Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Would you take a paycut?

If you were miserable at your current job, the work was meaningless and you and your co-workers knew it, they took away the best perk of the job (travel out of the office), and you were passed over for a promotion that you should have received - would you take a pay cut to take a job that you KNOW you would love because you've done it before and you would get to travel again?  What factors would you need to consider besides the obvious being able to pay bills at the current level you are now? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Would you take a paycut?

• Options
    yes...

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I think it depends on how big of a pay cut. For example, I make next to nothing now, so no I would not take a pay cut.

But I know how much you've been disliking your job, so I think if you can afford to take the cut and there will be room to improve your salary in the future, it is probably a good thing to do.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    ac_in_dcac_in_dc member
    First Comment
    edited January 2010
    I've taken a paycut twice when changing careers, and I haven't regretted it either time. But my situation is a little bit unique.

Is there room for advancement in this new job? Also, how much longer can you feasibly stay on at your current job and keep your sanity?

• Options
    After this week, absolutely.

I would want to know what the possibility for upward mobility would be, where I would max out on their payscale and what opportunities would be provided during the time I worked there.

Other than that, if we could still pay the bills, afford savings and retirement and our golf club membership, I'd be all over it if you felt it would be more rewarding, challenging, and if you thought you'd be more respected for your skills there.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    If you're THAT MISERABLE, absolutely.

I walked out of my last office job when the boss threatened me and called me stupid one too many times. Going down to nothing was certainly a pay cut.

However, I was SO miserable that even though I've been proposed to and all kinds of other awesome stuff has happened in my life, the day I walked out of there is STILL the best day of my life. I laughed all the way home.

So yeah. In cases of extreme misery, I absolutely would take a pay cut. Or a pay... nothing. As the case may be.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_would-paycut?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:32412e14-f59e-4f06-821a-f2fe2a6199fbPost:9595c332-85d1-45cf-aea8-4c32f12c07c6">Would you take a paycut?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you were miserable at your current job, the work was meaningless and you and your co-workers knew it, they took away the best perk of the job (travel out of the office), and you were passed over for a promotion that you should have received - would you take a pay cut to take a job that you KNOW you would love because you've done it before and you would get to travel again?  What factors would you need to consider besides the obvious being able to pay bills at the current level you are now? 
    Posted by danieliza1127[/QUOTE]

Yes, without a doubt.  Hating your job is sould destroying.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    I suppose it would depend if the paycut would still allow me to complete my long term plans.  Retirment, the endless list on the house, etc.  If it would I'd do it in a second.  Happiness in life is just as important.
  • Options
    I did that, actually. I took a massive pay cut to do a job that I really wanted. I'm happier because of it.

I'm lucky bc DH makes a lot of money, so my salary isn't as crucial to our well being. we could afford for me to take time off, go to school, and make a crappy salary. 

If you can swing it, you totally should. life's too short to be working a job that you don't like.
  • Options
    I would, so long as my husband and I could still afford all of our expenses with the new pay.
  • Options
    Yes, as long as I could still live comfortably.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    It would be a $15,000 a year pay cut but the benefits would be job satisfaction, travel in state and out of state almost weekly (which I love), and they would pay for the continuing education of my CFE certification (which my current job won't do).  I don't think there is a ton of room for advancement, unless the supervisor there leaves or retires, and currently there are no raises being given out (it's state government).  So it's not likely that I'd be able to build back up to what I'm making now. 

I've been feeling resigned to being stuck in my current job because they just pay me too much, but I also don't want to be that person who gives up her goals and job satisfaction just for a nice paycheck. 

Obviously all of this depends on whether I even get a second interview, but with my job experience and this position, I'm pretty certain I will - and what my H has to say. 
  • Options

I would probably take it as long as I could pay the bills.  I would also be thinking about

1.  My future and whether I would be able to meet those goals.  For example, if DH and I decide to have kids, would I be better off with my current job (i.e. it is more flexible)? 

2.  If the pay cut would not allow you any money to set aside for retirement someday, that would be a factor for me.  (I've been saving for retirement since I was 22.)

3.  Is the job as secure (job security is huge for me especially with this economy and DH out of a job)

• Options
    Absolutely, as long as you can pay your bills.  You'll be so happy that you did.
  • Options
    Yes, money isn't everything.  As long as I made enough to maintain my life in a good way, I'd do it!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    As long as you could maintain your current lifestyl on the lesser pay, yes I'd take a paycut for a job I knew I'd love.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I did exactly that 2 years ago. I've never looked back. The difference between waking up every morning dreading the day, and looking forward to the day, is totally worth it... x 100.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    Remember, though, the $15K is largely relative. If someone is making $250K, then $15K isn't that much. For someone making $45K, that's a whole 'nother ball game.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for letting me bounce this all of you and for giving me some things to think about.  I can't always count on you!  :)
  • Options
    Hey Dani, totally late to this, but I would do it.  And I think it's great just to feel like you have another option right now given how frustrated you've been. 
  • Options
    I took a 1/3 paycut when I moved to my current job (about $10k/year).
    At my old job I would come home crying every day, smoked from the stress, was incredibly depressed and didn't have time to do anything I loved. My relationship held up because Scott worked for the same company and so he understood what I was going through. Our house was a mess and we ate out every night because no one had the energy to cook. My friends never saw me and I had some darker moments where I thought "what's the point of even waking up tomorrow".

When the school job came up I went to the interview just for the heck of it and figured I wouldnt get it anyways. When I got the job we looked at our finances and figured out that we would actually save money by me getting the new job. I haven't cried over work in over 5 months and found what I want my career to be. We also are saving a ton of money on not eating out for every meal and the apartment is nice and clean. I would 100% do it again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards