Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Guest Attire Question

Hey Girls!

I need some fashion advice. I am attending my cousin-in-law's wedding in Indiana this weekend. The wedding starts at 6:00 p.m. Both the ceremony and the reception are being held in a magnificent renovated movie theater. The invitation gave no clue as to the dress "code." It was printed on ivory paper with purple scrolls and a purple ribbon. Here is a description of the 2 dresses I'm considering:

1. Black halter gown with silver sparkles. I originally wore this to a Marine Corps ball (stretchy fabric doesn't wrinkle when flying 3,000 miles!) This is very form fitting with a flouncy high-low hemline. The front of the dress is just above knee-length, and the back sweeps the floor. Great for dancing. I feel like this dress fits the glamourous venue and the evening setting, but I'm worried about being overdressed or being perceived as trying to upstage the bride.

2. Peacock blue cocktail dress. I bought this for a friend's 4th of July wedding. None of the guests at that wedding will be at my cousin-in-law's wedding. The dress has inch-wide straps and a slight v at the neckline. The bust is embellished with blue gems, and there is a panel of ruching down the front of the dress. It's very flattering, but not the most comfortable thing in the world. I feel like this is the "safe" dress, but I'm worried that it might clash with the bridesmaid dresses and the wedding colors.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards