Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Bridal showers!

Ok so i need honest helpful advice! no bashing please!

Both my mothers side of the family and my fathers side (my parents are divorced) want to throw a bridal shower for me and i am so grateful!

In my mind it would be much more cost effective for my family if we just threw one shower, but i have a few family members that do not get along.

Should i tell my family it is a bad idea to throw it together? My other problem is we are a very distant family and if we had all these people most of them would not know the other family. I do not want people to be uncomfortable!

I would love to have obe big shower to see all my family! i would think we could have "name tags" of how they know me and we could play games and have prizes!

My MOH is  having a shower for our friends so this is family only!

Re: Bridal showers!

• Options
    Let both sides know the other side wants to do a shower also, make sure someone on each side has contact info for the other side, and leave it up to them whether they want to do it together or separate.  They can decide what's more cost effective and least off-putting for themselves.
  • Options
    Are they asking you to make the call on these decisions? If they aren't, just sit back and let them do what they want.

That being said, if I was asked to wear a name tag at a shower I'd probably walk out.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-showers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3af126a8-8ac3-4657-8f07-04ca6278be47Post:222ca05c-d444-4382-b7c2-9e79c656e910">Re: Bridal showers!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Let both sides know the other side wants to do a shower also, make sure someone on each side has contact info for the other side, and leave it up to them whether they want to do it together or separate.  They can decide what's more cost effective and least off-putting for themselves.
    Posted by LarissaAnn[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  It's not up to you to decide what people can afford.  They will probably want to throw two separate showers, and there is nothing wrong with that.  Be gracious and appreciate their offers and let them throw their own showers.  Just make sure they coordinate the dates so you aren't double booked.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-showers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:3af126a8-8ac3-4657-8f07-04ca6278be47Post:222ca05c-d444-4382-b7c2-9e79c656e910">Re: Bridal showers!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Let both sides know the other side wants to do a shower also, make sure someone on each side has contact info for the other side, and leave it up to them whether they want to do it together or separate.  They can decide what's more cost effective and least off-putting for themselves.
    Posted by LarissaAnn[/QUOTE]

Ditto this.  It's up to people throwing the shower(s). 

And why do people always come in here telling us how to respond?
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    I think i am going to send them both emails with contact info so that i can not have to worry about it! the problem is that the people throwing the shower have no idea how strongly the invitees feel about each other lol ;)

and with the name tags we see that alot in my area "Brides ex-roommate" or "Brides aunt" its a good ice breaker =) Its a country thing i guess

I do agree that they are gonna have to fight this one out like adults, i just knew that brides have to come up with a guest list and i was unsure on that part!
  • Options
    Let them decide on how they want to proceed.  BTW most adults are civil in regard to social events, no matter how much they dislike each other or do not get along.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-showers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3af126a8-8ac3-4657-8f07-04ca6278be47Post:4810380f-fa4e-4930-a4e9-5d7eeb3fec95">Re: Bridal showers!</a>:
    [QUOTE] i just knew that brides have to come up with a guest list and i was unsure on that part!
    Posted by MrsSargentDisney[/QUOTE]

Well, the guest lists shouldn't overlap.  So for your mom's side of the family shower, just invite family from her side.  For your dad's side, just invite family from his side.  For the one your MOH is throwing, just invite your friends, your Mom, and your FI's mom. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If you are providing the guest lists to each person throwing the shower, there shouldnt really be a problem.  I would accept each shower graciously, provide the lists, and have a good time!
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards