Wedding Etiquette Forum

Nickel allergy test

After getting some awesome much needed advice here, I went to get tested for a nickel allergy Monday.  They put 3 strips of tape, each with about 15 different allergens on it on my back, and I'm going back today at 3:30 to get my back looked at and the results back.  I'm assuming I must be allergic to SOMETHING because my back is so so itchy! I've been doing the tattoo slap since about an hour after I left the doctors.  Has anyone gotten this test before?  Do they test you for some "control" substance, like poison ivy, that most people have an allergy to?
 Also, funny side note, the allergist I went to is clearly a bit of a nut job.  She tried to diagnose me with asthma (which I don't have) and when I said my lung function was lower than average because I have some scarring there from a bad bout of pneumonia as an infant she tried to diagnose me with auto immune disease!  I left with an inhaler and a referral to get blood work (which I'm not using and not doing- but wow was she pushy!)  Once this test is done I am definitely never going back there.

On another note on taking advice here I got my ring cleaned, resized and replated (all for free where he bought the ring).  It is MUCH more comfortable now (although still a little bothersome) and I forgot how shiny it was when it was new!  I keep moving my finger around at work to make it flash, pretty!  Thanks for the great and very helpful suggestions girls!

Re: Nickel allergy test

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nickel-allergy-test?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4b6f1b56-0658-4e8a-9ae2-d9182430e59aPost:94b12a7a-f6e3-48df-b1a7-463bb88e8125">Nickel allergy test</a>:
    [QUOTE]After getting some awesome much needed advice here, I went to get tested for a nickel allergy Monday.  They put 3 strips of tape, each with about 15 different allergens on it on my back, and I'm going back today at 3:30 to get my back looked at and the results back.  I'm assuming I must be allergic to SOMETHING because my back is so so itchy! I've been doing the tattoo slap since about an hour after I left the doctors.  Has anyone gotten this test before?  Do they test you for some "control" substance, like poison ivy, that most people have an allergy to?  Also, funny side note, the allergist I went to is clearly a bit of a nut job.  She tried to diagnose me with asthma (which I don't have) and when I said my lung function was lower than average because I have some scarring there from a bad bought of pneumonia as an infant she tried to diagnose me with auto immune disease!  I left with an inhaler and a referral to get blood work (which I'm not using and not doing- but wow was she pushy!)  Once this test is done I am definitely never going back there. On another note on taking advice here I got my ring cleaned, resized and replated (all for free where he bought the ring).  It is MUCH more comfortable now (although still a little bothersome) and I forgot how shiny it was when it was new!  I keep moving my finger around at work to make it flash, pretty!  Thanks for the great and very helpful suggestions girls!
    Posted by NYCFoodieBride[/QUOTE]

I had the test done, they wouldn't let me leave though. My allergist diagnosed me with Asthma but they ran a lot of lung tests though and it wasn't done on the first visit.

That's great the ring is more comfortable now! You seem happier about it now, which is great! I'm sure the bothersomeness will go away once you get used to it. Mine is a smaller ring and I loved it but for a while it drove me nuts getting hung on stuff and just felt weird having a ring on that finger.
  • When I had a test like that done, they tested over 150 allergens, so I don't have a clue about one more like yours. Also, I was allergic to approximately everything in the world, so I don't know if they include a control or  not.

I was also not allowed to leave.  Although that could have been because the testing covered my entire back, arms and part of my legs.

Hope the tests turn out well (and that you find a better allergist if you need to in the future!)
  • I had mine on for a few days, then returned to the dermatologist.  She removed them and determined I had a nickel allergy.  I actually had a small rash where this particular test marker was.  If your back is still itchy, who will obviously be allergic to something!  I hope it's not something terribly hard to shy away from!

And I'm glad your ring is feeling better already!  If you can continue to wear your ring for a few weeks, only taking it off for showers, it will be like its not even on your finger anymore!  I never wear jewelry, I've actually had the same post earrings in my ears for 4 years now, so it took me sometime to get used to my e ring.  I feel funny if its not on now!
  • I have had a scratch test for other allergens, but I have known since a very young age that I've been allergic to nickel because I break out where the rivets are on blue jeans.

• When I had a scratch test for allergens, I had to stay in the room so they could make sure I didn't stop breathing or anything. I'm severely allergic to a bunch of plants. :P

I don't know if I'm allergic to nickel, but I'm definitely sensitive to it. I can't wear earrings or necklaces that are nickel plated.
  • Just got back!  No nickel allergy (yey! that should save me a few hundred $$) but I do have an allergy to epoxy resin, which is sometimes in soaps/lotions/etc.  The doctor advised me to clean my ring with an ammonia and warm water bath and a soft lint-free cloth (or coffee filter) 3-4 times a week to remove any residue that may irritate my skin. 

Also I'm jealous of you girls who got it done in one visit- double the visits means double the copay, and this test cost me $100!  Still better than spending an extra few hundred on platinum if I was allergic though I guess.
  • That's great you don't have a Nickel Allergy! Yeah $100 is a lot better than getting it re-done.
  • I had the same test done years ago, and I have a pretty severe nickel allergy. I already knew about that, but it came standard on the test. I ended up with some prescription steroid cream after the results came back. My reaction to the nickel was immediate and strong, and I had a giant itchy hive for a week, even with the steroids.

My rings are palladium, which has the same properties of platinum with a smaller price tag.
  • I'm allergic to nickel too! I've never had a test done, but as soon as I started wearing nickle-free and hypo-allergenic metal, it stopped. I had the jeans rivets problem too, but luckily that faded, so I can wear them with no problem now. But around my neck and face are still super sensitive, so I have to watch out with earrings, necklaces, headbands, and even sunglasses. It makes me sad sometimes because so many cute vintage/homemade jewelry at fun shops are off limits. I guess my body just has expensive taste wanting pure metals like gold or platinum :P
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards