Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Thanksgiving Salad

We are celebrating Thanksgiving tonight since H and his friends work at a restaurant.  I am supposed to make a salad.

For dinner parties, I usually make a Caprese salad with arugula, mini fresh mozzarella balls and fresh basil and colorful small heirloom tomatos.  But I am thinking it is too heavy and spring-like for this meal.

Any fall/Thanksgiving salad ideas?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Thanksgiving Salad

• Options
    My suggestion:

Leafy greens
    Cooked asparagus
    Boursin cheese (garlic)
    Tossed in Balsamic Vinaigrette.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    How about roasted beets and gost cheese on top of greens with balsamic vinegar? YOu can add toasted pecans as well.
  • Options
    mocha beansmocha beans member
    First Comment
    edited November 2009
  • Options
    Thanksgiving and salad do not belong in the same sentence.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_thanksgiving-salad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2dd53b20-6926-4091-b34e-60ade59d16a2Post:bba30a25-a6f2-455d-ae86-8db5e6b7ad5e">Re: Thanksgiving Salad</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanksgiving and salad do not belong in the same sentence.
    Posted by Brie2010[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The only salad i like at Thanksgiving are desserts. Fruit salads with marshmallows and whipped cream.
  • Options

DH just made our favorite salad last night ("borrowed" from our favorite restaurant). It's delicious and unusual--and not that hard to make:

endive
    pear slices
    crumbled gorgonzola
    walnuts

That's it. You could prepare it on a large serving plate, with the endive arranged "artistically" and the pear, cheese, and walnuts scooped into the endive. Or just cut up the endive and throw it into a bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Doesn't need a dressing, but if you want one, you could serve a very light vinaigrette.

• Options
    These sound good.

Haha Brie...maybe that is why food network only has 3 salad recipes for Thanksgiving.  It is what I was told to do:(  Everyone else is making the fun stuff  No one trusts my cooking.  My daughter is making Emeril's butternut squash soup...yummmmmm.

Food network had a good bacon, bleu cheese frisee salad with hazelnuts too.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_thanksgiving-salad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2dd53b20-6926-4091-b34e-60ade59d16a2Post:bba30a25-a6f2-455d-ae86-8db5e6b7ad5e">Re: Thanksgiving Salad</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanksgiving and salad do not belong in the same sentence.
    Posted by Brie2010[/QUOTE]

Ditto. 

I can honestly say I have never had salad at Thanksgiving.  There was way too much other food to even bother wasting stomach space with salad.

Wish I could help.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I usually like making more hors d'oeurve type foods.  Pretty to look at.  The endive sounds interesting and more like an hors d'oeurve than a salad. 

Yeah...why am I wasting stuffing and potato stomach real estate on a salad??
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Maybe a grain-based salad? Wild rice with cranberries and nuts, tossed with a little oil and spices. Or I like making couscous with almonds, dried apples, golden raisins and cranberries. You can also serve either of those over lettuce.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options

Check out "fall salads" for more recipes.

I made a salad a couple of weeks ago with persimmons with hazelnuts and a tangerine dressing.  It was really good!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Salad-of-Fall-Greens-with-Persimmons-and-Hazelnuts-105785

• Options
    Thanksgiving salad = macaroni and cheese

just sayin'.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    We have broccoli salad at Thanksgiving.  Fresh broccoli, diced red onion, golden raisens tossed in a dressing of mayo, cider vinegar, & sugar.  It's yummy.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    Have you ever had 7 layer salad? (Lettuce, peas, carrots, cheese, bacon, and whatever else you want, really - cauliflower, tomatoes, etc). Top with some homemade dressing that has mayo in it (can't remember what else) and some sliced hard boiled eggs - yum! I think I'm going to make this for thanksgiving, as I'm also responsible for a salad.
  • Options
    I'd love a salad at TG, but I am from the deep South where we deep fry our turkeys so I don't think a salad would go over well here :( . I think you should do something with dried cranberries, blue cheese crumbles and pecans or walnuts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards