Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

invite wording

These (link) are our wedding invites. We're doing a different color (blush), but those are them. 

I'm not sure I like the wording they've provided, though. "You are cordially invited to celebrate the wedding of" just doesn't excite me. Without completely redoing the formatting, does anyone have a better suggestion for that first line? 

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com

Re: invite wording

• Options
    First of all, those are so cute!
    Secondly, how about "The honor of your presence is requested/at the wedding of" or just cutting the "cordially" out of what you've already got (if you'd prefer less formal)? You could also do "Your presence is requested" without the "honor". Good luck!
    White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Genuine question, I thought honor was for religious ceremonies? Ours *might* be officiated by a rabbi, but will likely not be religious. 
  • Options
    For a non-religious ceremony, the proper wording is "the pleasure of your company."
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invite-wording-17?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:21f91fec-0206-464d-b827-c87201368077Post:8531fb52-3b96-41a1-914c-1b7e02c35934">Re: invite wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]"The pleasure of your company is requested at the marriage of"
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

<div>CMGr, I know I've seen you explain it before, but can you explain again the reasoning behind "marriage" vs "wedding" in this instance? Thanks!</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invite-wording-17?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:21f91fec-0206-464d-b827-c87201368077Post:f271a8a5-1cee-4bcb-a168-5a0ef752bcbc">Re: invite wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: invite wording : CMGr, I know I've seen you explain it before, but can you explain again the reasoning behind "marriage" vs "wedding" in this instance? Thanks!
    Posted by emeejeeayen[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm not CMGr, but I think that putting the word "marriage" in emphasizes that you are inviting your guests to the ceremony as the main point of the invitation-that it is to actually witness the occasion in which they become spouses as well as the celebration afterwards.

Reception-only invitations convey a different "feel" to the occasion that you're inviting guests to, shall we say, than ceremony-and-reception invitations.  (And of course, ceremony-only invitations are not acceptable per etiquette.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards