Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Taking favours home

Hi, 

I was just wondering if anyone had advice as to how to let guests know that they can take the favours home.

At our engagement party, we bought those little bags of Lindt truffles, wrapped a "thank you!" ribbon around the top, and placed them on the plate of every guest. By the end of the night, over 1/2 were left behind. We thought some people just didn't want them, and we told the remaining handful of guests to help themselves to the remaining favours (and they disappeared within minutes).

Now my mom found out from friends that the reason many didn't take them is because they didn't know they could! Ours will be the first Canadian wedding 90% of the parents' generation attend, and in their tradition, favours are not traditionally given. 

Is there a way to let them know the favours are to take home after the reception? We'll be placing them by the plates again, with a thank-you tag. I feel like getting the DJ to announce it will sound stupid for those who already know that they're supposed to take them

Any ideas? Thank you!

Re: Taking favours home

• Options
    MAybe your night can say "enjoy this nice treat. Thank you"....or something like that...

or..if you are doing table visits, mention it then if you notice nobody are taking them..say "omg, try these, they are delicious"
  • Options
    Maybe just add a little note on the tag that says.

"Sweets to end a sweet day. Thank you and Enjoy!" (as seen on another favor tag)
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    On your thank you tag, you could put something like "enjoy this treat on your drive home." That's all I've got.
  • Options
    Thank you for the ideas, ladies! 

I guess we could add some other tag to it that says one of the suggestions, and we can definitely hint at it when we make the rounds to personally thank people, too! I don't know why I didn't think of that.
  • Options
    If favors are not generally given in your circle, I would probably skip them and put the money towards another expense. However, if you still want to do them I think any of the variations above sound fine.   

It seems weird to me that anyone would think that they weren't supposed to eat a bag of candy that was sitting on top of their plate.  Even if they had never been to a wedding that had favors, I think the intention is pretty clear when it's sitting at your individual place setting. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_taking-favours-home?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4ae1f7e1-e6bd-4023-98f4-05b7581b9763Post:1ccd2a00-e32f-492d-ba18-649cbb2e8cfd">Re: Taking favours home</a>:
    [QUOTE]If favors are not generally given in your circle, I would probably skip them and put the money towards another expense. However, if you still want to do them I think any of the variations above sound fine.    It seems weird to me that anyone would think that they weren't supposed to eat a bag of candy that was sitting on top of their plate.  Even if they had never been to a wedding that had favors, I think the intention is pretty clear when it's sitting at your individual place setting. 
    Posted by daveANDkristen[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree- I thought it was self-explanatory too. For months I just thought people didn't WANT the favours, which was fine. But now my mom found this out at a party with all her friends, they just "didn't know".</div><div>
    </div><div>These are only a handful of guests from my mom's side and some from my fiance's parents' side... but not the majority of guests that will attend the wedding. We'lve already fully paid for the favours, so not having them isn't an option anymore. I figure we can try to make it as obvious as possible that they're to take home, and if some are left behind, we'll just tell the guests that stay until late to take any extras home?</div>
  • Options
    We had a candy bar, and I had intended to have our DJ mention to fill up the bags at each place setting, but we forgot to have him say it.  Everyone figured it out.....but maybe you could have your DJ make an announcement.

• Options
    I feel kinda sad that these people missed out on their chocolate.
  • Options
    You could have them handed to people as they leave, I've been to a few weddings that have done that.
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards