Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Invite my aunt's daughter?

My Uncle remarried a couple years ago.  He has two children of his own; him and his wife have two children together, and his wife has one daughter of her own.  The daughter will be 11 years old at the time of the wedding.  Am I supposed to invite her daughter? Would it be rude not to?

Re: Invite my aunt's daughter?

• Options
    Are you inviting their other children? Are you having an adult only wedding? If you're inviting all of them BUT the one daughter, yeah, I'd be rather insulted as your uncle/aunt. If you're only inviting the aunt/uncle and no children, then it's no big deal.
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Options
    Are you inviting other kids under 18, or their other children?  If so, leaving her out would be hurtful to your uncle and aunt, and I wouldn't advise it.
  • Options
    In general, when deciding which kids to invite and which not to invite, it is pretty hurtful to split up families.  I think you should invited the daughter with the rest of the kids.
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    Assuming you are inviting your cousins, I would absolutely include the daughter

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I assume the daughter lives with them?  If so, then most definitely you should invite her. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invite-my-aunts-daughter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:29b8e245-885c-4567-a8fa-36159204b4ebPost:9a344859-8a69-4d2b-99c5-af8a62476efb">Re: Invite my aunt's daughter?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In general, when deciding which kids to invite and which not to invite, it is pretty hurtful to split up families.  I think you should invited the daughter with the rest of the kids.
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

<div>This.  It's hard enough for some kids to grow up in blended families.  It isn't her fault.  Besides, girls that age tend to really like weddings.</div>
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invite-my-aunts-daughter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:29b8e245-885c-4567-a8fa-36159204b4ebPost:ca832006-f18f-4882-ab9d-0b22b7448646">Re: Invite my aunt's daughter?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Invite my aunt's daughter? : This.  It's hard enough for some kids to grow up in blended families.  It isn't her fault.  Besides, girls that age tend to really like weddings.
    Posted by NantucketBride12[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto Avion and Nantucket.  If you are inviting other children in the family, and especially the cousins, it would be absolutely cruel to exclude this child.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invite-my-aunts-daughter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:29b8e245-885c-4567-a8fa-36159204b4ebPost:a9b0aaaf-27dd-4c81-b3a2-6be3a0d04294">Re: Invite my aunt's daughter?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Assuming you are inviting your cousins, I would absolutely include the daughter
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]
    This, absolutely. You might not be blood related to her, but she is your cousin in every other way. It's the same way you're related to your aunt, through marriage.

If you're still unsure, talk to your uncle about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards