Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Thoughts on this?

Someone posted a link to this on Rich's FB---and we has a hearty discussion about it this morning. He's coming from the faculty standpoint--but siding with the student. I'm coming from the student standpoint, but siding with the faculty member.

http://deadspin.com/5477230/nyu-business-school-professor-has-mastered-the-art-of-email-flaming

CN's of the link: A student who was "class shopping" showed up to a professor's class an hour late, and was asked to leave. It was the third class he'd gone into at that time-slot trying to figure out which class he wanted to enroll in. He emailed the prof to complain about how he was treated, and the prof emailed him back and let him have it.

Thoughts?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Thoughts on this?

• Options
    I was going to post this last night!  DH got it from Fark and I cracked the fuuck up!

I totally agree with the professor.  There are MANY ways to find out about a class before taking it.  And if I was teaching a class where a kid stood up and walked out after 15 minutes, I'd be pissed, too.  That's disrespectful, especially if it's planned.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I side with the Faculty. I think I would have been on the student's side, until the prof worded everythign the way he did. Had I wanted to do this, I would have certainly emailed each prof first. Besides, how much can you learn with 20 min of a class?
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2010
    I thought Galloway's letter was great. And actually quite kind. Someone needed to tell that student what's what in the real world and it was nice of Galloway to take the time to do it.

ETA: "nice" is not the right word, but I can't quite think what is. And I guess no one should have needed to tell the student about basic common courtesy, but clearly he didn't get it.
  • Options
    I've never heard of class shopping before. And I'm on degree #3. AND even if I had heard of it, I cannot fathom attempting to pull it off without pissing someone off. Rich thinks the prof was over the top--and could have got his point across without being such a diick...but, I'm not going to lie, I think the prof lurks on (P&)E--because the was he worded that email was so spot-on. <3
  • Options
    I would definately side with the professor.

I think we need more teachers to tell it like it is, when you are looking for a job, no one is going to sugar coat things for you.
    image Married and Junk.
  • Options
    Almost every college professor has a cut-off time for lateness in class.  Fifteen minutes is considered pretty generous.  An hour is absolutely ridiculous. 

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    I agree with the prof.  I agree with Sucrets, there are lots of ways to research a class.  And if you feel like you have to sit in on a class to get a good feel for it, you need to be on time and sit in on the WHOLE thing.  People coming extremely late and leaving early is a huge pet peeve of mine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    This part of the letter is awesome:

Getting a good job, working long hours, keeping your skills relevant, navigating the politics of an organization, finding a live/work balance...these are all really hard, xxxx. In contrast, respecting institutions, having manners, demonstrating a level of humility...these are all (relatively) easy. Get the easy stuff right xxxx. In and of themselves they will not make you successful. However, not possessing them will hold you back and you will not achieve your potential which, by virtue of you being admitted to Stern, you must have in spades. It's not too late.
  • Options
    I side with the professor.  And really, if the names were removed, I don't think having it forwarded to the rest of the class was out of line.  The prof asked him to come to the next class instead of arriving an hour late, that's totally reasonable.
  • Options
    I thought it was worded fine.  Sure, he wasn't 'nice' about it, but he was diplomatic and offered up support for everything that he said. 

And the kid was a prick for giving him 'advice'.

• Options
    Hell, even in my field, breaking out into showtunes isn't acceptable and everyone knows it.

• Options
    From a recent former student standpoint, I always gave people the evil eye if they showed up more than 10 minutes late to class. It's distracting and incredibly rude. I don't understand why he didn't just go to one class on one day and the other the following day it was offered.

I've definitely signed up for a class, decided the professor was horrible or the class wasn't going to be interesting after one class and dropped to pick up something else. It wasn't distracting to anyone else, all done competely outside of the classroom and didn't think it was an issue.  I do hate it when professors make a big deal about cell phones in class or someone showing up late. Drawing attention to the distraction is just making the offense that much more distracting. I'd rather have expectations addressed on the first day and then dealt with outside of class if a problem occurs later. I'm there to learn not to watch you lecture someone that's already been rude.
    August 6, 2011 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    That was a beautifully written note.
  • Options
    My faves are:

I hope the lottery winner that is your recently crowned Monday evening Professor is teaching Judgement and Decision Making or Critical Thinking.

and

You are an anonymous student who is now regretting the send button on his laptop.

• Options
    I hope the lottery winner that is your recently crowned Monday evening Professor is teaching Judgement and Decision Making or Critical Thinking.

LMAO.  DED.

I think the professor was right-on. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_thoughts-this-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:43b96fe3-bbc4-4705-a5c5-1d663763395cPost:f973ee6c-4e9b-44fb-b6d6-8900bde0e1e7">Re: Thoughts on this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My faves are: I hope the lottery winner that is your recently crowned Monday evening Professor is teaching Judgement and Decision Making or Critical Thinking. and You are an anonymous student who is now regretting the send button on his laptop.
    Posted by sucrets4[/QUOTE]

You and I have the same brain.
  • Options
    I think the prof was 100% right.  And the student was way out of line trying to give "advice."
  • Options
    Can't believe the professor had to resign.  That goes to show how far we have come in expecting people to have accontability in life.  The student was late.  I would have dismissed him from class as well.  Basic rules in life.
  • Options
    Wow clearly I should have read more than just the CNs. I've had professors like this and I'm glad. Thankfully I'm not stupid enough to be that rude and have never had that attitude directed at me. The professor was 100% correct and I don't think he was too harsh at all. I wish more professors were like this. College and manners should be taken seriously.
    August 6, 2011 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I've had my fair share of assholey professors, but the difference is that they were just assholes for the sake of it. This prof is, in his way, trying to give this student a reality check and I can't fault him even if someone out there takes offense to his choice of words. Good on him, I say!
  • Options
    I've done "class shopping" but it involves showing up for more classes the first week than I can possibly take, then either dropping some or trying to convince a professor to let me into one I really want but couldn't get into, after he or she sees my wonderful class discussion skills.

I would never leave a class in the middle, even in college. Hell, we have 3 hour classes in my grad program with about a 10 minute break in the middle. I TAed for a prof who would take attendance after the break as well as at the beginning of class.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    LadyJ10LadyJ10 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2010
    The worst part of this is that this isn't even some undergraduate freshman, the student in question is an MBA student!!! I would hope he would take the professor's words of wisdom to heart, as his behavior is not up to the level of a bachelor's candidate, much less an MBA student.

I may be a little biased because I work with college students, but I think the email from the professor is excellent (and could be used in Orientation materials for all students).
    And they're the five best friends that anyone could have, the five best friends that anyone could have! Photobucket
  • Options
    I think I'm going to print that email and post it on my wall here at work... I TOTALLY side with the professor. I run the Light Industrial Staffing division for my company, and I talk to people every day who don't have the slightest clue about the "easy stuff," as he put it.

This absolutely made my day.
  • Options
    Professor, definitely. I want to smack that student.
    planning

• Options
    There were many times that I wanted to write replies like this to students when I was teaching! 
  • Options
    saw that this morning and cracked up (silently, in my head. I was in class). I totally side with the faculty. if one wants to audit a class, the mature and professional thing to do is to talk to the professor and ask if you can audit the class.

Glenna Harding Photography
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards