Wedding Etiquette Forum

Rec your knives

FI and I are going to register soon and I would really like to include a set of good quality knives. Even if no one ends up buying it for us, we'd still get the registry completion discount for up to a year.

What are you using? Do you recommend it or not? I'd like a set with a French knife as I use mine all the time but it's getting pretty old and it wasn't the greatest quality to begin with.
Anniversary

Re: Rec your knives

• I know you can't actually register for this, but I am in love with the Pampered Chef paring knife I got with the credit my aunt gave me. Love.

Other than that, H and I need a good set of steak knives so I will be stalking this post too.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rec-your-knives?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1e533eee-8575-4305-9381-1f92301bd596Post:2a6f2b88-64ad-4e01-80b0-382bb3f90152">Re: Rec your knives</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know you can't actually register for this, but I am in love with the Pampered Chef paring knife I got with the credit my aunt gave me. Love. <strong>Other than that, H and I need a good set of steak knives so I will be stalking this post too.
    </strong>Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]

Oh yes, this too. I'd like to include a set of steak knives if anyone has a recommendation for that as well!
    Anniversary
  • MyUserName1MyUserName1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2012
    I just use my bedazzled biiitch cutter for everything. Never needs sharpening.

ETA: Oh, and the Ikea stek knives are suprisingly good.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited June 2012
    i have Wustoff's - love the blades but they have a plastic handle.  they have a better set that has more solid handles.  id go for those.
  • My friend bought us a set of Wolfgang Puck knives and they are awesome. I use them almost everyday and they are still just as sharp as when I got them threeyears ago. I think she got them at Sam's Club but I am not sure where else they sell them where you can register. :/
  • We have a Farberware set. I know nothing about knives, but they were cheapish and I wasn't focused on having quality knives. They do the job; but I'm sure there's better out there.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We just got Henckels, and we love them so far!
  • Global Knives - hands down. They are excellent knives and they look awesome too!
  • Shun knives are the BOMB. We just got a set about six months ago. Before that we  had kind of a mish-mash. 

Cutco has amazing steak knives. Actually, all of their knives are good.
  • I love love love our Wustoff knives. They don't have plastic handles either.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Our knives are a Calphalon set.  They are the SHlT.
    panther
  • Thanks for everyone's input!
    Anniversary
  • I have henckel steak knives that were given to us for our wedding.  They got rust spots within 6 months.  So not impressed.  I have other henckel knives that I like, but I am seriously disappointed in the steak knives. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We use Chicago Cutlery too and Pampered Chef. But I had a dreaded PC shower, so I uh, got the $415 set for free.
  • JessAndTravJessAndTrav member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2012
    Well, I'm not the fanciest one on the board, because I just have a Cuisinart knife set, but I love them. I've been married 2.5 years and we got them a few months before the wedding, so I guess I've had them almost 3 years and they're still as sharp as they were when we got them. I used them pretty regularly, and I've been very satisfied.

I will say, I don't know if it makes a difference in anything, but I handwash them. That's what the people told us to do at BB&B. 

ETA:
  • I have a kitchenaid block set and I adore it.
  • We have Shun knives and LOVE them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I know you wouldn't be able to register for these, but I have this knife block (clicky) from Cutco. My brother got it for H and I as a wedding gift, and we both effing love it.
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    The biggest thing you can do is handwash your knives and make sure to sharpen them on a regular basis.  FI and I have the same knife set, FI has always handwashed and regularly sharpened his knives, while I run mine through the dishwasher and rarely sharpen them.  His are really nice, mine are terrible and at this point, there isn't a way to fix them.  Otherwise, go and see how the knife fits in your hand.
  • I think it's important you hold some in the store, because you want something that feels good in your hand.

We have a small Wusthof set from Crate & Barrel and I totally love them. It's the Ikon line.
    http://www.crateandbarrel.com/kitchen-and-food/knife-sets/wusthof-ikon-r4294949359

• We have Zwilling JA Henkels and love them.
  • I have the J Henckels Professional line. I love them!  My mother has had the same brand for over 25 years as well and are still great!  I would recommend registering for an open stock of knives, so that way you can register for only the knives you will need, you can also register for an empty knife block.  If you do register for a block set, you could have knives in there that you will never use.

I also bought the Henckels steak knives and they have been great so far as well.
  • If the block is expensive I'd recommend registering for a chefs knife, bread knife and a few paring knives.
  • I forgot who ours are by but I love our non serated steak knives.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I second the Cutco knives and steak knives.  They are great, have a lifetime warranty if they ever break and you can get them sharpened for free.

You can set up a registry for them on the Cutco site.  DD did this and got several of them, and I've been using ut as a Christmas/Birthday list for the ones she didn't get.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rec-your-knives?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1e533eee-8575-4305-9381-1f92301bd596Post:d6a2e204-80e5-41cb-b54a-b9c0117fb6ca">Re: Rec your knives</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our knives are a Calphalon set.  They are the SHlT.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto this! I love our Calphalon Katana knives, they are awesome. Plus Caphalon's customer service is great - if anything goes wrong with any of their products, they replace them (we had a rivet come loose on one of our pans and they replaced it no questions asked!). I also have a lot of couples who really like the J.A. Henkles knives, and we sell a lot of them so people must like them. :)</div><div>
    </div><div>Also, ditto to the poster who said to pick up the knives and feel them in your hand. Other than the quality of the steel, this is the most important part about a knife (same thing with silverware too).</div>
  • hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    We registered for Calphalon Katana too - I think they made FI feel manly because he got this huge grin on his face when he held them for the first time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks everyone!
    Anniversary
  • I love love love my cutco knives. They have a nice heft to them and are easy to get replaced if you break them (my mom is so rough on hers and has replaced the small paring knife repeatedly!)
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rec-your-knives?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1e533eee-8575-4305-9381-1f92301bd596Post:7734c726-3a50-4136-978d-47af4aaaf7c9">Re: Rec your knives</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have Shun knives and LOVE them.
    Posted by gundy21[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This. They are the shiiiit. FI is big into cooking and he did a lot of research before buying a set. This was the set he went with, and then he got a few extra:  <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Shun-Classic-6-Piece-Knife-Bamboo/dp/B00022YJ6M/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1340836192&sr=8-10&keywords=shun+knives" rel="nofollow">http://www.amazon.com/Shun-Classic-6-Piece-Knife-Bamboo/dp/B00022YJ6M/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1340836192&sr=8-10&keywords=shun+knives</a> 

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards