Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

S/O "Kiss the Bride"

What not-so-patriarchy alternatives are there to "You may kiss the bride"? I've heard "You may seal this union with a kiss" but I'm not a fan. Anybody got anything better?

1st year anniversary in Victoria with a killer whale topiary!

Re: S/O "Kiss the Bride"

• Options
    "And now, as a gesture of your undying devotion, please seal  your union with a kiss"
  • Options
    RaiKaiRaiKai member
    First Comment
    edited December 2009
    As I stated in the other post, we are going with "Groom's Name and Bride's Name, you may now kiss each other".

We really made effort to remove patriarchal elements from the script.  FI even actually wanted it written so my name was said first throughout, or at we could least trade off, but for the sake of continuity we ended up just having his name first for things.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Our officiant will say "I now pronounce you husband and wife.  You may kiss each other!"
  • Options
    I now pronounce you husband and wife.  Please seal your promise with a kiss.
  • Options
    "Suck face."
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    Throw it in her cooter?
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_kiss-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2871ba19-2fe2-488c-bc00-5234c1e1b150Post:85132def-0d5d-4f68-900d-998c1e10c80e">Re: S/O "Kiss the Bride"</a>:
    [QUOTE]Throw it in her cooter?
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]

Hahaha.

Best reply to a question ever.
  • Options
    Oh, fische, I knew I could count on you. Anyway The Google found this:

http://servicesofdistinction.blogspot.com/2008/02/to-kiss-or-not-to-kiss.html

I especially like this one: "An ancient belief proclaims that when a couple in love kisses, a little bit of each other's soul is transported to abide in the other. At what better time than now to share your souls and a kiss." And each time you have sex, an angel gets its wings! Seriously, I had no idea Stephanie Meyer was writing wedding ceremonies.

1st year anniversary in Victoria with a killer whale topiary!
  • Options
    Kiss her.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    Niq, I threw up in my mouth.

What about: Now give it to her!  A pelvic thrust would  make it seem less patriarchal I think.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    I think I read it on here somewhere - we're going with "You may now high five the bride." Obviously not because I'm uptight about my lady equality, but because I'm uptight about kissing in public.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_kiss-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2871ba19-2fe2-488c-bc00-5234c1e1b150Post:9748f66c-0332-40cd-9190-ce70330590d8">Re: S/O "Kiss the Bride"</a>:
    [QUOTE]I especially like this one: " An ancient belief proclaims that when a couple in love kisses, a little bit of each other's soul is transported to abide in the other. At what better time than now to share your souls and a kiss." And each time you have sex, an angel gets its wings! <strong>Seriously, I had no idea Stephanie Meyer was writing wedding ceremonies</strong>.
    Posted by niq24601[/QUOTE]

bwaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaah!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Our pastor just said 'You may kiss".  Not very original, but instead of telling DH he could kiss me, it was more like we could kiss each other.  I didn't ever think about it before and didn't know what she actually said until I just looked at what she sent us after the wedding (everything she actually said during the ceremony).
  • Options
    Really?  People have issues with "you may now kiss the bride?"

Overreact much?

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    ... and yet we usually insist the boy ask the girl to marry him and not the other way around. I don't get why girls mind "You may kiss the/your bride" either. It's not like the officiant says "You may now smack her on the ass and tell her to scoot off to the kitchen and pour you a drink while she shits out a baby."
  • Options
    I would have minded it because of all the sexist connotations associated with it -- that he was now granted permission to kiss me. And me? Yeah, chopped liver cos I'm not part of that equation. At best, I could have accepted someone telling us that WE may kiss. But really, I don't need or want anyone's permission for that either.

DH and I had a self-uniting ceremony with no officiant so obviously no one told us anything. When I got married the first time, the ex- and I wrote our ceremony. Towards the end, the officiants explained the meaning of breaking the glass (a Jewish custom) and ended that section with "Afterwards, ten and ten'sex will seal their commmitment with a kiss."
  • Options
    I dunno, seems a stretch.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    "Now seal the deal so we can start the reception. Everyone here is ready to get sloshed"
    Naw, I really don't care how they "say" it. It just needs to sound natural with how the rest of the ceremony goes.
    Night swimming in the ocean= pretty sweet reception!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards