Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Tips on how to ask my grandfather to walk me down the isle.

Hello, everyone!

I am in dire need of advice on how to ask my grandfather (my father's, father) if he would walk me down the isle. This wouldn't be so tricky if I felt a bit closer to him than I do now but considering the fact my father is not around to do play this role in my life. So I was wondering how would you go about asking your grandfather or another man in your life that is special enough to play this role?

Thank you all in advance and I look forward to your wonderful ideas and tips.

Anniversary

Holiday

Re: Tips on how to ask my grandfather to walk me down the isle.

• Options
    "Grandpa, as you know, I'm getting married soon, and it would really mean a lot to me if you would walk me down the aisle."

Best if asked in person, but if you live far apart I think the phone is an acceptable substitute.

Also, if you don't feel that close to him, why are you asking him?  There's no rule that says that a man has to walk you down the aisle... you can ask your mom, or a sibling, or your best friend, or you can walk alone.  It's also perfectly fine to ask your grandfather, but if you're so disconnected from him that you don't know how to ask him if he'd walk you down the aisle, I would guess there are other people in your life you're closer to who could do the job instead.

Also, not to be a jerk, but it's "aisle," not "isle."  An "isle" is a small island.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    I'd just go visit and straight up ask him. If he's not local then a phone call should suffice.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I'd just go visit and straight up ask him. If he's not local then a phone call should suffice.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Thank you, ladies for you input.

I'm asking out of respect to my father, granted I've never known my father since he passed away when I was very young. And it's not just that, I feel it's important to attempt to connect with my fathers side of the family since I no longer have grandparents on my mothers side, and I do not associate with any other relatives including my mother due to things that have happened in the past. Things that are beyond fixable at this point in time. Of course when I ask it will be in person as I feel it would be rather impersonal to do so otherwise when I live 20 mintues away.

Also, thank you, StephBeanWed61502 for pointing out my grammatical error.
    Perhaps, one could walk down an aisle on an isle, no?

Thank you all again so much for your input!
    Anniversary

Holiday
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tips-ask-grandfather-walk-down-isle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:2f0293ed-6f6a-4ed5-91fe-ccbf19e03219Post:f39536a2-a92e-4ede-b63b-9cd079ac28c8">Re: Tips on how to ask my grandfather to walk me down the isle.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you, ladies for you input. I'm asking out of respect to my father, granted I've never known my father since he passed away when I was very young. And it's not just that, I feel it's important to attempt to connect with my fathers side of the family since I no longer have grandparents on my mothers side, and I do not associate with any other relatives including my mother due to things that have happened in the past. Things that are beyond fixable at this point in time. Of course when I ask it will be in person as I feel it would be rather impersonal to do so otherwise when I live 20 mintues away<strong>. Also, thank you, StephBeanWed61502 for pointing out my grammatical error. Perhaps, one could walk down an aisle on an isle, no?</strong> Thank you all again so much for your input!
    Posted by IDO2k12[/QUOTE]

Thanks for being gracious about that - I feel awkward correcting people, but I also know that I'd personally want to be corrected in a situation like that, so I do it anyway and hope the OP doesn't get upset.  And yes, you most certainly could walk down an aisle on an isle (I'm now picturing a bride walking across a small, Robinson-Crusoe-style island to meet her groom!).
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards