Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Advice? Target National Bank (Target Visa) sucks

On the 23rd of last month, we paid off our entire $1500 balance and closed our Visa credit card we had with Target. I was told over the phone that I was paying off the entire balance.

We got a bill in the mail for $20 something dollars and I called and spoke to customer service who "explained" to me that interest charges are assessed every 16th of the month. I was confused about why that would have mattered since I paid off the entire balance on the 23rd, after interest charges had already been assessed. She continued to explain things in ways that seemed contradictory. Maybe I'm just more of a credit moron than I thought before, but I still did not understand why I owed them this extra money. She then said that the person I spoke to when I called should have told me about everything and because she didn't she would remove the balance. I verified that we had a $0 balance, thanked her, and hung up. This was weeks ago.. 

We just got a bill from Target indicating that we still owe them the $20 something dollar balance! I really hate credit card companies. Now I'm sure I'll call them and none of the what the previous woman did will show up in our file. Any advice?   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Advice? Target National Bank (Target Visa) sucks

• Options
    Go straight to a supervisor and get written confirmation.  Emailed, faxed, whatever.  Also, take notes on who you spoke with, what was said, etc.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_advice-target-national-bank-target-visa-sucks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3b7f57dd-cc9e-407d-a5a1-3fd4648f5701Post:38235368-2c93-4aff-8279-b3e08250fab3">Re: Advice? Target National Bank (Target Visa) sucks</a>:
    [QUOTE]Go straight to a supervisor and get written confirmation.  Emailed, faxed, whatever.  Also, take notes on who you spoke with, what was said, etc.
    Posted by AmoroAgain[/QUOTE]

This is good advice. I will do that when I call them today.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Target has a national bank?! Target as in the department store?

How bizarre.

In any case, if the interest is only assessed on the 16th of every month, yet calculated on a daily basis, the $20 you owe will be the interest that you were charged between the 16th - 23rd, before you paid off the balance. Most credit card companies charge interest on a daily basis, such that it compounds quite quickly, but bill you on a monthly basis. Does that make any sense?

I am going to go and have another beer! Happy friday night (/morning for you)!

• Options
    What sun said.  Just pay the darn thing, it's only $20 something dollars, and it's not worth a blemish on your credit report.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_advice-target-national-bank-target-visa-sucks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3b7f57dd-cc9e-407d-a5a1-3fd4648f5701Post:38235368-2c93-4aff-8279-b3e08250fab3">Re: Advice? Target National Bank (Target Visa) sucks</a>:
    [QUOTE]Go straight to a supervisor and get written confirmation.  Emailed, faxed, whatever.  Also, take notes on who you spoke with, what was said, etc.
    Posted by AmoroAgain[/QUOTE]
    Whenever possible, get the customer service persons name and ID number for future reference. I have had SO much problem over the phone with companies I wont speak to people without getting that first now.

Good luck.
  • Options
    this happened to me before too. Totally sucks and is bad business.  It's just a way to sucker you into paying more money.
  • Options
    What Sun said is exactly right.  It sounds like you do actually owe this money, as much as it sucks.  You already paid $1500, might as well pony up the $20 in interest you still owe.  Then you'll be done.
  • Options
    You may owe that money, but don't pay it until you get written confirmation that paying x amount will pay off the account in full and cancel the account.
  • Options
    Sun is right
  • Options
    Kind of as an aside, if Target will allow you to keep the account open on a 0 balance with no fees, it's best to leave the account open. When FICO looks at credit they look to see how much  available credit you have. So if you have 1000 on a CC and a 5000 total limit, you are using 20% of available credit. If you close one card, then you are using a greater percentage of available credit, which depending on your situation can hurt your credit score.  

I know you didn't ask for that, but it's good to keep in mind. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards