Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Bridesmaid Dress Budget

Did you all ask your bridesmaids what their "budget" was for purchasing their bridesmaid dresses? 

I would like to be conscious of what they feel comfortable spending, but am unsure how to word this.  

Re: Bridesmaid Dress Budget

• Options
    Yes.  I asked them each what they wanted to spend before we started shopping. 
  • Options
    I didn't ask, but also chose something on the lower end of the price range.
  • Options
    Yes, you should absolutely ask them what they want to spend.  Asking them to spend more than they can or want to is a great way to cause tension in the friendship.
  • Options
    I think "What do you feel comfortable spending?" is a perfectly acceptable thing to ask your BMs. I don't think it needs to be more complicated than that.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    I didn't ask, but we are all in the same tax bracket so I had a general idea. 
  • Options
    Tax brackets can be broad.  I would just ask, or give them a general color/style and ask them to find things they may be interested in.
    2 of us- a bunch of you! Celebrating the whole night through!
  • Options
    I let them pick, if they could all agree on a dress, that's what they wore.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I automatically went for a lower price range because I know 2 of my girls are victims of the crappy economy. I also asked them what they felt comfortable spending.
  • Options
    But you're Annie Warbucks. Shouldn't your dad be picking up the tab for BM dresses? :) just kidding!

I'd definitely ask them what range they are comfortable spending, or pick a color and let them buy whatever dress they want.
  • Options
    I asked them if they had a preference as to wearing the same dresses or similar dresses. They said they didn't care. I showed them a BM dress that I loved and they all said they could afford it.
  • Options
    I just offered to pay for their dresses.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Please ask them.  I'm a BM in a wedding next year and the bride has yet to discuss budget with us, and I can't seem to find a non-awkward way to bring it up to her.   She's looked at 300 dollar dresses, she's looked at 100 dollar dresses.  It's madness.  And she has NO CLUE what any of us can spend because she hasn't asked.  

Ask them. 

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • Options
    I asked them, and being the dears they are they informed they'd pay whatever I wanted them to.  *facepalm*  I insisted that I didn't even want to look at dresses that were more than they were comfortable paying, since one is a recent graduate with no job lined up, and the other is a college student.  I got them both to finally give me numbers, and I'm trying to keep them as cheap as possible for them.  I also made it clear to them that they should let me know if something is too much.
  • Options
    I am just going to word it as "What do you feel comfortable spending price-range wise on a bridesmaid dress?" 

I also threw in the "Do you prefer all the same style or pick out your own style" which was a good thought. 

I wish Daddy Warbucks was fronting this show!! Unfortunately, this Annie does not have a debonair, billionaire father to pick up the tab! 

Thanks for the good suggestions! 

• Options
    I actually never asked, but kept it a very reasonable price point in mind based on other weddings I had been in.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards