Wedding Etiquette Forum

Baby-Mama Wedding Drama?

My mother has entirely hijacked my wedding from the start. And to be honest, I love her and am willing to let her do whatever she wants... as long as it doesn't sacrifice my vision too much. To give you some background, here is a brief list of some of the things she has done:

Keep in mind I am going for a very rustic, yet elegant, wedding

1. Demanding that she gets full control of the menu, which (in her world) features caviar and lavish trays of shrimp

2. Having her dress be custom designed and, from what I've seen, it is considerably more elegant/ glamorous than mine (which is more clean/ architectural)

3. Calling and cancelling appointments that FI and I had made with our venue

4. Taking over decorations and calling for crazy ice sculptures during the coctail hour

But all that, to be honest, I can make work. I don't really care if her dress has more bling or she adds a couple food items I don't particularly care for to my menu. It all comes down to the date.
My wedding was originally scheduled for February 2012... She said this date was horrible because my grandpa's birthday is also in February (WTF?) and so I had to move it. I complied and moved it to December, which I thought would be lovely and Christmas-y and have reasonable weather. She then complained that it was too close to the holidays and I "wouldn't make a profit because people will be buying Christmas presents." Again, FI and I decided to make her happy and moved it one more time, to this August. Now, she thinks it is too soon and really wants me to move it BACK to December or February.....

Now, I really did love the December idea, because Florida in August is seriously hot. But I feel like there comes a point where I need to hold my ground. We've told all our friends and family, and started planning things with our venue and it seems like more of a hassle. I'll admit it has something to do with pride/ credibility loss associated with moving the date again. So, what do I do?

Thanks all, I know this was a ridiculously long post.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards