Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Need some advice: Should I really worry about this?

I'm beginning to piece together the seating arrangements for my october wedding. For both my FI and I, family is everything and we have made our siblings and our parents a large part of the planning process and the ceremony. Looking to the seating arrangements  for a small wedding of 60 people in a lodge style cabin ( a small thing, I know, but I'm still concerned) a question and a concern began to emerge... I'll explain.
My parents have been divorced for about 10 years. They still love each other, but their stubborness and passionate personalities combusted after nearly 20 years and 5 children. Today, they live about 5 minutes away from each other; they call each other every other day to "talk" and argue about the same silly little things. They had a fiery relationship and they have a fiery divorce and post-divorce. As hard as they try, they find it hard to act like "adults" around each other - either tempers are flying for no apparant reason (name cursing, bashing, literally fists are flying), or they're like the best of friends.
My father is bringing his girlfriend of about 2 years and my mother will undoubtable find herself a date in response. At our reception, I want both of my parents close by. I want them sitting near or with me. It's something that means the world to me. HOWEVER, I also want to a avoid that special kind of "awkward" situation that erupts whenever they are near each other and their NEW significant others - a situation that will be even more awkward since it will bring up both happy and unhappy memories of their wedding/marriage (an observation from my father after seeing the reception site). Should I even be concerned? Or should I try and figure out a way to have them separate but near me? (Not even sure how this would work...) Again, a silly question with an obvious answer, but at this point, I'd just appreciate some friendly advice. Thanks ladies!

Re: Need some advice: Should I really worry about this?

• Options
    I wouldnt worry too much about it. There is always a chance they can still interact even when seated seperately. Seat yourself near them and sit back and enjoy your day. If they start up, you can let them embarrass themselves. They're adults, they should be able to handle themselves. You shouldnt have to stress yourself out over it, hun! <3
  • Options
    I have round tables and I'm putting my parents at separate tables towards the front of the room, but I'll be putting FI's parents at the table between them. My parents also live 5 minutes away from each other, but haven't talked in 3 years. :-) With a small guest list, I don't think it's necessary to have them both near you. You'll probably be walking around and socializing most of the night.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    You could possible designate a couple of trusted friends - possibly your parents' age - to be on the alert and handle this, should they see spraks start to fly. Ask them to step in and defuse the situation - ask your mother to dance, take your dad to get some cake, or just step inbetween and remind them whose day it is.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_need-advice-should-really-worry-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:280ea3af-11f9-4c36-b446-353417e97a51Post:6c123672-e778-49e6-9e02-b54c85c9a277">Re: Need some advice: Should I really worry about this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have round tables and I'm putting my parents at separate tables towards the front of the room, but I'll be putting FI's parents at the table between them.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

This is my plan too.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_need-advice-should-really-worry-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:280ea3af-11f9-4c36-b446-353417e97a51Post:6c37b3b3-0838-4b4c-9386-d0308cfc64ff">Re: Need some advice: Should I really worry about this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You could possible designate a couple of trusted friends - possibly your parents' age - to be on the alert and handle this, should they see spraks start to fly. Ask them to step in and defuse the situation - ask your mother to dance, take your dad to get some cake, or just step inbetween and remind them whose day it is.
    Posted by ultravox[/QUOTE]

Hopefully your parents will act like the adults they are at your wedding, but if not, this is a great idea.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, my brother is also running interference.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards