Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Anyone have government security clearance?

So this might be a long shot...I'm applying for jobs in a town with lots of government/defense jobs. Even for jobs that aren't directly related to R&D or defense, they require that I already have security clerances. I'm wondering if anyone has any idea how I go about this? Yes, I've googled, but some of the official websites are way over my head at this point. I'm just looking for a starting point...
"In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs

Re: Anyone have government security clearance?

• Options
    no, but i work in the same office park as the cia. those jerkwads think they're above using turn signals.
  • Options
    My left front signal light keeps blowing out and I don't have the money to get it fixed for real. I have to disassemble my front bumper to replace the damn light. I feel like a douche when I can't use it.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    i'm sure not *all* those guys have that problem.

if you don't get much response here, maybe try the dc knot/nest boards.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm assuming they make more than a college student and can afford to fix if it were broken.

Thanks, I'll go ahead and do that.
  • Options
    If I'm not mistaken, Katenumbers may fall into this category. I think she works for the Army?
  • Options
    1. If someone has one they shouldn't be advertising it.
    2. You have to be hired in order to get one.
  • Options
    Kiss gg is correct. 
  • Options
    Well hell, that does me no good. I don't understand the job listing then...it doesn't require any experience but says that I already have to have the clearance. I think I'm effed in this town.
  • Options
    My advice is to apply anyway, LVB.  If you're a qualified applicant and are only missing the current clearance, they may still be interested in you.  Stranger things have happened.
  • Options
    Ok, I will. I know I'm qualified for this job (I'm sure the other half a million people are that will apply are also), just lack that security clearance. And the job is just and admin assistant, so it's not like I'll be in R&D or anything.
  • Options
    You have to be hired in order to get one as previously stated.
     Among other things, good credit, good people in your lifes that you surrond yourself with. 
  • Options
    I read all the requirements and it looks like I should be able to get it. Especially since they have to go back 10 years...I was 12.
  • Options
    Also, depending on the wording, they may be implying that you need to be ABLE to acquire a security clearance, and if they hired you they would give you one.  Are you searching on usajobs?
  • Options
    My ex's old job got a defense contract once, and they all had to go through the clearance process. It was long and involved paperwork and it sucked. But I think you do have to get hired somewhere to get it. I'd say apply and tell them you are willing to get clearance, and see no reason why you shouldn't be able to get it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Do you know the type of clearance?

DH was able to get security clearance when he had an internship.  I have to wonder if these places don't want to pay for you to  get clearance but will only hire you if you have it.

• Options
    Kate, this is just on Monster.com. I will look on that site too, thanks.

Banana, that very well could be the case.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anyone-government-security-clearance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:47b7aef9-3957-4975-8b39-8b510774b623Post:77ba8826-3c2a-4c4c-91c1-5577af05bc08">Re: Anyone have government security clearance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you know the type of clearance? DH was able to get security clearance when he had an internship.  <strong>I have to wonder if these places don't want to pay for you to  get clearance but will only hire you if you have it.</strong>
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

N said that it's super expensive to get clearance, so that could be the case.
  • Options
    I'd suggest looking at the websites of some of the specific companies in that town.  I could name them, as I used to see them on my way in and out of my apt, but you prob. don't want me to do that on here.  There are a lot of places that don't post on national job boards, though, because their own site is free. 

DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anyone-government-security-clearance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:47b7aef9-3957-4975-8b39-8b510774b623Post:77ba8826-3c2a-4c4c-91c1-5577af05bc08">Re: Anyone have government security clearance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you know the type of clearance? DH was able to get security clearance when he had an internship.  I have to wonder if these places don't want to pay for you to  get clearance but will only hire you if you have it.

There are a lot of misconceptions about things like this.  Yes, if you already have eligibility granted by another agency, it is obviously appealing to a new agency that they would not have to immediately spend the time and money to do a new one.  However, not all things in the government are corrupt.  If they want you, they'll give you one.
  • Options
    I work in the defense industry, it's costly to get an employee security clearance so many employers like to throw that out there, cheaper for them to hire someone who already has their clearance.  But yes, go ahead and apply.  Good luck!
  • Options
    And my guess is that unless the job deals majorly with the clearance, that's one of the reasons why the company doesn't want to pay for it.

And depending on the clearance, it can be more intense.

I was interviewed for a friend's top secret clearance.  It was pretty cool but a bit intense.
  • Options
    B, could you FB them to me?

Thanks for all your help ladies, I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    Kate, I'm actually not believing that the government is corrupt. 

I'm thinking that a private company will do what it can to keep it's costs down.  Most likely they'll look at the applicant pool and see if it's possible to find a great person ready to go so the person can start right away and costs can be kept down.

• Options
    Banana - very true.  But, private companies vs. the DOD is a different animal entirely.
  • Options
    Sent.  It's not a bad town at all.  It's just really, really nerdy and redneck all at the same time.  I lived in CV.  Did the alternative possibility in KY fall through?
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anyone-government-security-clearance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:47b7aef9-3957-4975-8b39-8b510774b623Post:edf434da-0b76-4045-b72d-82e1e491c16a">Re: Anyone have government security clearance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kate, I'm actually not believing that the government is corrupt.  I'm thinking that a private company will do what it can to keep it's costs down.  Most likely they'll look at the applicant pool and see if it's possible to find a great person ready to go so the person can start right away and costs can be kept down.

This, exactly, was very true in my ex's experience and that was 2001, 2002.  When defense engineering jobs were abundant.  They all wanted somebody else to pay for your clearance.  But, in the end, they had so much work that they needed people and they just wrote the cost of security clearances into their govt contracts. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options
    FI's friend has a security clearance. He works at Los Alamos. They called everyone he knew, practically, including FI, because they were in the same program at grad school. His is really high level, though.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    My H works in the defense industry and has to have a high-ish level of clearance. He didn't have this clearance when he applied for his job although the posting advised that he needed it. His company facilitated his clearance with the US and Canadian governments and were a great resource. He would have been lost trying to get everything in order without someone at least pointing him in the right direction.

He says, "Apply anyway. Most admin jobs in other industries don't require clearance so you won't be the first person they encounter for that department who won't arrive with clearance documents in hand."
  • Options
    Totally agree Kate.  The issue is that a lot of private companies may still do a ton of business with the government.

The people I know with any clearance all work for private companies that are government contractors.
  • Options
    i would say apple.  the only way to have a clearance is to activly have a job that uses it.  Once you leave the job that you have clearance at the clearance terminates immediatly.  your new company can choose to renew it.  If you have had clearance in the last 10 years it makes it very easy to renew.  My Fi had clearance and switched jobs and the new company choose not to renew it.  it ended the day he left his old company.  And my Fi is private sector contractor so everyone is trying to save money with paying for clearance. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards