20 lbs, I feel your pain.  I'm learning very quickly that my mom is the mother of the bride that movies are made about.  It's not funny going through it, though maybe I can sell the rights and make others laugh.
  • When I told my Priest I was inviting the entire parish to the wedding, he made a comment about asking everyone to take out their checkbooks. I was hurt for a few days, because I see my whole wedding as a gift to my parish (which has had 2 prior weddings in 7 years and has few "young people"). It's not about the gifts; it's about wanting to celebrate with everyone. Also, only inviting those members "I'm close to" would get awkward (and got awkward at the last wedding), as it'd be more than half the regular attendees. How to explain to others they're not invited?

Which is to say, with invitations like with registries, you can be damned if you do, damned if you don't. Invite too many "young people," and you appear to only be interested in having fun with your friends, not in honoring family and the older generations that "brought you to this stage." Invite too many of the older generations, and you can look greedy. So, follow your conscience and your heart, because the only person who can be 100% satisfied with your decisions is yourself.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cant-believe-mother-said-this-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bc69340-96b7-4378-8215-78c04b616df7Post:48207c35-a3a7-4fe1-89a0-d28cf50e20d5">Re: I can't believe my mother said this to me [vent]</a>:
    [QUOTE]When I told my Priest I was inviting the entire parish to the wedding, he made a comment about asking everyone to take out their checkbooks. I was hurt for a few days, because I see my whole wedding as a gift to my parish (which has had 2 prior weddings in 7 years and has few "young people"). It's not about the gifts; it's about wanting to celebrate with everyone. <strong>Also, only inviting those members "I'm close to" would get awkward (and got awkward at the last wedding), as it'd be more than half the regular attendees. How to explain to others they're not invited? Which is to say, with invitations like with registries, you can be damned if you do, damned if you don't.</strong> Invite too many "young people," and you appear to only be interested in having fun with your friends, not in honoring family and the older generations that "brought you to this stage." Invite too many of the older generations, and you can look greedy. So, follow your conscience and your heart, because the only person who can be 100% satisfied with your decisions is yourself.
    Posted by ElisabethJoanne[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>About the bolded section:</div><div>"We couldn't invite everyone we would have liked to." Then, change the subject. End of story.</div><div>
    </div><div>Registry information should never be included with a wedding invitation. This sends the message that your guests are only wanted for what they will bring you (whether or not that is your intention). If someone wants to know where you are registered, they will figure it out.

</div>
    Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cant-believe-mother-said-this-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bc69340-96b7-4378-8215-78c04b616df7Post:1339fddf-1877-4f22-9159-3b00ee8dd169">Re: I can't believe my mother said this to me [vent]</a>:
    [QUOTE]My mom told me I'd look better in my wedding dress if I lost five or so pounds. So yeah, I can't be too surprised at what moms will say sometimes :)
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

I've been looking online at dresses, trying to get some ideas before I physically go shopping.  Mom said I should even be looking at dresses given the fact my FI and I had a tiff and a date has yet to be set!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cant-believe-mother-said-this-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bc69340-96b7-4378-8215-78c04b616df7Post:e9aaf7b1-dc07-4ae5-a6f9-8567985fae3c">Re: I can't believe my mother said this to me [vent]</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I can't believe my mother said this to me [vent] : About the bolded section: "We couldn't invite everyone we would have liked to." Then, change the subject. End of story.<strong> Registry information should never be included with a wedding invitation. This sends the message that your guests are only wanted for what they will bring you (whether or not that is your intention). If someone wants to know where you are registered, they will figure it out.
    </strong>Posted by emilykathleen511[/QUOTE]

I think you had a reading fail. Nowhere did she say she would include registry information. She was referencing how registry contents are so often judged. If you register for too many expensive things, people think you're greedy. If you register for too many cheap things, people think you think they're poor or are just asking for money.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cant-believe-mother-said-this-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bc69340-96b7-4378-8215-78c04b616df7Post:31fce296-a6da-45b9-b520-36a204eeced5">Re: I can't believe my mother said this to me [vent]</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I can't believe my mother said this to me [vent] : I think you had a reading fail. Nowhere did she say she would include registry information. She was referencing how registry contents are so often judged. If you register for too many expensive things, people think you're greedy. If you register for too many cheap things, people think you think they're poor or are just asking for money.
    Posted by specialk84[/QUOTE]

<div>Hmm. I think it could go either way. If that is what you meant, then sorry. </div>
    Anniversary
    White Knot
  • Thanks, specialk.

As for the suggested invitations fix, first, it's not true. Second, we're talking about a chatty group who sees each other every week. It's similar to the some-or-all coworker dilemmas on here regularly. Unfortunately, I can't expect those invited to keep quiet about it. (learned that with the other wedding) I doubt theknot would ever sanction inviting 15 out of 25 co-workers, which is the numbers we're talking about at church. Or maybe some WOULD say that's best, that the "extra" 10 would think I'm gift-grabby, but I'd say there's a 50-50 chance: gift-grabby or hurt feelings for being left out. I'd rather be over-inclusive when 1) It's a social invitation, and 2) Many other people the "extra" guests know will be invited.

I've been socially invited to actually [potentially] controversial events - potlucks to meet political candidates or initiative backers, religious-themed dinner parties. I've never been offended to receive a social invitation, but I have been hurt to not receive one. I think everyone has, even if the last time was an elementary school birthday party. Why are the rules different for weddings? Thus, my decision to err on the side of over-inclusive.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cant-believe-mother-said-this-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bc69340-96b7-4378-8215-78c04b616df7Post:ee4700e6-8153-4951-ade7-a606c6814ef2">Re: I can't believe my mother said this to me [vent]</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, specialk. As for the suggested invitations fix, first, it's not true. Second, we're talking about a chatty group who sees each other every week. It's similar to the some-or-all coworker dilemmas on here regularly. Unfortunately, I can't expect those invited to keep quiet about it. (learned that with the other wedding) I doubt theknot would ever sanction inviting 15 out of 25 co-workers, which is the numbers we're talking about at church. Or maybe some WOULD say that's best, that the "extra" 10 would think I'm gift-grabby, but I'd say there's a 50-50 chance: gift-grabby or hurt feelings for being left out. I'd rather be over-inclusive when 1) It's a social invitation, and 2) Many other people the "extra" guests know will be invited. I've been socially invited to actually [potentially] controversial events - potlucks to meet political candidates or initiative backers, religious-themed dinner parties. I've never been offended to receive a social invitation, but I have been hurt to not receive one. I think everyone has, even if the last time was an elementary school birthday party. Why are the rules different for weddings? Thus, my decision to err on the side of over-inclusive.
    Posted by ElisabethJoanne[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Well, of course you can invite them if you want to. I'm just saying that no one is "owed" an invitation to your wedding. It would be fine not to invite them as well.

</div>
    Anniversary
    White Knot
  • For the girls whose mothers were fussing about their weight:

My mom kindly told me she'd pay for me to have my teeth whitened. A nice gesture but I spent the rest of the evening wondering how yella they looked...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited January 2012
    When I didn't find a wedding dress on our first shopping excursion, my mom called me selfish and said that if I couldn't be bothered to show appropriate enthusiasm, I should just get married at City Hall, and that as my mother she is ENTITLED to pick out her daughter's wedding dress. (I politely declined to purchase any of the dresses we tried on because they weren't appropriate for my simple wedding. The consultants were nice and hard-working, and I didn't want to waste their time if I wasn't going to buy anything because I know they work on commission.)

Last night she told me that all of my not-married guests in couples count as single, because "they can meet someone they like better at the wedding and dump the other person." She then went on to say my cousin is single because my aunt hates her boyfriend, so he clearly doesn't count. WTF?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards