Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Save the dates for early Jan wedding?

I wasn't planning on sending out save the dates since we are on a limited budget. However, we are getting married Jan. 4 and a good portion of our family lives out of town. Due to the fact that a lot of our family have children and the close date to the holidays would you recommend sending out save the dates so they can start planning or can we just spread it via word of mouth until our invitations get out? 

Re: Save the dates for early Jan wedding?

• Options
    STD's are completely optional.  If you're on a tight budget, and concerned about people needing to make plans, I would just spread it word of mouth.  If you decide to do STD's, you can get them pretty cheap through vistaprint, especially with a groupon or living social coupon, wait a few more months, maybe like June, to send them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    STDs are generally sent out between 6-9 months out, so I'd wait a bit anyway. Ditto PP about Vistaprint with a groupon, you can get them very inexpensively. 
  • Options
    STD's are sent between 6-9 months out generally.  They are not necessary though.  I just sent an e-mail to our VIP's with the date and a few details when we booked our venue.  I figured that was sufficient to make sure the people we really couldn't see getting married without them had the necessary information and it didn't cost anything.
  • Options
    CnSinLOVECnSinLOVE member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2013
    My fiance and I had a friend take some cute pictures with us kissing in the background and had our son sitting in front of us holding a sign with our wedding date on it! It was super cute! Then we printed the pictures off at a local photo shop for super inexpensive and then I printed off little cards on cardstock that said "We can't wait to celebrate with you!" That's what we sent out to our guests! We only have about 60 guests, but with postage and all it only cost us about 30 dollars and everyone really seemed to love how cute it was!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm going to assume that you probably still need to compile everyone's addresses for the formal invitations?  If so, then you can contact everyone that you KNOW you are inviting to the wedding and when asking for their address, let them know that you're compiling addresses for your upcoming wedding on Jan. 4 in whatever city/state it's going to be held at.  This way you kill 2 birds with 1 stone.  The only thing I caution you about is that whoever you give this information to HAS to be invited to the wedding (you can't change your mind later).  So be 100% sure that they will be invited before you do this.
  • Options

Sent mine around 7 months out, Vista Print and 123Print.com are really good. I ordered my STDs from 123 Print and I think 100 of them plus envelopes was about $40. The PP that mentioned just sending to OOT guests- that's really good to save money.
    On a side note- Be VERY careful sending them, make sure you really want those people. Looking back, I wish we hadn't sent them to probably 3 people on our guest list because I really don't care if they come or not and I'd prefer to not invite them at this point. Once you send a STD, you have to invite them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2013 Brides Siggy Challenge: Cake image
  • Options
    I would stray closer to the 9 month mark JUST because it's still so close to the holidays - people may need to take extended leave from work if they're REALLY OOT and flights around that time sky rocket.

But if you're really close with the family who is OOT, then you can just verbally tell the "responsible one" of the household so they will keep it on their calendar.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    DH and I just got married this past saturday and we sent our STD out about 9-10 months before the wedding. We wanted to make sure that with the holidays and everything, everyone planned accordingly. Yes it was early, but it worked for us....for the most part. His family accounted for most of our OOT guests and they still planned things too close to the wedding to make it even after they had the date.

Given the timing and number of OOT guests, I would advise sending them out, but they are entirely optional.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I don't want the family spreading the word too much because I am inviting some people from one side of the family but not others just because we are closer to them and see them more often. I already have family telling people that I'm debating inviting what day the wedding is and everything so they can be there. I was just thinking I'd have to send out around 50 STDs plus stamps. It's just all adding up quickly and getting a little overwhelming. You're right though, flights can be crazy around that time so I should do something. And thanks for the heads up about sending STDs to people I'm on the fence about, I have a lot of those on my list. 
  • Options
    Since it sounds like it's a close family that talks to each other, once you figure out who is invited and who isn't, stick with it.  I got a STD to a friend's wedding and we have mutual friends that we are close with.  They didn't get the STD so they assumed they weren't invited.  (PS - we had the STD on our fridge and they have been over multiple times so they figured out that they didn't get one pretty quickly).  When they later got the invite, they refused to go because they felt "B" listed.  I don't really blame them for feeling that way.  I'd just figure out from that part of the family who is and who is not invited.  Once it's decided, don't change it.
  • Options
    I am also getting married on Jan 4 and had this same question.  I am thinking around May is when I am going to send mine out.  I am doing this because of the time, and that I feel people should be aware of the date because it is the weekend after Christmas week.  I did a website through the knot that also has a save the date option that you email out to people.  I haven't looked into it but i would be suprised if it cost anything.  This would be a good option for those who you want to invite for sure but maybe live close enough that would not need one mailed.  You could put the same little invitation on the page and email it to those who you think would be appropriate.
  • Options
    vinnieandmegsvinnieandmegs member
    First Comment
    edited January 2013
    VistaPrint! Seriously worth it. I used them and was also a budget bride. They were so affordable and came out REALLY nice. I loved them. We sent them out about 4-5 months before the wedding. It is a wonderful way to give a heads up. We had photos taken by a friend so it was really cute including a sweet picture of us, too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards