Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Engagment length

My fiance and I just got engaged on valentines day. We had originally thought that we wanted to wait until next may to get married, but due to finances, our impatience ect. we are thinking about getting married sooner. Our families will be chipping in, we are planning a budget wedding and realize that spending money now or later we will still be just as tight and getting married sooner would help us in the long run as far as the unromantic stuff goes (health insurance, splitting bills, ect) We have been together for 3 years and talking about marriage since year one, so I don't think that moving to wedding to October is rushing into things, I am just ready to do the damn thing! lol. 

Thing is we have already mentioned to our families that we were thinking about next may and my sisters having a baby in june or july and I dont want to steal her thunder. Would it be horrible to just mention to my mom how excited we are to get married and how we would like to move the date up? Nothing has been set in stone, and like I said we have only been engaged two weeks so not having our minds made up right now isn't a bad thing.  
Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers

Re: Engagment length

• Options
    I think everything you have said sounds totally reasonable.  No need to worry about "stealing anyone's thunder".

Congrats on the engagement!

Thanks for using paragraphs and punctuation! Always a plus.
  • Options
    Nope, Do the damn thing. (what's my name, what's my name?)
  • Options
    So... your sister is popping out a monster in... June.... and you are worried about "stealing her thunder" four months later when you get married?

Are you on something?
  • Options
    SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited February 2010
    DO it whenever you want. If FI had said he wanted to get married the next weekend, I would have done it. If there is nothing like money or work schedules keeping you from the October date, go for it.

FWIW, my sister was only engaged for 2 weeks. She is still married 12 years later. Do what you want..
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    aggiebugaggiebug member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2010
    If you can save money and afford the wedding you want by Oct then I say go for it, but if you are going to take out loans just wait.

It sounds like you need to make a budget so you can see whether Oct is even an option for you financially
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Options
    October should be plenty of time for your sister, although it's nice of you to think of her that way. As long as you're not making the wedding date in the same month as her due date (thus just inviting her to go into labor the day before your wedding and miss it) you should be just fine. Just invite your future niece or nephew to the wedding, since your sister is going to be nursing and a new mom and all...

At that last, you may say "Isn't this common sense?" but you would be surprised.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    That sounds fine! There's no need to wait if you guys are ready. June baby and October wedding are plenty far apart.
  • Options
    We pushed our wedding up 5 months and are very happy that we did. We did it for several reasons, but it was so nice to be married 5 months sooner than we had originally thought!

Get married in October.
  • Options
    Honestly, we are broke now, we will be broke a year from now, so money isn't something I am worried about.
    My friend plans on letting us borrow her chaffing dishes, we will be making food, friends will be djing and doing photos. I'm not big into flowers so no expense there. Mom is paying for my and soon to be step daughters dress. So as far as wedding costs I think we will be ok, my bigger issue is subleasing or getting out of my lease plus getting a decent car my the new family. Wedding stuff I am not worried about.
  • Options

Yea I guess you are right, my thing was I didnt want my mom and sister to feel like they had to plan wedding showers and baby showers. I guess it isn't so bad because after she has the baby there would still be time for her to recover and develop a routine before throwing wedding showers and all.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_engagment-length?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3e70b7e3-06da-4a5c-be16-9a302279d193Post:ff31bfd7-06b6-41c6-8ffa-299f9073467e">Re: Engagment length</a>:
    [QUOTE]We pushed our wedding up 5 months and are very happy that we did. We did it for several reasons, but it was so nice to be married 5 months sooner than we had originally thought! Get married in October.
    Posted by ggmae[/QUOTE]

Lookit you, Gretch, telling people what to do.  You're a bossy biitch tonight!  ;)
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    We got engaged in early January and we are getting married July 24 this year.  I haven't felt stress in the planning with the short time line.  We knew we didn't want a long engagement.  I say go for it!  Have fun and enjoy everything!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards