Wedding Etiquette Forum

Invited to their wedding...should I invite them to mine?

I have two co-workers, both of whom got married several years ago, and they both invited me to their wedding. One wedding I went to and the other I didn't. I see and talk to them everyday in the office. Is the proper thing to do, to invite them to my wedding? Having another 4 people (them and their spouses) at the wedding won't really make or break our budget so that's not an issue. Part of me would feel bad if I didn't invite them. What do y'all think?

Re: Invited to their wedding...should I invite them to mine?

• Weddings are not tit for tat, so only invite them if they are your friends and you want them there. If it is a small office and you think it might make things uncomfortable not to invite them, though, then I would err on the side of caution and invite them. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Weddings aren't tit for tat. If you'd like them so be there then invite them. Are you inviting any other coworkers to the wedding?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Ditto PP's. Weddings aren't tit for tat, but if it would possibly ease tensions in a small office and won't break the bank, I'd say invite them. However, if it's a large office and you're inviting only them, but not others in your "group", then I'd say invite them all or none.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I can't tell you what to do, but I personally would invite them. I know I am not required to, but I'd feel like I was basically sending them a message that our relationship is unequal (that they like me more than I like them). That could really cause some resentment, which could be uncomfortable in an office environment. 

I would only not invite them if I was having a very small wedding or if one of us changed departments and we didn't talk as much as we were at the time they held their wedding. 

• I was in this situation too.  My coworker got married last year and invited everyone in our department (8 people, so 16 including spouses).  I struggled with whether or not to invite everyone to my wedding but ultimately decided not to invite them.  I don't think you should feel obligated to invite someone just because they invited you to their wedding.  

But I will say that if you are inviting some people from work and not others (including the coworker who invited you), I would reevaluate.
  • ditto the tit for tat. invite those you want at your wedding, not because they invited you to theirs
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks Ladies! My department consists of 22 people. Aside from the 2 co-workers I was asking about, I am only inviting 7 other people from my department...the ones that I am close to and talk to the most. Most of those 7 people I also have friendships with outside of work.
    I will probably end up inviting them just so that I don't feel bad!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invited-to-their-weddingshould-i-invite-them-to-mine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1cd0861f-cf87-4d2d-b8ec-49be15ce2eb1Post:9436c38a-824c-438e-a96b-e3698e2f4377">Re: Invited to their wedding...should I invite them to mine?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks Ladies! My department consists of 22 people. Aside from the 2 co-workers I was asking about, I am only inviting 7 other people from my department...the ones that I am close to and talk to the most. Most of those 7 people I also have friendships with outside of work. I will probably end up inviting them just so that I don't feel bad!
    Posted by Accountant77[/QUOTE]

I was already on the side of inviting them, but this information makes me feel you should definitely invite them.
  • Just remember to also include their SOs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards